Page 232 of 234 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 3510

Thread: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I love pink grapefruit, and grapefruit juice is decent, but I have yet to find an alcoholic pink grapefruit anything that tastes even remotely like it. Just can't get into any of them.

Surprising to me that I've never actually posted in this thread yet.
    I did a quick search and Kilkenny comes up as having been mentioned in this thread, but I'm not going through 200+ pages to find it. Anyways, that's my celebratory beer of choice and it's an awesome one that just about any type of beer drinker can actually get into. My little contribution.

You should try Ballast Point's Grapefruit Sculpin. The grapefruit really comes through, but not so much that it ruins the Sculpin. Great beer.

Dobber Sports Master

Well... Its been a while since I posted any beers here. I haven't stopped drinking them, so I guess its time to start talking about them again.

This first one was a coffee IPA. Sorry but I cannot remember many details about it. I took a picture of it as it looked like stew in a glass. hahaha I still liked it. This is what a beer looks like when it hits the bottom of the keg. I'm pretty sure this pint was when the keg kicked.

This beer was free cause it looked like this when they poured it. haha

Dobber Sports Master

This beer is from Garage Project. Fantastic brewery! They are always pushing the boundaries. This one is a 8.7% bock infused with coffee. Real nice. You definitely get coffee, but also hints of chocolate. Awesome art work as well. This beer was $10.99 from my local bottle shop.

Dobber Sports Master

This little beauty is one of my favorite beers of the year. It's from Sawmill Brewery. Its a hibiscus passionfruit gose. Incredible beer. Slightly salty, but quite tart and sour. Very refreshing. Fruity, passionfruit really comes through, but its the tartness that makes this beer. 4.5% $10.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

My brother just bought a machine that turns any beer into a more draft tasting beer... I forget exactly what is is called, but is seems pretty interesting.

Dobber Sports Master

Grisette Brett Reserve by North End Brewery. Its from their Salt & Wood series. Its a farmhouse ale soured with brettanomyces claussenii. A short note on brettanomyces claussenii from White Labs: Brettanomyces Claussenii was Originally isolated from strong English stock beer, in the early 20th century. Low intensity Brett character. More aroma than flavor contribution. Fruity, pineapple like aroma. Brettanomyces claussenii is closely related to Brettanomyces anomalus.

Its a 5.5% beer that smelled fairly strongly of grass/hay and herbs. It was stongly carbed and I nearly overshot the glass when I poured it. It took me about 4 pours to get this much beer in the glass. Very lively carbonation. The taste was slightly grassy, citrusy and a small amount of funk. Not too much funk, I was expecting a bit more. Definitely nice beer and once again the art work is beautiful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    My brother just bought a machine that turns any beer into a more draft tasting beer... I forget exactly what is is called, but is seems pretty interesting.
    What is a "draft tasting beer"?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post

What is a "draft tasting beer"?
    I have no idea... I am the wrong person to ask as I don't drink beer... haha... when he was explaining it he was telling me about how you pour a bottle beer into it and it adds some pressured air or something like that to make it taste like it is served fresh from the pub. haha

Dobber Sports Master

Sounds gimmicky to me. Each different beer style is going to have a different carbonation level.

Dobber Sports Master

Well boys, I am now drinking Red Velvet from Ballast Point. Its a Golden Stout with beets and chocolate and it is bottled with nitro. The look of it in the glass after pouring is sexy as hell. Deep red and very clear. The head is white, was thinking it might be pink, but glad it wasn't. The first smell and you definitely get the chocolate coming through. Maybe some vanilla as well. It smells sweet. Then you drink it and it is silky smooth. Its got a bitterness to it. You get the chocolate and vanilla and you get the earthly backbone from the beets. Its this earthiness from the beets that brings it together for me. It is a lovely combo. Its only 5.5%, but I'm not sure its a beer you would have more than one in a sitting. Definitely worth buying to try it though.

This has shown up on draft at bar/lounge here in town... very different, but quite enjoyable.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Wizard

Boys... over the last 6 months I've been experimenting with sour beer. I can say that I now enjoy the style quite a lot. NZ has been producing some excellent sour beers recently and I must say that I am pretty happy with that. Sour beer is not for everyone, but I am a big fan now.

Go into it with the following mindset: I am not drinking beer. I am drinking something new.

This will give you a better chance to like it. If you are expecting your standard beer, you will not be happy. If you are expecting to try something new, you might like it.

For me, it is another club in my beer golf bag. There is definitely a time and a place for sour beer - hot summer day. Try it with an open mind.

This weekend, I'll post some reviews of the sour beers I've had recently. Keep in mind, that I have discovered there is a thing known as sour beer "hangover". This hangover is mostly identified by the smell in the bathroom the next day. :/
    I cant remember, do you guys get Lagunitas in NZ? If so have you tried their Dark Swan sour? Pretty good pint if not revolutionary. Still in my book the gold standard of sour ales is Boulevard's Love Child. That tasty sourness coupled with the earthy funk factor from the Brett yeast they use is stellar. Pricy, better part of 18-20 USD just an hour down the road from Blvd World HQ, but a great example of the sour style.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    This has shown up on draft at bar/lounge here in town... very different, but quite enjoyable.
    I'd love to try it on draft. Like so many nitro beers I find it a bit too thin bodied for my tastes. Delicious but just a little too thin and watery. Could also stem from my love of stouts which I admit tends to influence my perception of the preferred level of body in a beer.

Dobber Sports Master

We do get Lagunitas here. The beer importers we have are very good. Everything is refrigerated during the entire shipping process. Van/Truck, refrigerated. Ship, refrigerated. Storage in the dock/customs... refrigerated. Van/truck in NZ... refrigerated. Its a beautiful thing. It gets here in as good condition as possible considering its traveled just about as far as it can go without starting back home again.

I'll take a look for that sour you mentioned. Thanks!

Dobber Sports Master

What you sipping on tonight lads?

Dobber Sports Stud

What you sipping on tonight lads?
    I have a secret stash of Pine Drops that I don't share with anyone. Deschutes is one of my favorites, and this limited edition is outstanding.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Wizard

Cracked open a new one, Lagunitas Aunt Sally. This one is right in your wheelhouse AW, it's for all intents and purposes a sour IPA. A good sour kick with a pleasant subtle grassy hop up front that mixes the sour with grapefruit hop on the finish. Clocks in at 5.7 ABV so it's an interesting session beer and would be great to cool off with on a hot day.

Like you I've caught the sour bug. Got a 750 of Blvd's Changeling Dark Sour Ale chilling in the beer fridge. Gonna try that one this week while I enjoy a much needed break from work.