119. This poll is closed
  • Daniel Sedin

60 50.42%
  • Ilya Kovalchuk

59 49.58%

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #2 D. Sedin vs. #6 Ilya Kovalchuk

Administrator

Default [Cage Match Tournament] #2 D. Sedin vs. #6 Ilya Kovalchuk

Welcome to the Sweet Sixteen lords and ladies! Remember, this poll is for a points only keeper league. Make sure you read the article on the front page to see the full bracket and get caught up on the action but for now cast your votes and comment away, we want to hear what you have to say!

Here are links to the other polls this round:

#1 H. Sedin vs. #4 Perry
    #1 Stamkos vs. #5 Seguin
    #2 Tavares vs. #6 Benn
    Last edited by metaldude26; March 17, 2012 at 2:57 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This one was really tough...probably the toughest one for me to choose so far. Ended up going with the safer more consistent pick in Sedin...but Kovie will reward those who stick with him through his lows and highs.
    12 Team Keeper (max 4 years) ($270 RLD)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, and 2 G weekly
    STATS: F (G,A,GWG) D (G,A,+/-) G (W,GAA,SV%)
    FWD -
    DEF-
    GOAL-

Dobber Sports Expert

Very close one for me but i gotta go with Kovy he is still 3 years younger.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Man this is getting a lot tougher.

I went with Kovalchuk though because of the upside.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Sedin, far more consistent and a has a better setup man.
    10-Team Non-salaried H2H Keeper, 20 Players Each, Keeping 10
    13 active (3 C, 5 W, 3 D, 2 G, 2 Util) / 7 reserve
    Player Stats: G, A, P, PPP, HIT, BLCK, SHP, SOG
    Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SAVE%, SO, Saves

C: Barkov, Schiefele, Tavares, Trocheck
    W: Kucherov, Panarin, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, Wilson, Hall, Keller, Kubalik, Toffoli, Hathaway
    D: Sergachev, Doughty, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy, Markstrom, Francouz

Dobber Sports Wizard

Went with Sedin but I hovered over the submit button for awhile before clicking. I love Kovy's scoring upside as there aren't many players who have the talent to score 50 goals at any time. But on pure points Sedin is the better choice imo.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Sage

I went with Kovalchuk in the closest one for me yet. I don't know how he is a 6 seed when he is in the top 5 or 10 in the NHL among active scorers in PPG and in the prime of his career (Daniel is not). This guy takes way to much slack around here and in the media. If he was Canadian... Sorry Daniel bad match up...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I went with Kovalchuk in the closest one for me yet. I don't know how he is a 6 seed when he is in the top 5 or 10 in the NHL among active scorers in PPG and in the prime of his career (Daniel is not). This guy takes way to much slack around here and in the media. If he was Canadian... Sorry Daniel bad match up...
    You have to remember that polling of the selection committee was done over a month ago. In that time Kovalchuk has rocketed up the scoring chart (particularly in the past two weeks). So, much like the NCAA tournament, this appears to be as much about peaking at the right time as it is about actual talent. Also you should keep in mind that being a 6-seed still places you in the top 24. There is a lot of fluctuation at the top, which is what makes this tournament so fun.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Jeez... talk about the "what have you done for me lately" factor in these polls... I am flabbergasted as to why this one's even close.

They are only 3 years apart... as MD alluded to, just a month ago this wouldn't have even been close. Sedin is the easy choice here.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Jeez... talk about the "what have you done for me lately" factor in these polls... I am flabbergasted as to why this one's even close.

They are only 3 years apart... as MD alluded to, just a month ago this wouldn't have even been close. Sedin is the easy choice here.
    blaze, how can you believe that this should not have been close a month ago. Kovy is 3 years younger as you alluded and has out scored Daniel every single year they have both played in the NHL except for once or twice. He should have (Kovy) never dropped out of the top 10 in any ones books imo.

Kovalchuk Career PPG 1.01 (2nd most goals since lookout)
    Sedin Career PPG .084
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

uhh, if you wanna talk long-term success... kovy has 6 seasons of greater than 1 p/g, sedin has 3. kovy has 7 70-point seasons, sedin has 3

and sedin is the easy choice? really?

GO KOVALCHUK!!! CMON!!!!!!!!!!
    RANGERS SUCK

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sorry guys but I don't get it. I'd still take Daniel over Kovalchuk every time.

I don't understand the 'upside' argument. Daniel has shown that he has a higher upside than Kovalchuk. Has Kovalchuk hit 104 points in a season yet?
    I'm not saying that Daniel is going to blast Kovalchuk right out of the water year in and year out, because Kovalchuk is talented enough and gets a ton more ice time than Daniel does to put points up on the board, but if we're talking upside? Sorry but I'm not buying that Kovalchuk has more upside than D.Sedin.

Whatevz, to each his own.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Bwuhahah Sedin takes it by 3 votes.

Suck it fellas.

Administrator

Bwuhahah Sedin takes it by 3 votes.

Suck it fellas.
    You can’t do time specific close dates as far as I know but all votes get tabulated at midnight Eastern Time so Sedin actually took it by five.

The Great One

Lol- bbb is totally right!!! A couple years ago- and keep in mind Kovy is three years younger as well- it would have been no contest the other way. ``What have you done for me lately`indeed- lol!