Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Wild

Dobber Sports Pro

Rotoworld:

Mikael Granlund - W - Wild
    Mikael Granlund has been very impressive thus far in Houston Aeros scrimmages.
    Granlund is a highly regarded prospect who was expected to crack the Wild's lineup this season, that is until the lockout. He looked great centering two other highly regarded prospects, Jason Zucker and Charlie Coyle. Grab Granlund in all keeper leagues as his offensive skills are outstanding.
    Source: Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune Oct 1 - 8:29 AM

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

Rotoworld:

Jason Zucker - C - Wild
    Jason Zucker has been an early bright spot at Houston Aeros scrimmages.
    Zucker played six games for the Minnesota Wild last season after leaving the University of Denver and garnered a couple of assists. He scored the only two goals during scrimmage on Saturday and generally impressed. "I feel good out there," Zucker said. "I prepared a lot over the summer. Obviously, I prepared to play for the Minnesota Wild, but so did everyone else in that dressing room." Zucker is a speedy forward who can score. He is worth a late round flier in deeper keeper pools but could still be a couple of years away from being a top six forward in the NHL.
    Source: The Pioneer Press Oct 1 - 9:27 AM

Great to see the young studs have some early chemistry! (Granlund, Coyle, Zucker)

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

NY streets, sewers & on occasion in a farm

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Zucker's been pretty stellar in his first season in the AHL going more than PPG so far and only trailing Granlund in that department. He's potted 9 goals and 15 pts in 14 games placing him second in team scoring. He's also shot a whopping 45 shots on goal! For the most part he's done this without the help of Granlund who's been sidelined for about half the time. Just some updates~
    THE GOONGALA SQUAD

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Future Top Six Thoughts

Started thinking about the Wild lineup again for some reason (probably has to do with me not wanting to write my thesis).

Over the next couple of seasons, 12-13 and 13-14, there will probably be a decent amount of experimentation going on and not all of their prospects will be quite ready. So I wanted to look further ahead to the 14-15 season and see what others think could be the future top six of the Wild.

Questions that I have been thinking about are:

Which players on the current roster will still be here?

Which prospects will be ready?

Which players will fit the role of center better?

Which will most likely have the best chemistry together?

Some background info. on applicable player contract statuses:

Koivu and Parise are signed long-term.

Cullen and PMB are UFAs after the 12-13 season.

Seto and Heately are UFAs after the 13-14 season.

Prospects are obviously RFA controlled.

I would definitely begin with saying Cullen will not be re-signed, and even if he was he wouldn't be playing in a top six role. PMB re-signing is really an uncertainty but I would lean to him becoming a FA. I could see Heatley and Seto both returning and I can see them both leaving, for some reason I feel Seto would be more inclined to test FA, but it really depends on how things play out over the next couple of seasons.

Granlund will definitely be in the top six somewhere. I would like to think after a couple seasons in the AHL that Coyle would be ready (probably after one season even in the AHL) and that Zucker could be possibly ready. Phillips would be a huge question mark and I am not sure if there is even room for him.

The major issues I see in this process are:

1. Will both Seto and Heatley re-sign, leave via FA (or trade I guess), or one stays and one goes?

2. Will Zucker develop into NHL top-six material?

I am going to go with Heatley re-signs and Seto leaves via FA and Zucker makes it into the top six. Now where do they lineup? Could be a few different options. Coyle or Granlund could end up playing center or wing is one factor. Another of course is chemistry.

So you have:

Parise - Koivu - Heatley
    Zucker - Granlund - Coyle

OR

Parise - Koivu - Granlund
    Zucker - Coyle - Heatley

OR

Parise - Koivu - Zucker
    Heatley - Granlund - Coyle

I lean towards Granlund sticking it out at center and Coyle continuing to be groomed as a RW.

I also like the idea of having Zucker on the top line because I think his speed would match well with Parise and they would be better off the rush compared to having Heatley there. I also think the slower second line would compliment each others skill sets nicely as well.

Interested in hearing others thoughts on what could be the Wild's future top six in 14-15.

Edit: If Heatley leaves or Zucker isn't ready I would think that a FA signing would be in the plans.
    Last edited by grindin griers; December 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Just a few thoughts...

I don't think Dany Heatley is a viable long-term option as a top-line player. He's evolving into a guy who is dangerous on the power play, less so at even strength. He would definitely benefit from being employed against lesser competition. I'd be surprised if Minnesota tries to retain him for the long term. I could see a Stanley Cup contender adding him (via trade) to help bolster their power play. I'd like to see Granlund stick at center. That seems like the best fit for him, in my opinion. He handles the puck so well.
    Last edited by MikeTSchmidt; December 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Welp the Wild know their first game of the season (along with the Avalanche).

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
    Sources: #mnwild opens at home Jan. 19 against the Colorado #Avalanche | http://StarTribune.com http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/186085411.html

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Minny Prospects

Any optics on Dumba and Coyle?

Will either play more than 5 games?
    Will either have any impact this year? next year?
    __________________________________________________ _____
    18 team H2H Points only keeper league. 6FW 4D 1G

Kopitar, Kane, Backstrom, Giroux, Berglund, Elias, Steen, J Jokinen
    Byfuglien, OEL, Yandle,
    Rinne

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Reprimand View Post
    Any optics on Dumba and Coyle?

Will either play more than 5 games?
    Will either have any impact this year? next year?
    Dumba isn't ready as far as I can tell, Coyle I would have a pessimistic view on him at this time as well.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Anyone know what the lines are going to look like? I would like to know who Granlund will play with to start the season off.
    League - YOUNG STARS DYNASTY LEAGUE
    12 teams

MY TEAM

Kovalchuk/Tavares/Zetterberg
    Michalek/ Thornton /Nash
    E.Cole/ Spezza/ Purcell

Suter/Jack Johnsson
    Del Zotto/ Hedmen

Miller / Hiller

Benched Players

Tanguay/Desharnis/Hemsky
    McDonald/Nyquist /Selanne

Gardiner/ Orlov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardWingsFan View Post
    Anyone know what the lines are going to look like? I would like to know who Granlund will play with to start the season off.
    Sunday they looked like this:

Parise – Koivu – Heatley

Cullen – Granlund – Setoguchi

Bouchard – Brodziak – Clutterbuck

Mitchell – Konopka – Powe

Kassian – Powell – Palmieri – Veilleux

D-pairs:

Suter – Spurgeon

Gilbert – Stoner

Falk – Prosser

Kampfer – Dumba

Courtesy of an article from their website on NHL.com

Dobber Sports Guru

via twitter:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
    Yeo on Matt Dumba staying for at least now: "He's earned it." #mnwild

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    via twitter:
    Shit mazel colour me pink and tickle my....

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Shit mazel colour me pink and tickle my....
    hahaha ... ya I was surprised as well. Cut from the world junior team but makes the Wild? (so far)

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    hahaha ... ya I was surprised as well. Cut from the world junior team but makes the Wild? (so far)
    Given the biases that were involved in some of the WJC selections, I am not surprised he was cut. Although, he also did not have the best WJC camp. Perhaps the cut was a bit of a wake-up call and motivator. I'm sure there are similar situations that have happened in the past, for some reason Tyler Seguin (someone correct me on that) comes to mind. Whatever the case, I don't expect them to keep him for the season and burn a year of his ELC unless he becomes Scott Stevens reincarnate.

Dobber Sports Pro

Rotoworld:

Mathew Dumba - D - Wild
    Matthew Dumba will be a healthy scratch again Tuesday against the Nashville Predators.
    Dumba, 18, is being kept around the team for the "experience," according to coach Mike Yeo. He'll likely be returned to juniors after his fifth game with the club.
    Source: Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune Jan 22 - 2:33 PM

Niklas Backstrom - G - Wild
    Niklas Backstrom will get his second start of the season Tuesday night against the Nashville Predators.
    Backstrom stopped 25 of 27 shots in a season-opening win Saturday night. He'll get the majority of the starts in net for Minnesota this season, although backup Josh Harding may play more than usual because of the compact schedule.
    Source: Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune

Should be a great game tonight. Looking forward to the continued resurgence of Dany Heatley.