Thread: The Edmonton Coaching Gold Mine

I...am your father.

Default The Edmonton Coaching Gold Mine

We've seen it before.

Ed Olczyk coaches a team that is primed for a breakout, but he has been with them during their early struggles and by the time they are ready to win... they have a bit of a losing mentality with the current coach. Michel Therrien takes over and 'voila', he's a star coach who leads them to 47 wins. Just a great coach all of a sudden, right? No. I could have taken over that team and had that success.

Dale Tallon builds patiently through smart drafting and signing. He leaves a few faxes with an underling to take care of, and fails to follow up. After all, how could someone forget to fax contracts? He assumed it got done, and that turned out to be a mistake. He fell on the sword, which to me was honorable. Anyway, he gets fired. Stan Bowman takes over and 'voila' they win the Cup. Wow, what a great GM, right? No. I could have taken over that team and had that success.

The Oilers finish last year after year, stocking up on elite players. How many years in a row can a team add the best teenager in the world without moving into the playoffs? Probably five or six. Well, that's done now. Tom Renney is great with the kids, but a new coach will get them thinking 'win' every game. Let's call the new coach Mr. X. So Mr. X leads this team to 12th in the league in 2012-13, up from 29th. Wow! He should win the Jack Adams, right? Uh, no. I can coach the Oilers next year and move them up the standings.

Yes, I'm exaggerating, but I'm dead serious about the point of all this. Whoever coaches the Oilers next season will be hailed a hero, no matter how crappy he is. Was Therrien a good coach? No, Dan Bylsma had to come in and get them over the hump. But he was hailed a hero. Is Bowman a good GM? The jury is still out, but I'm not impressed with anything he has done...but he has a Cup ring.

Sometimes, it's all in the timing. Congratulations Mr. X on your 2013 Jack Adams nomination.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

hear hear, well said

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, that's probably true. I hadn't thought about it, but yeah, it happens.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Administrator

What about Burke/Ducks?

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ninja

It's really looking more and more like Sutter will get the job, but who knows for sure. I'm no certain even Scotty Bowman himself could clean up the giant mess in Edmonton right now.

I...am your father.

Giant mess? I guess, when you have too many future superstars in a bucket, some are bound to spill over and make a mess on the floor. Is that what you mean?

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The Oilers still need a starting goalie and six d-men..

Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov will score.. They just need someone to defend..

I am very interested to see who will be named coach..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Whoever coaches the Oilers next season will be hailed a hero, no matter how crappy he is.
    Disagree.
    I think you are pushing the words here.

"Hero" = saves the day = Playoffs.
    There is a very distinct line, IMO, for a coach being called a "hero".

If you "almost" save a person from drowning, you are not a hero.
    If EDM's coach "almost" gets them to the playoffs, he won't be a hero.
    Keep his job... yes... hero, no.

(I get the point... but for somebody who reads as much as you do... perhaps you could pick a better word.)

I...am your father.

That's what I'm saying Pengwin - he'll get them into the playoffs. And I know this team's track record is to miss the playoffs for so many years in a row. But this is the year they'll get in, and it is just coincidence that they have a new coach. Chicken, meet egg. Did they get in thanks to the new coach? I say NO. But fans and media will mostly say YES.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If the new coach takes the team from 29th to a playoff team then I will hail him as a hero, yes!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    That's what I'm saying Pengwin - he'll get them into the playoffs. And I know this team's track record is to miss the playoffs for so many years in a row. But this is the year they'll get in, and it is just coincidence that they have a new coach. Chicken, meet egg. Did they get in thanks to the new coach? I say NO. But fans and media will mostly say YES.
    I think you go to far Dobber...pray tell explain where exactly you see them fitting into this? CGY sucks so you can kick them out, but who else are they going to usurp to sneak into the playoffs? Lots of those teams are good-getting better

Administrator

I think it's going to be really hard to say where all these teams are going to be since it's going to be a long offseason with lots of moves to shake out not to mention the fact that with the CBA negotiations coming in the fall there could be rule changes. If the league responds to the reduction in scoring by making rule changes to open things up the Oilers would surely benefit while more defensive teams who have benefitted from the relaxing of the whistles by the referees will suffer.

Now I won't point any fingers but I feel as though half the teams up there directly benefitted from the relaxed attitude towards interference.

Looking at it more specifically I would say that Calgary probably falls out. Colorado could go any direction. Dallas is probably in a similar boat, although I personally like their direction with new ownership. Los Angeles could be burnt out from a long playoff run. Ditto for Phoenix, especially since they could be losing several of their vets. San Jose appears on the verge of imploding. Nashville won't be the same if they lose even one of Weber or Suter. It will be interesting to see what happens to Detroit if Lidstrom retires.

Now none of this is saying that the Oilers as they are currently constructed would pass any of these teams but as I mentioned it will be a long offseason and there is no telling that the Oilers will remain as they are currently constructed. All we know right now is that the Oilers are loaded with hungry young talent and the right coach could harness it. I don't think it is as obvious as Dobber says that the Oilers will explode for the next coach but I do think if they add a big time defenseman that they should.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I think it's going to be really hard to say where all these teams are going to be since it's going to be a long offseason with lots of moves to shake out not to mention the fact that with the CBA negotiations coming in the fall there could be rule changes. If the league responds to the reduction in scoring by making rule changes to open things up the Oilers would surely benefit while more defensive teams who have benefitted from the relaxing of the whistles by the referees will suffer.

Now I won't point any fingers but I feel as though half the teams up there directly benefitted from the relaxed attitude towards interference.

Looking at it more specifically I would say that Calgary probably falls out. Colorado could go any direction. Dallas is probably in a similar boat, although I personally like their direction with new ownership. Los Angeles could be burnt out from a long playoff run. Ditto for Phoenix, especially since they could be losing several of their vets. San Jose appears on the verge of imploding. Nashville won't be the same if they lose even one of Weber or Suter. It will be interesting to see what happens to Detroit if Lidstrom retires.

Now none of this is saying that the Oilers as they are currently constructed would pass any of these teams but as I mentioned it will be a long offseason and there is no telling that the Oilers will remain as they are currently constructed. All we know right now is that the Oilers are loaded with hungry young talent and the right coach could harness it. I don't think it is as obvious as Dobber says that the Oilers will explode for the next coach but I do think if they add a big time defenseman that they should.

all good points, but your boys need a basic defense for it to be relevant...its not like they were a cusp team this year dude, they were 21 pts out, that's not going to be as easy as you imagine with the competition they have in the west

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    all good points, but your boys need a basic defense for it to be relevant...its not like they were a cusp team this year dude, they were 21 pts out, that's not going to be as easy as you imagine with the competition they have in the west
    Not even pretending for a second that it's going to be easy but I also know how big a factor a top tier defenseman can have on a team. I honestly believe that if they were to add a Weber or a Suter that they should be a playoff team but adding one of those guys is not easy.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg