Page 229 of 234 FirstFirst ... 129 179 219 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 3510

Thread: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Where are the good beer drinkers?

Alright guys, give me just a couple beers to drink over this holiday season.

I am big beer drinker but I stick to a couple mainstays and don't really experiment with microbrews.

Been a long time fan of red beers such as Killians and Sam Adams Octoberfest. Can you give me something to try in this category? Thanks.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post

I am big beer drinker but I stick to a couple mainstays and don't really experiment with microbrews.

Been a long time fan of red beers such as Killians and Sam Adams Octoberfest. Can you give me something to try in this category? Thanks.
    I just had Ommegang's Lovely, Dark, and Deep Winter Ale. Beer Advocate refers to it as a oatmeal stout but I'm not buying it. To me, it's the perfect blend of Dogfish Head's espresso stout and a Belgian dark ale. It is indeed deep and dark but it's thinner than any stout of ever had. Solid beer.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

Hey man, this thread is chocka full of ideas for beers. Its a great resource. Spend some time to read some of the thread. Its crazy how much people's beer tastes have changed over time in this thread.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    Hey man, this thread is chocka full of ideas for beers. Its a great resource. Spend some time to read some of the thread. Its crazy how much people's beer tastes have changed over time in this thread.
    See that's the problem, I don't want to read the thread because it is too much information. No doubt that it is top notch info. I go to my local liquor store and am overwhelmed with all the choices so I end up getting the same beer I know I like. I like getting advice where you say what you like and you are told products that you should like based on your preferences.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

See that's the problem, I don't want to read the thread because it is too much information. No doubt that it is top notch info. I go to my local liquor store and am overwhelmed with all the choices so I end up getting the same beer I know I like. I like getting advice where you say what you like and you are told products that you should like based on your preferences.
    I don't have much if any experience with red ales, but I can give some general recommendations. Before that, some questions. What are some things you love in a beer? What are some things you hate? For instance do you prefer lighter bodied beers? Do you prefer lower abv's where we can down more in one session? How do you feel about heavier beers both in body and alcohol content?

Those aren't the only things to consider but the more info I have I can give you some better ideas. Let me know and when I get a chance later tonight I can throw out some ideas.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Deschutes Obsidian Stout tonight... dark and delectable, like my soul!

Dobber Sports Wizard

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I don't think you can find a better beer than Ballast Point's Victory At Sea. Speaking for myself, I think this may just be beer perfection, regardless of style. I have never tasted a beer that was as well balanced, deep, complex, and yet thoroughly approachable as this one is. It's a bomber, 10% ABV on the nose(very high for a porter), and yet not the slightest hint of the alcohol mars the taste. Perfect levels of rich coffee and vanilla, with just the right hint of sweet malt backbone. I've come on here and raved about a lot of beers, but this one is just beyond words. If you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a bottle, seriously, you need to....it's absolutely epic!!!
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Master

100% agree with you on that one NWO. It is the product of a highly skilled brew master.

Dobber Sports Stud

NoWayOut, I agree this is a near perfect brew, but with the caveat that it's a little too roasty for me to enjoy in the heat of summer (or even spring and early fall). That said, I'm about 24 hours away from 1.5-3 foot snowfall (which is tantamount to complete societal shutdown around here), so I may have to pick up some V@S on my way home...
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again...I don't think you can find a better beer than Ballast Point's Victory At Sea. Speaking for myself, I think this may just be beer perfection, regardless of style. I have never tasted a beer that was as well balanced, deep, complex, and yet thoroughly approachable as this one is. It's a bomber, 10% ABV on the nose(very high for a porter), and yet not the slightest hint of the alcohol mars the taste. Perfect levels of rich coffee and vanilla, with just the right hint of sweet malt backbone. I've come on here and raved about a lot of beers, but this one is just beyond words. If you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying a bottle, seriously, you need to....it's absolutely epic!!!
    Guess what Bommer bought???? Finally had some VAS in stock! I'm going back tomorrow for more. It is an absolute pleasure to finally try this beast. LOVE the roasted coffee notes up front, and the malt's not too heavy which I prefer.

I also grabbed Stone Coffee milk stout and Lagunitas cappuccino Stout.

It's a stout/porter kinda day.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Guess what Bommer bought???? Finally had some VAS in stock! I'm going back tomorrow for more. It is an absolute pleasure to finally try this beast. LOVE the roasted coffee notes up front, and the malt's not too heavy which I prefer.

I also grabbed Stone Coffee milk stout and Lagunitas cappuccino Stout.

It's a stout/porter kinda day.
    Dude!!! So excited for you! It's like finding the holy grail. My favorite libation by miles, and that's coming from someone who's had Lagavulin 16, Highland Park 18, among other great Scotches. Yes, apples and oranges, beer vs scotch, but given the choice of just one for the rest of my life I'm taking V@S.

On to the topic of beer, got my hands on several new ones. First up one that I never thought I'd ever see in these environs, Driftwood Fat Tug. I always thought this would be one I'd never get a chance to try unless I found myself up in Vancouver, which no offense to Vancouver, seems like an awesome place, ain't ever going to happen. I'm so glad their Fat Tug found it's way down here to the great unwashed hinterlands. Easily in my top-5 IPA's. Still like Deschutes' Inversion better, but still FT is well worth the price of admission and then some.

My local faves Tallgrass, have some new ones and I got my hands on two, Big Ricc and The Grizz. Big Ricc is fairly decent Russian Imperial Stout with coffee and chocolate notes hence the moniker RICC. Nothing that will blow you away, but a good one all the same. The Grizz is Tallgrass' foray into the world of Imperial IPA's. If you love, or even like, their Ethos IPA and 16 Bit Pale Ale, I think you'll thoroughly enjoy this one. A nice little walk in the big grapefruit IPA park.

I still have a few new beers I haven't gotten around to yet, namely Stone's Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Avery's Vanilla Bean Stout, and Abita's Tripel Haze. I had planned to try them this weekend but I've been derailed by several jars of authentic, real deal moonshine. That's an effing treat every whisky lover should have at least once before they die, but that's also a topic for another thread....
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Monster

It's not beer but anyone try Grey Goose? Was thinking of buying a mickey, costs like 20 bucks or so. Worth it? I think I'm going to drink it during the day on Monday...yeah I don't have a drinking problem at all

Dobber Sports Master

Well its been hops season down here in New Zealand.... so most hop heads know what that means! Fresh hop beers!!!! It has slowed down over the last week, but I have tried some amazing beers. Sadly (and most of the beer I talk about you never see), the majority of the beer is local. The belle of the ball this year was the Fresh Hop Vandal by Panhead Brewing.

Vandal by normal standards is incredibly hoppy. It is one of my all time favorite beers. I did not think it could get better, but I have been corrected. The fresh hop version of the Vandal is like watching a band live that you have only heard before on record.... and it is your favorite record! hahaha Fantastic beer, made better by fresh ingredients. My only regret is that 99.9% of you poor bastards will never taste the rhapsody that is the fresh hopped Vandal by Panhead Brewing.

Here's a gif of me trying it for the first time.

Dobber Sports Master

Here is another beer 99.9% of you wont have the opportunity to try as it is produced by a local brewery here in Northern Nova Scotia. It is the Tatamagouche's Brewery's Lagered Ale. A buddy of mine introduced it to me a couple of weeks ago, and it went down easily and memorably. I've been drinking whiskey lately, but am on the lookout for the "Tatmagoodness" again now that the summer is fast approaching. Check out the Lagered Ale on the brewery's website below:

http://tatabrew.com

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

Nobody has had a beer in months?

Ah well, a local beer merchant has bombers of Victory at Sea... Blacker and more complex than my soul.

I still prefer the Rochefort 10 from same said merchant.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril