Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    Tangradi got recalled yesterday.

Showcasing him for a trade?
    It's possible... I'm not really so sure there's a lot of interest out there for a guy who has been given plenty of chances to succeed in the NHL - and hasn't really done much to this point.

However, I think the Penguins are going to be in the market for some insurance at the #2 goalie position, so Tangradi could be a chip to dangle for an undervalued veteran presence in net.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Week in Review (Feb. 13-19)

Check out my latest piece over at HHH:

"Pens Week in Review (Feb. 13-19)"

Thanks....

More to come in a few hours on what I feel the Penguins should be doing as the trade deadline approaches...

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default In the Cage: A Deadline Dilemma for the Mighty Penguins

"In the Cage: A Deadline Dilemma for the Mighty Penguins"

Thanks guys... Enjoy!

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

"In the Cage: A Deadline Dilemma for the Mighty Penguins"

Thanks guys... Enjoy!
    Well written article but can't agree much what you said there.

First of all Brent Johnson has been nursing injury/illness which is the reason why Thiessen has been called up. If Johnson would be healthy, I can't see Thiessen earning a call-up.

Second of all, none of those goalies make really any sense for Pens:

Harding - Would cost atleast a 2nd rounder and doesn't make sense to use valuable asset for a backup goalie who'd leave in the summer as a UFA. Teams like Tampa should and could outbid Penguins for the services of Harding. There's some rumors the Pens kicking tires on Harding, but that's just Shero doing his due dilligence. Can't see Shero matching the asking price.

Niittymaki - He's the first goalie ever to be playing with an artificial hip and has played around 10 games within the last year. His numbers in AHL this year suck as he's still recovering from the hip injury and he carries a cap hit of $2 million. There's no way Penguins are considering Niittymaki. He's no upgrade over BJ at this point.

Sanford - He's played great for Columbus but has battled injuries (back?) this year. He's less proven backup than BJ so I don't see him as an upgrade.

Khabibulin - Can't believe you brought up his name. He carries a cap hit of $3.75 million for this AND next year. There's no way any team brings him up to be their backup goalie - especially not a cap team like Penguins who have no extra cap room.

I don't see any realistic backup goalie options available for Penguins (well Sanford could make some sense but it's not a risk worth taking). Riding with BJ as a backup this year is likely the best option. Johnson has been loyal soldier for the team a few years and he's been great in the past. He's a great locker room guy too. He deserves to finish his career as a Penguin with honor. I really don't see Penguins making a move at goalie even though Johnson has really dropped the ball this year. If anything, give Thiessen one game over the weekend to see what he has and that's a solid fall back option if Johnson's injury keeps him out long or there's a need for goalie later in the season (I hope not).
    Last edited by Carcillo; February 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Giant

Well written article but can't agree much what you said there.

First of all Brent Johnson has been nursing injury/illness which is the reason why Thiessen has been called up. If Johnson would be healthy, I can't see Thiessen earning a call-up.

Second of all, none of those goalies make really any sense for Pens:

Harding - Would cost atleast a 2nd rounder and doesn't make sense to use valuable asset for a backup goalie who'd leave in the summer as a UFA. Teams like Tampa should and could outbid Penguins for the services of Harding. There's some rumors the Pens kicking tires on Harding, but that's just Shero doing his due dilligence. Can't see Shero matching the asking price.

Niittymaki - He's the first goalie ever to be playing with an artificial hip and has played around 10 games within the last year. His numbers in AHL this year suck as he's still recovering from the hip injury and he carries a cap hit of $2 million. There's no way Penguins are considering Niittymaki. He's no upgrade over BJ at this point.

Sanford - He's played great for Columbus but has battled injuries (back?) this year. He's less proven backup than BJ so I don't see him as an upgrade.

Khabibulin - Can't believe you brought up his name. He carries a cap hit of $3.75 million for this AND next year. There's no way any team brings him up to be their backup goalie - especially not a cap team like Penguins who have no extra cap room.

I don't see any realistic backup goalie options available for Penguins (well Sanford could make some sense but it's not a risk worth taking). Riding with BJ as a backup this year is likely the best option. Johnson has been loyal soldier for the team a few years and he's been great in the past. He's a great locker room guy too. He deserves to finish his career as a Penguin with honor. I really don't see Penguins making a move at goalie even though Johnson has really dropped the ball this year. If anything, give Thiessen one game over the weekend to see what he has and that's a solid fall back option if Johnson's injury keeps him out long or there's a need for goalie later in the season (I hope not).
    The Penguins have $1.1 mil in "usable" cap-space available right now... Plus, any deal to acquire one of these guys would obviously be sending salary the other way. Another thing to consider is that if the Penguins don't plan to have Crosby for the playoffs - which is entirely possible - the team will have another $5.5 mil. in cap-space available.

I suppose Shero would rather just ride the wheels off Fleury, but there will be serious question if he can survive a long playoff run if he has to start nearly every game down the stretch (probably ~75), since Johnson has been absolutely terrible. I think if the Penguins want any hope of going deep in the playoffs, you HAVE to bring someone in to stabilize the back-up position.

Columbus has brought in Mcelhinny (sp?) and they have a number of goalies in the system: Mason, Sanford, Mcelhinny, Dekanich etc. so it's possible that Sanford could become available - with how well he's played in CBJ on a BAD BAD defensive team you have to believe that he would be fine stabilizing a backup role for the Penguins, a stout defensive team. The Penguins have enough cap-room to bring in Sanford (or a Sanford type) and just dump them in the offseason once they've used up their value to the team.

Thiessen is probably the back-up goaltender behind MAF next season, so it's really inconsequential past this year. I just believe that if we are either a) forced to ride the wheels off Fleury or b) roll the dice with Brent Johnson and hope that we don't get blown out, then the best option is actually to just spend some cap space and get a reliable option to save Fleury's energy for the playoffs.

I would hate to think that the Penguins' season could be messed up because MAF was overworked down the stretch. Could just be paranoia, but it seems more rational than the usual "trade Paul Martin" dribble...

Plus, none of this will matter if Thiessen can come in and provide a couple good starts - starting with one this weekend. I also want to clarify that this move doesn't push BJ out; he's a professional and he understands that he's not playing well enough to warrant starts right now. It's not like the Penguins are going to waive the guy or anything. Believe me... I don't forget what Johnny did for this team last season, I just don't want a minor inconsistency of this team to unravel into a major, gaping hole that could compromise a very promising season.

Ideally we do nothing and get by with BJ and Thiessen, but I don't know if that's going to be enough. Since Shero likes to keep that $1 mil in cap-space for "emergencies" this just might be the time to push the big red button. I sure hope we don't have to, but we don't want to get left hoarding the last bit of cash when it could've helped the team greatly.
    Last edited by mounD; February 25, 2012 at 1:55 AM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    The Penguins have $1.1 mil in "usable" cap-space available right now... Plus, any deal to acquire one of these guys would obviously be sending salary the other way. Another thing to consider is that if the Penguins don't plan to have Crosby for the playoffs - which is entirely possible - the team will have another $5.5 mil. in cap-space available.

Columbus has brought in Mcelhinny (sp?) and they have a number of goalies in the system: Mason, Sanford, Mcelhinny, Dekanich etc. so it's possible that Sanford could become available - with how well he's played in CBJ on a BAD BAD defensive team you have to believe that he would be fine stabilizing a backup role for the Penguins, a stout defensive team. The Penguins have enough cap-room to bring in Sanford (or a Sanford type) and just dump them in the offseason once they've used up their value to the team.
    Yeah, but having cap space doesn't make Niittymaki or Khabibulin viable options. No way, no how. The other is damaged goods and the other has horrible contract through 2012-13 season. It's even 35+ contract so getting rid of it would be hard if not impossible.

McElhinney was just a contract dump and he's out for the season. Same goes for Dekanich. Columbus needs goaltending the rest of the season so they'd most likely need a goalie back if they trade Sanford. So therefore moving Sanford is unlikely option and not like I believe he'd be upgrade over BJ anyways. It's different to start a game once a month than many games in a row like Sanford has been able to do in Columbus. He's gotten in to the rhytm which makes it easier for goaltender. Also he's been playing in no pressure situation and if we bring him in to replace BJ he'd have pressure to perform well. He's a solid option but I can't see him as a guaranteed upgrade over BJ.

I'd rather see the Penguin use the little cap space they have to upgrade upfront. They need some more secondary scoring and grit. A guy like Gaustad would give the team a lot options and in the ideal situation they'd acquire gritty top-6 winger. I think that would improve the team more than getting a backup goalie.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Giant

Yeah, but having cap space doesn't make Niittymaki or Khabibulin viable options. No way, no how. The other is damaged goods and the other has horrible contract through 2012-13 season. It's even 35+ contract so getting rid of it would be hard if not impossible.

McElhinney was just a contract dump and he's out for the season. Same goes for Dekanich. Columbus needs goaltending the rest of the season so they'd most likely need a goalie back if they trade Sanford. So therefore moving Sanford is unlikely option and not like I believe he'd be upgrade over BJ anyways. It's different to start a game once a month than many games in a row like Sanford has been able to do in Columbus. He's gotten in to the rhytm which makes it easier for goaltender. Also he's been playing in no pressure situation and if we bring him in to replace BJ he'd have pressure to perform well. He's a solid option but I can't see him as a guaranteed upgrade over BJ.

I'd rather see the Penguin use the little cap space they have to upgrade upfront. They need some more secondary scoring and grit. A guy like Gaustad would give the team a lot options and in the ideal situation they'd acquire gritty top-6 winger. I think that would improve the team more than getting a backup goalie.
    Theoretically, I agree with going out and targeting a Gaustad-type, but he's likely to stay in Buffalo - since I believe they are only 3 points out of the playoff picture right now. In any event, it's just rumblings. Aside from the Harding bit I've been hearing a bit about, it's all pretty much speculation.

I agree Niitty doesn't really make much sense, with the artificial hip and all, but the veteran presence shouldn't be discounted. This guy is a battler, if he wasn't he would have retired already.

As for Khabibulin, the article pretty much said I only included him "because I want to see him in a Penguins uniform," but that's neither here nor there. I don't see Khabi as being close to viable, but I figured I would include him anyway.

I really do think Sanford could become available, and if Thiessen can't provide a spark, and BJ's nagging injury isn't going to "allow" for a quick recovery, I really don't see much other option for the Penguins than to go after the guy. Hey, anything's possible...

Thanks for the back and forth, Carcillo.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 2/25/12 v. Tampa Bay Lightning (Postgame):

*Just as a side note before I begin, I wanted to let local Pittsburgh folks know about the burger place in Consol Energy Center: "Burgatory". The burgers are a bit on the expensive side, but you can't honestly expect a good deal w/ arena food. In any event it was a juicy, delicious burger that I would recommend to anyone upon visiting their next Penguins home game.

Today's Line Combinations / Scratches via penguins.nhl.com:

It's official: Orpik and Niskanen are both in. Lovejoy, Jeffrey and Johnson are scratched. The line combos...

Sullivan-Staal-Dupuis
    Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
    Cooke-Vitale-Asham
    Tangradi-Adams-Park

Martin-Letang
    Orpik-Michalek
    Niskanen-Engelland

Fleury between the pipes. Dwayne Roloson is in goal for Tampa.

- The Penguins pretty much put a wallop on the Tampa Bay Lightning this afternoon, but the game was much closer than an initial look at the boxscore might indicate. Teams traded offensive chances over the first half of the 1st period until Christ Kunitz broke the scoreless tie at 11:09 with his 17th goal of the year. It's shaping up that the Malkin line will each finish with at least 20+ goals - obviously more in the case of Malkin (36) and Neal (30). Just 50 seconds later Cooke scored his 12th of the season to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead and more importantly ALL the momentum in the game.

- At the 13:55 mark Zbynek Michalek went off for his second penalty of the game, and the Lightning went to the PP; however, things didn't turn out as they had planned when the linesman ended up setting a perfect pick for Jordan Staal to free himself up for a breakaway chance that he buried at 14:40 to give the Penguins a commanding 3-0 lead; the goal was Staal's 2nd SHG in the past four games, and 20th of the season.

- In the second period the Penguins maintained their momentum - thanks to a dedicated push from all four lines and some AMAZING saves by a certain Marc-Andre Fleury. With some great saves 'especially' over the first 10 minutes or so of the 2nd period, Fleury helped maintain the Penguins 3 goal lead before the Penguins went to the PP at 8:54 of the period and were able to add another insurance marker.

- Jordan Staal scored his 2nd goal of the game [a PPG] at 10:11 to extend the Penguins lead to four. Just a few minutes later Malkin would score his 34th of the season on a beautiful slap-shot to give the Penguins a 5-0 lead; Teddy Purcell would finally penetrate Fleury's defenses at the 17:28 mark to give the Lightning some life (as a side note, just before Purcell's goal the two kids behind me were talking about Fleury's SHO last game, and saying that he "might get another shutout today"... thanks guys). The Penguins took a four-goal advantage into the 2nd intermission, and had their boot firmly on the throat of the Lightning.

- Just 5:50 into the final frame Malkin would score his 2nd of the afternoon on what was potentially the Goal of the Year. Malkin picked up the puck near the Lightning' blue line and danced around a couple defenders en route to slipping the puck gently past Roloson after deking him seemingly within an inch of his life. After scoring the goal, Malkin was shown glaring down Roloson - apparently in disrespect of his 'shoving' toward Malkin earlier in the contest. Bruce Boudreau once said that you can get Malkin off his game if you get "under his skin" ... I'm here to tell you that's the 'old Malkin'. The new and improved Malkin just says "**** you" and scores a highlight reel goal, then glares you down like some sort of old Soviet mind-trick. This 'new and improved' Geno is without a doubt the MVP of the NHL.

- Malkamania continued at the 13:42 mark when Malkin fired home the hat-trick goal on a Powerplay to give the Penguins a 7-1 advantage. Malkin's 36th goal of the season and 77th point (in only 54 games) blew the roof off the building, and hats littered the Consol Energy Center ice surface. Chants of "MVP! MVP! MVP!" rained down from the rafters in a full-on Saturday afternoon "love-in" with our Russian superstar. Pascal Dupuis would add his 14th goal of the season with just under a minute remaining in the 3rd period to bring the final score to 8-1 Penguins. A good 'ol 1980s style shellacking for the 18.5k on hand to witness Evgeni Malkin extend his points-lead over Stamkos to four - in 7 less GP.

Link to Box-score for Game Stats / Player TOI:

Game Statistics:

Penguins 8 - Lightning 1

SOG: 35-34 TBL
    HITS: 34-26 PIT
    FOW: 36-26 PIT
    BLKS: 16-12 PIT

Three Stars:

1. Evgeni Malkin just continues to dazzle the competition, adding another four points in what has become an MVP-caliber season from the once-maligned Russian superstar. Malkin scored a HT - including a beautiful individual effort leading to a classic Malkin goal on a breakaway - and added an assist in a mere 13:29 TOI. Malkin also added 4 PIM, was +3 and had 5 SOG.

2. Marc-Andre Fleury turned in a 'gem' in this afternoon's contest, stopping 34/35 Lightning shots (.971) en route to the Pens victory. Making some incredible stops over the first 40 minutes - including a point blank opportunity for Steven Stamkos - MAF was the reason this game wasn't a much closer affair. The score could have easily been 8-6, and for that reason Fleury garners the #2 star honors.

3. Jordan Staal has really shown me something with his goal-scoring this season, and he found the back of the net twice this afternoon - and added an assist. Staal had 5 SOG, skated in nearly 20 minutes TOI, and finished the contest with a healthy +2 rating. If Staal's point/goal production were prorated for a full 82-game season, he would finish the season with 40+ goals for the first time in his NHL career. Staal is truly blossiming, and today was just another example of his offensive skill-set coming to the fore.

HM: Honorable mentions to Steve Sullivan and James Neal who both showcased some of their playmaking skills - each finishing with 3A on the afternoon. Neal and Sullivan skated 14:11 and 12:34, respectively; and the pair finished a combined +3 on the afternoon with 5 SOG.

Dobber Sports Giant

Check out the latest over at HHH:

"Pens Week in Review (Feb. 20-26)"

Dobber Sports Giant

via @JoshYohe_Trib on Twitter:

Bylsma said Letang still having symptoms but they aren't severe

https://twitter.com/#!/JoshYohe_Trib...78948607410177

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Report 3/2/12

Hello out there again, people. Things have been busy with classes, and writing my dissertation - as well blogging for High Heels and Hockey - and I haven't had much time for the "in-depth" coverage I was providing before. I had some free time on my hands, and figured I would post some highlights from the Pens Report:

- Steve Sullivan, Kris Letang, and Brent Johnson were all absent from the Penguins practice this morning. Letang is dealing with concussion symptoms - not severe reportedly - while Brent Johnson deals with an undisclosed injury and Sullivan is dealing with a LBI.

Penguins Line Combinations (Practice):

Crosby filling in for Sullivan in the combination drills. Lines look like this...

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
    Crosby-Staal-Dupuis
    Cooke-Vitale-Park
    Asham-Adams-Tangradi

Orpik-Michalek
    Martin-Engelland
    Niskanen-Lovejoy
    Follow this Link to see some cool footage from Marc-Andre Fleury's Goalie-cam worn for Pens TV. The video is the second from the top, and is under the heading, "10:10 AM (MOUNTAIN TIME):"

Dobber Sports Giant

(Partially) redundant Tweet via @JoshYohe_Trib

There is a feeling around some people close to Pens that if Letang has concussion, it is minor. I know you've heard that before. Just saying
    https://twitter.com/#!/JoshYohe_Trib...27587639820291

Hopefully this isn't a bunch of bullshit. The Penguins really have no chance to go anywhere in the playoffs without Letang; that's just the long and short of it.

Thanks for the update, D. Here's hoping he's back sooner rather than later.
    @SmittysRant

Super Moderator

You think a call up for Despres is on the horizon? How's he been doing in the AHL since he got back from injury?
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    You think a call up for Despres is on the horizon? How's he been doing in the AHL since he got back from injury?
    Can't really speak much to how he's been doing in the A, but I would definitely expect a call-up on the horizon, if for nothing else than what he can bring to the PP2.