Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Best Team of NHL Scouts

I...am your father.

Default The Best Team of NHL Scouts

hoopej2 wrote:
    Repent, I fear you didn\'t get the meaning of my post. I was trying to make Sundin\'s comment ludicrous. To suggest a player wouldn\'t want to list the name of the best player on the other team to earn an extra $2 M is pretty silly. Of course he would want to do that.
    We get you. haha
    Actually, I\'m positive that the CBA won\'t allow for that. GM\'s have tried the \"he babysits my kids so I paid him $1 million that doesn\'t count on the cap\" thing to no avail....

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

well I didn\'t want to be the one to let the cat out of the bag, ...but it looks like it\'s just a matter of time till someone figured it out anyhow, So I may as well come clean and admit what has become increasingly obvious: That Paul Holmgren and I have come up with an even better, and cheaper idea than Dobber\'s Best Scouts Team.

I know everyone\'s starting to notice that the Flyers list of successful draft picks has increased dramatically in the last few years, and you\'ve all no doubt noticed the quick turnaround exhibited in the standings after finishing dead last in the league last year, ...and are wondering; \"hey, what\'s going on in Philadelphia?\" \"How are these guys suddenly able to identify prospects like Mike Richards? Steve Downie? and Jeff Carter?\" :huh:

Your probably also wondering about the dramatic improvment in the quality of the pro scouting as well saying \"Hey isn\'t
    this the same team that just recently traded for Mike Comrie? hmy:

Who thought they\'s be just fine replacing Eric Desjardin, and Kim Johnson with Jeff Baumgartner? :blink:

Didn\'t they think Robert Eshe was a starting goalie????? :blush:
    How the heck did they know about Lupal, Biron, or Brandon Coburn?\" :side:

\"What gives?\"

Well I\'ll tell you, ...Tired of paying million and millions
    of dollars each and every year for a network of whiny, smelly and unreliable scouts (some of whom spoke less than perfect english and others who actually admitted to having recomended the drafting of Joni Pitkanen! :angry: )

Holmgren and I approached Flyers owner Ed Snider with a plan
    to instantly return his organization to elite status and at the same time save him at least 10 million dollars a year.

The plan was simple:

1. Get rid of Clarkie .... He\'s a nice guy and all but someone has to answer for Robert Eshe, and that Kyle Calder trade. :angry: (besides watching him have to be politically correct was just too sad)

2. Fire all the scouts, eliminate their budgets, and allot half of their salaries to the signing of free agents (except Dave Brown, ...keep him \'cause he\'s scarrrrrrry) and replace them with one $29.95 Dobber\'s Ultimate Fantasy Pack/ and website membership.

3. Fire Ken Hitchcock, he\'s a great coach and all, but he just wasnt giving RJ Umberger any power play time, and it was really hurting me in my keeper league (sorry Hitch, glad to see you landed on your feet)

4. Two words: Randy Jones

5. Trade Forsberg to Nashville for Blue chip defense prospect, blue chip young forward, and draft pick which can then be traded for All Star defensemen, emerging power forward, and prime free agent attracting PR splash at the beginning of free agency, wait, express concern for latest Foppa injury, express hope for a full recovery, resign him, then trade him again (repeat as necesary to ensure dynasty status)

6. Sign Randy Jones to a 15 year 150 million contract before it becomes apparent that he, and not Sidney Crosby, will be the new face of the NHL.:laugh:

7. Post fake story on Dobber Website, praising Randy Jones to fool that Bastard Brian Burke who has surely been stealing tips here. :angry:
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Pro

Anonymous wrote:
    Just from some reading I\'ve done I know under Ferguson the leafs were pouring more money into European scouting a couple of years ago, so its not like that idea is new. I guess you get credit for the plan to steal away all the other teams scouts though.
    That\'s a good, telling point. The best scouting staff in the world is not going to help you if you overrule them. Telling example:
    http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...st-season.html

As per Ken Campbell in this article, the Leafs have a \"very capable\" director of European scouting in Thommie Bergman, who had spotted Brunnstrom a year ago, when he was still unknown to other teams and playing in Sweden\'s 2nd division. and immediately thought he\'d be a great signing; he invited the Leaf\'s then pro scout Craig Button (former Calgary GM, no longer with the Leafs, I wonder why) to see the kid, and Button agreed with Bergman. However, they both agreed it would be better for Brunnstrom\'s development to spend a season in the Swedish elite league than to come straight to the North American pros, which is what Brunnstrom himself wanted as well. JFJ, however, insisted on not signing Brunnstrom unless he was willing to come and play for the Marlies, overruling the advise of his scouting staff, and missing out on a Detroit-like find. Point of story - great scouting helps only if management listens to their scouts ... which the teams that draft well, from San Jose to Detroit to Nashville to Philly to the Devils to the Habs, do ...
    Rebulding in two lifetime keepers, squads to follow ...

Dobber Sports Pro

And of course, a team that doesn\'t have the money to pay all those crack elite scouts and needs to find the next best thing on a budget, should just hire Bugg ... :lol:

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is what Dan Snyder did in the NFL with assistant coaches and now some are making over $2 million a year.

This is what teams that have a lot of money are using there extra money on since they can\'t use it on players with the cap.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Pro

Sin Bin wrote:
    This is what Dan Snyder did in the NFL with assistant coaches and now some are making over $2 million a year.

This is what teams that have a lot of money are using there extra money on since they can\'t it on players with the cap.
    Except for those teams using that extra money to build condos :S

Dobber Sports Guru

i\'m late to this, but i just wanted to say that dobber\'s idea is so brilliant that it will probably never happen

if i were the owners, i would be paying my gm and coaches boatloads as well. look at what nba coaches make. with the salary cap, coaches will only become more and more important as years go by.

Dobber Sports Ace

I don\'t know much about scouting, but no love for the San Jose stud goaltender drafting machine?

Kipper, Nabby.... Toskala (ok, not a stud, but has had some flashes of brilliance behind a mostly horrendous Leaf defence).

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hoopej2 wrote:
    What about paying the players to \"scout\" during the games? Pay Sundin $6 M a year to play hockey plus $2 M a year to scout on nights off or while he\'s skating around. After the game he could write a few notes like, \"that Ovechkin kid is good, I wish I could play with him...\"

It\'s an idea I pulled from a buddy of mine who went down to the states on a soccer scholarship. They aren\'t allowed to pay their players for playing so they gave him $30 an hour to watch the soccer field after practice. The field was used exclusively for the team so it was always empty and no one ever checked if he was actually in the office. They still gave him $90 a day, 5 days a week to watch the field.

Might sound silly but I\'m surprised no one has thought of trying something like it to get around the cap.
    As you may know, minor league teams like the WHL pays all the players the same across all teams. The incentive for the kids to play in the WHL is that they get a year of post-secondary schooling paid for each year they play.

Teams in the larger markets like Vancouver Giants, whose owners has a much bigger wallet than teams like Lethbridge or Prince Albert. To entice the players to sign with the big market clubs, the owners often get the players to work in places like the White Spot (whether they show up or not, it doesn\'t really matter - key is that they get paid). That is one of the ways they can get around the \"cap\".
    In 9-team, 22 player keepers league (keep 10)
    12F, 6D, 2G, 2 Util. G/A = 1pt, W = 2pt, SO = 4pt

Team:
    F: Hossa, Spezza, Carter, Kane, H. Sedin, Savard, Tavares
    D: None
    G: Lundqvist, Miller, Price

*Signed thru 09-10

Dobber Sports Pro

Katharsis wrote:
    I don\'t know much about scouting, but no love for the San Jose stud goaltender drafting machine?

Kipper, Nabby.... Toskala (ok, not a stud, but has had some flashes of brilliance behind a mostly horrendous Leaf defence).
    Tosk is nearly as good as Nabby and Kipper(who I consider nearly on par with each other). He\'s very underrated.

But since Strelow is gone, who does San jose have to make those goalies they used to?
    I mean, yeah, their goalie scouting was good, but without Strelow, I\'m certain Nabby, Kipper and Tosk probably wouldn\'t be NHL goalies. Aside from maybe Allaire, Strelow was the best goalie coach in the NHL, in my opinion.

Now, I\'m not sure WHO the Sharks have running that area anymore, but I\'m sure he won\'t be nearly as competent.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin