Thread: Shayne Gostisbehere

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Shayne Gostisbehere

I wondered what everyone thinks of this kid. I watched him during the frozen four and he seemed to keep the zone well and be a decent defensemen...

Will he make the show? He needs to add some size but can he be a PP2 dman?

Any upside?

Dobber Sports Stud

I recently picked this kid up after reading Chris Peter's article over at United States of Hockey picking him as one of the top performers at Team USA's WJC camp recently held at Lake Placid.
    Here is the link.

His 22 pts in 41gms as a freshman D at Union College is impressive.
    I think the Flyers have a bit of a steal with the 3rd rounder if he continues to develop. I'll be watching him at the 2013 WJC this winter.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Administrator

If he is showing signs now, then there is definitely upside for later. My only issue is that he is 19 and way undersized, and simply is not one of the rare talents that will be fast-tracked to stardom. Dmen simply need time to develop. In fantasy hockey, he is a tough sell IMO.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

He definitely needs to add weight but at 5'11", he wouldn't be the only D in the NHL at that height.
    He's a puck moving D which the Flyers don't have a lot of in their system. He certainly is under the radar but worth keeping an eye on.

From CSNPhilly.com-
    “The kid came on the radar at mid-season and started to play better, our guys in the East happen to see him a lot,” said Chris Pryor, the Flyers director of hockey operations, who oversees the draft.

“He has a good head, good stick, and can make plays. He’s only a freshman and he’s in a good situation.”

His own self-evaluation? While he admits he’s a skating defenseman, he said three times, “I’m not a slouch on defense.”

I also found some info over at HFBoards about him-

"He was the 4th ranked ncaa player and had the 2nd most points as a defender in the ncaa." from sa cyred

"The Flyers picked up an absolute stud in Gostisbehere. I saw him play a handful of games this season and he will definitely play in the show. 160 pounds is small but he played this season as a natural freshman at Union so he will definitely bulk up. Although a natural freshman, he played with the poise of an all-american.

Additionally, he's been invited to the US World Junior Team camp and I can definitely see him making the team this winter.

All in all he was originally slated as a 5th rounder, but he had such a great post-season that he was talked about as a fringe 2nd round or a sure fire third rounder over the past month, so this was by no means a reach for Philly. If Philly hadn't taken him he would have been off the board within the next few picks. Great pick by Philly and this kid will arrive on your blue line (not the Phantoms) by 2014 or 2015." from Hockey161616
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic