Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Staal out 4-6 weeks with knee injury, Neal out weeks with broken foot.
    Sounds like Bylsma's working on another Jack Adams award?

Geez this team is snakebitten, year after year.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Master

This team cannot catch a break. If Bylsma manages to keep them in the hunt throughout this time period, there shouldn't even be a vote for the Jack Adams.

Funny thing is he'll likely do it.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Pro

with Neal and Staal out, big blow,

who picks up the ice time?
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Past Two Games: NYR, NJ

I pretty much have been slacking a bit lately with the coverage; I've been incredibly busy with other things, trying to get everything in order. Thus, I have decided to lump the coverage of the past two games into one, since in essence they were largely similar type games for the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Let's start out by discussing the 1st period of these games. The Penguins got off to a great start in both games, bringing early pressure and really getting to their game. In both tilts, the Penguins were able to score the first goal of the game, Malkin getting the tally in the most recent effort against the Devils. Malkin has been deadly this year, but without his partner in crime James Neal - out for a "significant" amount of time - it remains to be seen how effective his line will be going forward. After 20 minutes in each game, the Penguins were in good shape on the scoreboard and things were looking up; however, in both games the Penguins game largely fell apart in the second frame.

In the 2nd period on Saturday, the Penguins gave up two goals to the Devils - Henrique Shorthanded and a saucy Kovalchuk slapper. Similarly in Friday's game against the Rangers, a Shorthanded tally from Dubinsky in the second period was the difference in the hockey game. So what's going on here with the inconsistency between periods - not to mention the clear-cut turnovers and obvious gaffes with the man advantage? I could certainly sit here and say that things will get better, but I'm not so sure that's the truth. Serious injuries in the lineup [Crosby, Staal, Neal etc.] continue to deprive this Penguins team of their elite talent, and there is no question that the PP will continue to suffer. In the past two games - both Penguin losses - the ineffective Powerplay coupled with bad turnovers cost the Penguins very winnable games. This doesn't touch on how well both goaltenders played [special nod to Lundqvist on this one] against the Penguins, but that is little redemption for a Penguins team on a 4-game slide.

The third period against the Rangers wasn't much better than the second, as the Penguins were unable to convert on any scoring chances while surrendering an early goal to Derek Stepan, which took a lot of the life out of Consol Energy Center. Lundqvist made some brilliant saves throughout the course of the game, as well. In last night's effort, the Penguins surrendered a third period PPG to Dainius Zubrus, and were also unable to convert on the "surprisingly" brilliant Martin Brodeur - who has had some pretty apparent struggles the past couple seasons. In both games [NRY and NJ] the Penguins were able to handily outshoot their opponents; here is a breakdown of the SOG totals from each game.

PIT v. NYR

SOG: 38-21 PIT

PIT v. NJD

SOG: 42-27 PIT

Sometimes, as was the case with these past couple tilts, a hot goaltender is enough to squash the best laid plans [and a 42 shot effort]. The Penguins lost both games by a score of 3-1, although not all is bad. The Penguins were able to carry play for long stretches of both of these games, and I would probably say that overall they were the better team in both tilts. Although unable to finish recently, I have plenty of confidence in the Penguins going forward.

Now let's shift gears a little bit, and discuss some of the injury problems some people have already begun to lament over in this thread...

In the past couple tilts, the Penguins have sustained two more MAJOR injuries to their roster in James Neal and Jordan Staal, two of their leading goal-scorers and point producers gaining ever more importance with Sidney Crosby in the lineup, and the blue-line almost a carousel in and out of the hospital. I kid, but seriously with all the injuries with the Penguins in the past couple seasons, it's beginning to get a little ridiculous.

Clearly this will have a major effect on the offensive production, and by extension the Penguins already struggling Powerplay. James Neal was a force to be reckoned with for the Penguins PP this season, scoring the bulk of his goals with the man advantage and giving the Penguins their first bonafide scoring threat on the Powerplay since Malkin in his prime and the seasons of yore with Petr Sykora [lol]. Neal will be a massive loss offensively, but also defensively as he's proven his worth as an incredibly good skater, solid backchecking and a very physical player for the Penguins. Defensively, the major loss is Jordan Staal.

Out with an apparent knee injury after a cheapshot from Mike Rupp [pains me to write that sentence, but it's true Rupper...], this Penguins team will suffer a lot without Staal. Showing more offensive flare than perhaps ever before, Staal's offense will certainly be missed [15g already] but his prowess on the defensive, shut-down type role is where he will leave the most to be desired. Staal is normally featured in a secondary scoring, checking-line type role against the opposition's best players and is incredibly effective in that role; however, without Staal in that role Bylsma will have to look for other options.

Disco Dan has worked some magic before, and put this group in a position to make the playoffs before; I don't suspect this season will be any different. With Malkin playing at an elite level, the depth of the Penguins defense at the forefront [I'm looking at you Niskanen/Lovejoy], and secondary scoring punch from guys like Kunitz, Dupuis, and Kennedy I think this Penguins team will be alright until guys like Staal and Neal [and hopefully Crosby] can return to the lineup. Team toughness will definitely be tested. Time to go out there and be great.

Article on the injury situation:

Staal out 4-6 weeks, Neal out 'weeks'
    http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610634

Dobber offered some thoughts on the Penguins injury situation in his Daily ramblings earlier today:

Dobber:

My THN column today focuses on the Penguins and what’s ahead over the next few weeks, but two names that jump out at me are Tyler Kennedy (of course) and Jason Williams (not as obvious as Kennedy). Both will do well in the month ahead. I’m also seeing that Dustin Jeffrey is back soon, perhaps next game. I certainly like his role a lot more now.
    I have to agree with the prognosis for Kennedy having a solid month in his future. He will definitely get quality opportunities with all the prime players out of the lineup for the Pens right now, so he should be able to produce. I must say I didn't really think about Jeffrey, but he should be fully healthy and able to make an impact in the lineup and he will also surely get his chances to score, especially with Staal being on the shelf for at least a month.
    Last edited by mounD; January 9, 2012 at 3:07 AM.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    with Neal and Staal out, big blow,

who picks up the ice time?
    In terms of the Neal injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy start out playing with Malkin and Kunitz; however, if he can't get things going I would expect to see a healthy dose of Dupuis in that spot. Kennedy has the most to offer to that line in my opinion, but you can't argue with how well Dupuis has been producing this season - not to mention Kennedy's struggles and lack of production compared with last season's 20+ goal effort.

As for who will get more ice-time in Staal's Center slot, I would probably say either Vitale [who would be my pick] or maybe Richard Park. Vitale has been great when used prominently in a shutdown role this season [as we saw earlier this season against DET among others] and I think he offers the best overall game while still being able to match up against the opposition's best talent. Park has been playing pretty well recently, and I could see him being used in a similar fashion to how we've seen Staal deployed in a defensive role. I just think Vitale gives Bylsma more options on both sides of the puck in that role. There's always guys like Dupuis [who can play the Center position] and Craig Adams who could easily step into Staal's shut-down role.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Pro

thanks for the input!

I agree that Vitale and Park will start to see a big increase in ice time.

Man they are having some bad luck!
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    thanks for the input!

I agree that Vitale and Park will start to see a big increase in ice time.

Man they are having some bad luck!
    Don't forget about Stevey Sullivan. He will definitely get to see a solid chunk of ice-time with Malkin for the first time since Kunitz usurped his spot on the top line.

Dobber Sports Guru

Now's the time for Eric Tangradi to show what he has to offer for this organisation. There's the opportunity for him now, it's up to him to grap it. Or else he'll be out of the organisation by trade deadline. That's the way I see it. He'll be waiver eligible next year so he'll need to show he belongs to NHL this year or else he's a prime candidate to be used as a trade bait at the trade deadline.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    In terms of the Neal injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kennedy start out playing with Malkin and Kunitz; however, if he can't get things going I would expect to see a healthy dose of Dupuis in that spot. Kennedy has the most to offer to that line in my opinion, but you can't argue with how well Dupuis has been producing this season - not to mention Kennedy's struggles and lack of production compared with last season's 20+ goal effort.
    I don't think we'll be seeing Dupuis on the 1st line any time soon. He'll be relied on the 2nd line C spot with Crosby and Staal out. While the very thought of that makes me want to cry, there's simply no other options for the Pens. Duper is the better option there than Vitale or Park. So that means TK should get a pretty long leash on replacing Neal on the 1st line.

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Out with an apparent knee injury after a cheapshot from Mike Rupp [pains me to write that sentence, but it's true Rupper...], this Penguins team will suffer a lot without Staal.
    It was an accidental collision, not a cheapshot. Atleast I didn't see anything dirty in that play. Rupp is still the man.
    Last edited by Carcillo; January 9, 2012 at 7:22 AM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hey Pens fans, need some opinions here. Looking for a short-term play this week w/ Byfuglien on the IR and Pittsburgh has an incredible schedule with four games and three of them on slow days in the NHL. Trying to hedge against my opponent who has Malkin.

Would you guys roll with Tyler Kennedy or Steve Sullivan? I can get Kennedy into my lineup for all four games but Sully would have to sit out tomorrow's against Ottawa because of my position issues. Is there someone else you think would take over the PP and top line minutes?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Hey Pens fans, need some opinions here. Looking for a short-term play this week w/ Byfuglien on the IR and Pittsburgh has an incredible schedule with four games and three of them on slow days in the NHL. Trying to hedge against my opponent who has Malkin.

Would you guys roll with Tyler Kennedy or Steve Sullivan? I can get Kennedy into my lineup for all four games but Sully would have to sit out tomorrow's against Ottawa because of my position issues. Is there someone else you think would take over the PP and top line minutes?
    I would probably go with Tyler Kennedy on this one. I think he offers more EV strength than does Sullivan, and I see him taking Neal's spot on the top-line in for the bulk of the next month. Sullivan will get his chances, especially on the PP [where he's most valuable to this team], but Kennedy offers greater speed, more physical play, and a more effective "finisher" for Malkin's playmaking ability.

TK would be my choice on this one, but if you can't get your hands on him Sullivan should be a decent play as well. Loads of PP ice-time should be coming his way [Sully].

Dobber Sports Guru

fingers crossed boys

ian_mendes Ian Mendes
    Pens forward James Neal - who we thought had a broken foot - is on the ice for the morning skate today.

Dobber Sports Guru

Im so happy im updating all the Neal threads I can find

PensInsideScoop Pens Inside Scoop
    #Pens Neal: I'm good to go. I'm ready to play tonight -Sam
    2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

PensInsideScoop Pens Inside Scoop
    #Pens Neal on his injured foot: After an MRI yesterday, it can’t get any worse. So I’m good to play on it. -MC

Dobber Sports Giant

Very nice as far as the Neal updates are concerned. Let's just hope his recovery goes fine while he remains on the ice over the next few weeks.

I was going to make these updates last night, but Dobberhockey was down in the middle of the night and I've been working all day so here we go...

- Eric Tangradi was recalled yesterday from Wilkes-Barre of the AHL. Even though it looks like James Neal will remain in the lineup, I still think he will be given another shot, given how Staal's absence will cause a "shuffle" amongst the healthy forward replacements [Dupuis, Vitale, Park, Adams etc.].

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610721

- The Penguins have recalled Simon Despres from Wilkes-Barre. I'm very glad to see the lanky defenseman back in the Pens' lineup. It looks like Paul Martin perhaps won't be in the lineup tonight against the Senators.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610966

Now some highlights from the Pens Report 1/10/12 vs. Senators:

- Craig Adams updates:

More from Craig Adams on his injury and tonight's game...

On how he’s feeling:
    Yeah, I feel good. I think I am going to play tonight,hopefully. So it felt good.

On if taking Monday off helped him heal:
    Yeah, I think so. A day’s rest and just kind of evaluate what’s going on. Like I said I felt good this morning then felt good on the ice. So I don’t see any reason why I can’t play tonight.

On if he has to wear a brace:
    Yeah. Well, I’ve been wearing a brace for a while, so it’s no different.

On wanting to come back as soon as possible with all the injuries:
    I think everybody wants to play all the time anyway. So sure, you feel a responsibility, but I think you want to contribute and you feel that responsibility whether you have a full lineup or not. Maybe it’s in the back of your mind, but I don’t really think at the end of the day it changes that much.

On the Penguins’ luck turning around:
    I don’t know what’s going on with ‘Nealer’ (laughs), but he skated so that’s obviously a good sign. Hopefully we’ll have him back sooner rather than later.
    - Again with some James Neal information [great news]:

On his condition:
    I’m good to go tonight. Obviously it wasn’t as worse as we thought, so we’re good to go and I felt all right in the morning skate.

On if his foot really is broken:
    Yeah, it’s all right to go. Put it that way. Originally when we first saw the X-rays and everything, it looked worse. But after an MRI yesterday, it can’t get any worse. So I’m good to play on it.
    http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=610923

- Some injury updates from Coach Disco Dan Bylsma:

On Neal:
    The first preliminary tests after the game indicated a fracture in his navicular area, a tough bone and tough place to heal. Further tests, an MRI done yesterday showed that what he had was a pre-existing condition. Possibly having done it as a small kid. It showed up as a crack on the X-Ray, but the MRI showed it is not a break. He does have a bone bruise and it’s a play as pain permits injury for James. That’s why we saw James Neal on the ice today.
    Over time it will get better. He’s fine and able to go. He was pretty relieved to find out the news. With just a bone bruise, he should be healing as days go by.

On Martin:
    Martin was not out there today. He’s still ill. He’s a game-time (decision) at this point in time. We’ll see how he is when he comes to the rink tonight. If he is not able to play we’ll have to recall a defenseman.

On Crosby:
    I don’t have an update for you besides that he is exercising. What that is in terms of heart rate and activity is different on different days. That’s where Sid is at right now in his rehab.
    - Goaltender Brent Johnson will get the start tonight against the Ottawa Senators. Great test for Johnny to help the Penguins get off the schneid against a really surprising Senators squad.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Pregame vs. Ottawa Senators

- Paul Martin will not play tonight with an apparent illness.

- Not Penguins related, but Karlsson surprisingly scratched… I wonder what’s wrong.

Starting line Combos:

Neal-Malkin-Kunitz
    Tangradi-Dupuis-Kennedy
    Cooke-Park-Sullivan
    Asham-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Engelland
    Despres-Michalek
    Niskanen-Lovejoy

B. Johnson
    via Pittsburgh Penguins on Twitter @pghpenguins

Huge roar from crowd as @jneal_18 is announced on RW. @malkin71_, Chris Kunitz, Deryk Engelland, Brooks Orpik & Brent Johnson also starting
    https://twitter.com/#!/pghpenguins/s...89306647113728
    Last edited by mounD; January 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM.