Page 231 of 234 FirstFirst ... 131 181 221 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 3510

Thread: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Where are the good beer drinkers?

I had a couple of beauties last night. One is a newer acquaintance and one is an old friend.

Epic - Thunder: From the makers of Hop Zombie. Nice, well balanced IPA. Enjoyable. Looks fantastic.

Ballast Point - Sculpin: If you haven't tried this beer, do it today.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I've grown tired of IPA's. I like Brawler by Yards from Philly. I think it's on a 4%, but it's brewed to perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstoned View Post
    I've grown tired of IPA's. I like Brawler by Yards from Philly. I think it's on a 4%, but it's brewed to perfection.
    Tired of IPAs?? How does that happen? I'll have to look for Brawler, I enjoy a dark ale from time to time. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I had a couple of beauties last night. One is a newer acquaintance and one is an old friend.

Epic - Thunder: From the makers of Hop Zombie. Nice, well balanced IPA. Enjoyable. Looks fantastic.

Ballast Point - Sculpin: If you haven't tried this beer, do it today.

LOVE me some Sculpin. That is the shit right there. Love the Grapefruit Sculpin in the hot dog days of Summer.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Had a couple new beers yesterday. Xmas time down here is different than back home. Its literally backwards. The sun ins coming out and all the ladies are wearing their short shorts, etc... Nice times.

In that spirit, I had a gose. This is Fork and Brewer's Cherry 2000. They describe it like this: Cherry 2000 is a 5% Gose brewed with salt and cinnamon quills and fermented with sour cherry juice that Kelly sourced from Germany. Weighing in at 5%, it is superbly refreshing. A little fruit is apparent on the nose and as the Gose warms slightly, the subtle cinnamon comes through.

I thought it was great! Tart, which is how I like it. Refreshing on a summers day.

Later on that evening, I decided to have something heavier. This is Pony Ride from Garage Project. Frequent followers of this thread will remember that name as they brew a lot of fantastic beer. Prolly my favorite brewery. They are constantly putting out new beer and I try just about all of them. This one has been out for a bit over a month and I have steered clear in that time. It didn't sound like my cup of tea. Here is how they describe the beer: Get up on that saddle and come for a canter with Garage Project and ALC. Pony Ride - Cola beer brewed with citrus, spices, kola nuts and vanilla, and aged in bourbon casks. Is this dark horse a high brow barrel-aged take on the classic premix, or a dark detour to the shady world of the RTD? Pony up and decide for yourself. Giddy up horsey.

I didn't read that description until this morning. Last night my thoughts were that is was like a can of bourbon and cola (RTD) but with no sugar and the booze had no flavor. It was a struggle to get through. I considered pouring it down the sink after the first sip. I was also a 11.2% beer and not cheap so I decided to push through. Not enjoyable at all. The can is cool though....

Dobber Sports Giant

I had Mike's Hard Root Beer over the weekend for the first time. A buddy of mine brought a 6-pack over and I got to have a few of them during the evening. I know some of you will say that it's a chick drink or it's not even beer (although it is malt based), but honestly, I was so surprised to see that it actually tasted like root beer. I'm not a big fan of their lemonade, but this, I enjoyed!

Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    I had Mike's Hard Root Beer over the weekend for the first time. A buddy of mine brought a 6-pack over and I got to have a few of them during the evening. I know some of you will say that it's a chick drink or it's not even beer (although it is malt based), but honestly, I was so surprised to see that it actually tasted like root beer. I'm not a big fan of their lemonade, but this, I enjoyed!

This feels like a good time to remind you that, as a mod, I can ban you for this sort of heresy.

First, last, and only warning.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Jedi

MILL STREET BREWERY (Toronto) has nailed mix packs. First, I don't have 25% wastage with crappy Honey Brown (ugh! -- that's another thread altogether!)

But most importantly, mix packs are supposed to be sampler's of what they offer, I picked up their Winter Sampler 6-pack last night. 6 Different beer. No repeats!

I also had their Summer Sampler last year, 12-pack - 6 different beer - 2 of each.

This folks is how it should be done. Not to mention, they make a mean, kick ass brew!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Master

Boys... over the last 6 months I've been experimenting with sour beer. I can say that I now enjoy the style quite a lot. NZ has been producing some excellent sour beers recently and I must say that I am pretty happy with that. Sour beer is not for everyone, but I am a big fan now.

Go into it with the following mindset: I am not drinking beer. I am drinking something new.

This will give you a better chance to like it. If you are expecting your standard beer, you will not be happy. If you are expecting to try something new, you might like it.

For me, it is another club in my beer golf bag. There is definitely a time and a place for sour beer - hot summer day. Try it with an open mind.

This weekend, I'll post some reviews of the sour beers I've had recently. Keep in mind, that I have discovered there is a thing known as sour beer "hangover". This hangover is mostly identified by the smell in the bathroom the next day. :/

- - - Updated - - -

Boys... over the last 6 months I've been experimenting with sour beer. I can say that I now enjoy the style quite a lot. NZ has been producing some excellent sour beers recently and I must say that I am pretty happy with that. Sour beer is not for everyone, but I am a big fan now.

Go into it with the following mindset: I am not drinking beer. I am drinking something new.

This will give you a better chance to like it. If you are expecting your standard beer, you will not be happy. If you are expecting to try something new, you might like it.

For me, it is another club in my beer golf bag. There is definitely a time and a place for sour beer - hot summer day. Try it with an open mind.

This weekend, I'll post some reviews of the sour beers I've had recently. Keep in mind, that I have discovered there is a thing known as sour beer "hangover". This hangover is mostly identified by the smell in the bathroom the next day. :/

Dobber Sports Master

Well boys, I am now drinking Red Velvet from Ballast Point. Its a Golden Stout with beets and chocolate and it is bottled with nitro. The look of it in the glass after pouring is sexy as hell. Deep red and very clear. The head is white, was thinking it might be pink, but glad it wasn't. The first smell and you definitely get the chocolate coming through. Maybe some vanilla as well. It smells sweet. Then you drink it and it is silky smooth. Its got a bitterness to it. You get the chocolate and vanilla and you get the earthly backbone from the beets. Its this earthiness from the beets that brings it together for me. It is a lovely combo. Its only 5.5%, but I'm not sure its a beer you would have more than one in a sitting. Definitely worth buying to try it though.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Well boys, I am now drinking Red Velvet from Ballast Point. Its a Golden Stout with beets and chocolate and it is bottled with nitro. The look of it in the glass after pouring is sexy as hell. Deep red and very clear. The head is white, was thinking it might be pink, but glad it wasn't. The first smell and you definitely get the chocolate coming through. Maybe some vanilla as well. It smells sweet. Then you drink it and it is silky smooth. Its got a bitterness to it. You get the chocolate and vanilla and you get the earthly backbone from the beets. Its this earthiness from the beets that brings it together for me. It is a lovely combo. Its only 5.5%, but I'm not sure its a beer you would have more than one in a sitting. Definitely worth buying to try it though.

Ballast Point is finally coming to my state and it's backwards liquor laws, I will be giving this a try. They make one of my favorite beers-- Victory at Sea

AW, thanks for the input. I saw the Red Velvet shelved last week while out grocery shopping with the Lady. I was very intrigued, and your comments sorta reinforced my thinking that it's probably a beer you want one maybe two of in the right situation. Or not a go-to everyday beer. I'll grab a sixer and give it a go.

As far as the sour. I've tried sour beer three times now and it's not working for me. That said, I had to ease into the hoppier IPAs so I am holding out hope. I starting to believe that sour beers will ultimately wind up like my love affair with for stinky cheese. It'll happen. But it's going to take some time.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Sours aren't for everyone mate. It does take a few tries before you start understanding what they are trying to do. There are different kinds of sour beer. There is the kettle sour, which is happening a lot more nowadays. Its much faster to sour and as a result, cheaper to produce. It doesn't get the depth of flavor with this method though. Traditional sours take months to sour up and then years to mature. Both styles have merit.

Keep trying it. I think you'll appreciate the style.

Dobber Sports Master

My beer store had a large shipment of Ballast Point come in a few weeks ago. Some of them are newly released beers. I've been drinking them all. One of the best ones has been Manta Ray Double IPA. It so good that is rhymes! Absolutely beautiful double IPA. Its 8.5% but you would never know by drinking it. The beer is so well balances it is a pure treasure to drink. Go out and get some now! I believe this to be brewing of the highest order.

Dobber Sports Sage

I am not a big beer aficionado like many of you but I drink a lot of beer. If you like pink grapefruit, you will LOVE Leinenkugel's Grapefruit Shandy.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I am not a big beer aficionado like many of you but I drink a lot of beer. If you like pink grapefruit, you will LOVE Leinenkugel's Grapefruit Shandy.
    I love pink grapefruit, and grapefruit juice is decent, but I have yet to find an alcoholic pink grapefruit anything that tastes even remotely like it. Just can't get into any of them.

Surprising to me that I've never actually posted in this thread yet.
    I did a quick search and Kilkenny comes up as having been mentioned in this thread, but I'm not going through 200+ pages to find it. Anyways, that's my celebratory beer of choice and it's an awesome one that just about any type of beer drinker can actually get into. My little contribution.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)