Thread: Mr. Ben Scrivens - An in depth read

The Great One

Default Mr. Ben Scrivens - An in depth read

Introduction: I am a Leaf supporter, so take this with a grain of salt.

Alright, lets start from the beginning.

Ben Scrivens born in Alberta on September 11, '86. He started his Junior hockey in the Alberta Junior league and in his final year went on to post a 2.43 GAA and a .921 SV% which warranted the Team MVP award, and also an All-Star representation.

He wasn't drafted however, which forced Scrivens to focus on his education. He ultimately joined Cornell University. In his rookie year, he played 12 games winning just 3 of them but posting a 2.30 GAA and .911 SV%. The starting goalie at the time (for comparison) played 24 games, winning 11 and had a GAA of 2.41 and a .899 SV%.

The following year, the coaching staff obviously felt Scrivens was the more complete goalie and played him in 35 out of the 36 games. With the heavier workout load, nobody could predict what his numbers would look like, but they kept on improving. A .930SV% is just ridiculous over the coarse of a season and his 2.02GAA was the cherry on top. He was an honorable mention All-Ivy League after the season

Fluke season? Maybe. Scrivens was put back to the test playing in 36 games in his Junior year. Again, posted ******ed numbers 1.81GAA and a .931SV%. Although he was starting to gain attention in his sophomore year, it was his junior year that finally made scouts believers. He picked up personal awards such as: 2nd All star team nomination, national player of the week, and again was an honorable mention for All-Ivy League. However the biggest personal accolade came when his name came being discussed with other ranked NCAA netminders.

Already playing in 83 out of a possible 108 games, Scrivens was ready to make his mark as a Senior. NHL clubs already expressed interest at this point, but Scrivens wanted to finish his last year of his schooling, before trying the pro route. Again, he played in 34 games had a 1.87GAA and a 9.34SV%.

"He recently had two shutouts in two days to lead his 7th ranked Cornell Big Red to its 12th E.C.A.C. tournament title. Going into Cornell’s first-round N.C.A.A. tournament game against New Hampshire on Friday, Scrivens’s current shutout streak is 230:30 minutes, 10 minutes shy of four straight games. The streak is a Cornell record, which puts Scrivens in elite company. Notable Cornell netiminding alumni include the six-time Stanley Cup winner Ken Dryden, David LeNeveu, and David McKee. (Source, N.Y. Times)"

Cornell were ECAC Champions, Scrivens was a first team all star, goaltender of the year, and a Hobey Baker finalist (top 10).

"His record as one the the NCAA all-time greats is clear – currently fourth in career shutouts, with 18, and second in consecutive games started, with 103"

At this point it was clear Scrivens was going to be a professional goalie, somewhere. He earned his degree (Hotel Administration - something to fall back on, I guess) and was taking in all his options.

He eventually signed with Toronto because of one main reason. Welcome Francois Allaire. Allaire worked with Scrivens during an off-season goalie camp in Europe the summer before and apparently Scrivens liked what Allaire had to offer.

“He’s the best goalie coach in the game,” said Scrivens. “I felt it was my best chance at developing as a player is to work with who I think is the best coach in the game.

“For me it was a no-brainer to get to Toronto by whatever means necessary.”

Allaire's reputation probably didn't hurt.

Brian Burke admitted that he didn't think he would be able to sign Scrivens since they recently signed Rynnas out of Finland. With Giguere, Reimer, Gustavsson, and Rynnas already in the system it would mean he would have to fight for a AHL spot come training camp. While other teams offered Scrivens a chance to start higher up in the organization, it wasn't enough to pry him apart from Allaire.

“I knew I wasn’t coming into a role in the NHL on a silver platter,” said Scrivens. “I’ve had to build my way up from my days in midget on. I never played Triple A hockey until my last year of midget. I had to fight for a spot in Junior A. Went to college and had to fight for a spot.

“Now this is my first year pro and I’ve had to fight for a spot in every level. That’s how it’s gone. All I can do is work hard and prove I can be above that spot they have me pegged in.”

Scrivens started his first pro year in the ECHL for the Reading Royals. In 13 games he posted his usual numbers, 2.23GAA and .938SV%. With injuries to Giguere and Rynnas, and the poor play of Gustavsson, Reimer came out of nowhere to take the Leafs #1 goalie position, which left a vacant hole with the Marlies. Probably earlier than expected, Scrivens wasn't about to complain about his chance. His numbers 'dropped' a little bit from the ECHL but he still displayed an impressive 2.33GAA and a .924SV% in his first 33 games in the AHL. He never went back to the ECHL.

That upcoming July 1st, the Leafs re-signed Scrivens.

He started the year with the Marlies, posting incredible numbers yet again. 2.04GAA and .926SV%. This time his call up came with the Leafs. In his first game in Columbus he stopped 38 of 39 shots for his first win. Two days later he got shelled by Boston giving up 5 goalies on 14 shots and was pulled after 35 minutes. He ended up playing 12 games for the Leafs posting 3.13GAA and a .903SV%.

What I found interesting about his very short NHL career was his ability to bounce back after a bad performance. Call it inconsistent, or call it mental toughness, but Scrivens never started two bad games in a row for the Leafs.

Another thing to take away from this is that Scrivens improved his SV% every single year. That is truly remarkable, considering the .930's he was posting.

Scrivens is playing for the Toronto Marlies in their playoff run as I type this and he has been a big reason to their success this far. In 6 playoff games, he is posting a jaw dropping 1.68GAA and a crazy .939SV%. The Marlies have a nice mix of some vets and young guns and with Scrivens between the pipes, this team has Calder Cup aspirations.

For those looking for "the next goalie" it could/might be the undrafted kid from Cornell, or maybe I'm another Leafs homer!
    Last edited by Mr. Guru; May 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM.

Administrator

Scrivens is good, but I don't like his opportunity in Toronto. Reimer is signed for two more years and they will bring in a veteran this summer, leaving Scrivens out of the mix by default.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I don't believe they will bring in another goalie in the offseason. I think they will go with Reimer and Scrivens next year. For a few reasons...

1) Burke is stubborn. He claims to believe in Reimer and I don't think he's lying. Although rumour has it the Leafs mgmt is divided on Reimer being "the guy" I think the side that believes in him strongly feels the injury in Montreal derailed his season. And I believe Burke is on that side.
    2) Scrivens has nothing else to prove at the AHL level. He's ready to at least be an NHL backup.
    3) There are no obvious alternatives via free agency and/or trade that are no-brainer upgrades over Reimer or Scrivens.
    4) Most importantly... New coach to start next year and he brings with him a complete philosophical change... Carlyle is a D-first coach and therefore goalie-friendly. Wilson's run-and-gun style abandoned their goalies way too often and gave up too many premium quality chances. Not only was their system putting too much pressure on their goalies, their D-man are also turnover machines in their own zone. Fix that stuff first. Then see how the goalies do. Yes, I fully acknowledge that Gus and Reimer also let in too many soft goals. But I think that was a by-product of the pressure building and building. Better defense will automatically help the overall goals against, reducing the pressure on the goalies... less likely to play so "tightly." If they can relax, the easy stops will no longer sneak through them like they did last season.
    When Burke openly said in his end of season presser:

"He wants to upgrade in goal, at centre and make his team bigger and harder to play against."

Those his words. For you to say he will stick with his current goaltending situation is naive. Its his stubborness that basically caused them to miss the playoffs. He was stubborn in not acquiring a goalie at the deadline, stubborn in not firing Wilson early enough, stubborn stubborn stubborn. On that I will agree with you. That being said, he learned from his mistakes and he wont make the same mistakes going into this season. He will upgrade his goaltending by acquiring a short term fix and allow Reimer to learn. I can see them going out and getting a Vokoun or Roloson and signing him to a short term contract, or acquiring a goalie who only has a year left on his deal (Khabibulin, etc) and giving Reimer a learning parter to lean on as he grows.

It was Reimers and Monsters inexperience that hurt the Leafs down the stretch. Burke wont let that happen again this year.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

"Upgrade their goaltending."

Indeed - Scrivens is an upgrade over Gustavsson.

I watched almost every game last year. Pinning it all on the goalies is simply ridiculous. Unless you're trying to get a job with the Star or the Sun. They love scapegoats too.

Fix the defence first. It is flawed and rotten to the core. Phaneuf, Schenn, Komisarek, Liles, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Franson... only 1 of those 7 (Gunnar) really knows how to play defence. Only 1!!! I don't care if they have the best goalie in the league... this team goes nowhere with those 7 d-men. Unless Carlyle can weave the same kind of magic like Burns did so long ago...
    I dont know if I can agree. Scrivens played well in the AHL, but Monster played well in the NHL. He was just too inconsistent. If you seriously consider Scrivens an upgrade over Gustavsson, thats fine but all you did here was upgrade your back up goaltender. Congrats for doing little to improve your position.

The Leafs need an upgrade/improvement in their starter. Right now, Scrivens isnt an upgrade in their starter. I believe Gustavsson is done in Toronto, but thats only because they plan on bringing in experience to aid Reimers growth. Scrivens will be starting in the AHL again next year, except for injury call ups.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

"Upgrade their goaltending."

Indeed - Scrivens is an upgrade over Gustavsson.
    He could have just waived/demoted Monster and recalled Scrivens...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Im in the minority here, but I don't think Toronto's goaltender position is a major concern.

I think Burke will see what happens on the goalie front in the summer. If he can get a guy like Vokoun, Roloson, Clemmenson (in that order) for dirt cheap Im all for it.

If not, roll with the young kids.

Grab a #1 center somehow, shore up the blueline and Id be happy.

Dobber Sports Pro

It was clearly the injury that de-railed Reimer. I don't think the Leafs are comfortable going wiht Reimer/Scrivens, but they also don't want to overspend on an older backup.

Bringing in a guy like Bernier makes no sense, as you already have 2 capable guys in Reimer/Scrivens.

Cutting down on the qualit scoring chances is the key. Moving Schenn will help.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta