Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Initiate

What a snipe by Neal, that's all I have to say.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/22/12 v. Washington Capitals [Game Recap]:

Today's game recap is going to follow a little bit of a different format; I've taken on another writing opportunity with HighHeels&Hockey, a Pittsburgh-based hockey blog, so my commitment to covering Penguins action at DobberHockey could change slightly.

I'll try to provide as many period recaps as I possibly can - as I know people who are unable to watch the games really appreciate this type of coverage - but it's incredibly time-consuming before/during/after the games.

I hope everyone will bear with me and stick with the coverage, I promise I will put everything I have into it.

- mounD

Without further ado, here we go w/ some Pens/Caps Postgame:

- The Penguins came out very strong in the 1st Period of this afternoon's game at Consol Energy Center. Kris Letang scored on the PP at 4:51 on a seeing-eye slapshot from the point that fooled Neuvirth after splitting a crowd in front of the net. The Penguins followed up with another goal just over a minute later. Off a Malkin faceoff win, James Neal fired the puck high glove-side, beating Neuvirth to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead. Entering the 1st Intermission, the Penguins were riding a dominant 2-goal lead and seemed to have the extra jump winning all the 1-on-1 puck battles.

- The 2nd Period, however, was a much different story for the Penguins. Going into the period, the Pens were shorthanded on a hi-sticking call to Eric Tangradi, and following the PK the Penguins were unable to get any offense going. Over the first several minutes of the 2nd, the Capitals only allowed 1 SOG to the Penguins, and nearly halfway through the period the Capitals were able to break through. Brooks Laich scored on a wrist-shot at 11:02 of the period, and Alexander Semin added another goal off a beautiful Alexander Ovechkin rush and pass to tie the affair 2-2. The Penguins were able to create some chances over the second half of the period, but going into the 3rd Period the Capitals were pushing the tempo.

- In the 3rd Period things got ugly for the Penguins. Fast. Alex Ovechkin scored on a cross-ice feed, firing a puck past Fleury low short side at 1:08 of the 3rd to give the Capitals a 3-2 lead in the hockey game. It was Ovechkin's 3rd point of the afternoon [his FIRST 3-point game of the entire season!]. Malkin would have to answer this bullshit with some dazzling of his own. Just past the 7-minute mark of the period, Malkin took matters into his own hands with a beautiful end-to-end rush with the puck. He was unable to control the puck splitting the Caps' defenders, but he corralled the puck in the corner and put a beautiful chance on a platter for James Neal. The gifted sniper didn't disappoint the Consol Energy Center crowd, firing the shot up and over Neuvirth's shoulder on the short side.

The Penguins very nearly lost this game in the final seconds as Brooks Laich fired a booming shot off the far post / crossbar past Fleury's right shoulder. The post provided some good luck, and the teams entered OT tied 3-3.

- The Penguins didn't waste any time getting to work in the OT period. Sustained pressure led to Penguins chances, but after nearly a minute and a half, Malkin again took over the affairs of this contest. Skating through the entire offensive zone, Malkin set up a beautiful passing play that eventually left him all alone in front w/ a juicy rebound at his feet. At 1:31 of OT Malkin blasted the puck up and over a sprawling Neuvirth, clinching the Penguins 4-3 OT victory.

- Evgeni Malkin led all Penguins forwards with 22:39 TOI [4:57 on PP], firing 6 SOG and registering 3 points [1G,2A] and a +3 rating. James Neal skated 21:46 TOI also firing 6 SOG and scoring 3 points [2G,1A], 2 PIM and a +3 rating. This duo has been AMAZING for the Penguins, especially in the absence of Sidney Crosby. During the Penguins 6-game winning streak, Malkin and Neal have certainly carried the offensive play for the Penguins. Chris Kunitz should NOT be forgotten, though, as he is playing very well defensively and contributing to the chemistry of the Malkin-Neal tandem on a nightly basis.

- Kris Letang led all Penguins players w. 27:09 TOI [4:00 on PP; 1:30 on SH], also firing 3 SOG and scoring a 1st Period Goal. His importance to this Penguins team cannot be understated, so I will continue to state it. This guy is dynamite, having scored 4 points [3 games] since returning from a concussion suffered Nov. 26th. With Letang in the lineup, the Penguins are a much different, and better team. His partner Brooks Orpik finished the afternoon with 24:04 TOI [3:16 on SH], registering 1 Assist and 2 PIM.

Game Totals:

Penguins 4 - Capitals 3 [OT]

SOG: 27-20 PIT
    HITS: 29-21 WAS
    FOW: 33-27 PIT
    BLKS: 25-17 WAS

STAT OF THE GAME: The Penguins have now out-shot their opponents a league-leading 37 times this season.

Three Stars:

1. Evgeni Malkin [surprise, surprise] was a force of nature this afternoon against the Washington Capitals. Geno scored 3 points [1G,2A] in the game, including a primary assist on James Neal's third-period tying goal and the GWG in Overtime. Apparently Michal Neuvirth didn't have an answer for the age-old question: 'What you gonna do when Malkamania's comin' for you, brother?'

2. Alexander Ovechkin had his best game of the season offensively in this afternoon's tilt. Ovechkin registered 2 Assists during the 2nd Period, and scored early in the 3rd to give the Capitals their first lead in the hockey game. Ovechkin fired 2 SOG, scored 3 pts. [1G,2A] and finished the game w/ a +3 rating in 20:35 TOI [5:05 on PP]. It appears Oven Chicken is awakening from his early-season slumber. Rip van Winkle, bitches.

3. James Neal continues his incredible break-out season, and has been among the top-5 goalscorers all season. Neal scored his 25th and 26th goals of the season in today's game, including the game-tying goal late in the 3rd Period. Neal added 6 SOG and 2 PIM to his 3-point afternoon. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I had to "talk off the ledge" this past offseason with respect to the James Neal trade. I have a cash bet with a friend, and it looks like I'm only 4 goals away from making $100 [14 away from $150]. Thank you, James Neal.

HM: Marc-Andre Fleury made his 21st straight appearance in goal for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Workhorse emerging [refer to my previous post / article]??? I certainly think so. There could be a couple reasons for this: 1) either Bylsma has supreme confidence in MAF's conditioning / confidence, or 2) Bylsma is losing confidence in Brent Johnson after a few 'bad' starts. It's possible that it could be some combination of the pair, but I believe it's mostly the former.

In any event, Fleury was strong enough to earn his 25th win of the season, stopping 17/20 Washington Shots on Goal. Not really the best performance of his career or anything, but Fleury gets the HM this afternoon for beginning to establish himself as the NHL's next workhorse goaltender [70+ games].
    Last edited by mounD; January 22, 2012 at 5:44 PM.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

Great job as always MounD, but Letang only had a goal and 3SOG today and that gives him 4 pts in the 3 games since his return, not 6. Might want to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Today's game recap is going to follow a little bit of a different format; I've taken on another writing opportunity with HighHeels&Hockey, a Pittsburgh-based hockey blog, so my commitment to covering Penguins action at DobberHockey could change slightly.

I'll try to provide as many period recaps as I possibly can - as I know people who are unable to watch the games really appreciate this type of coverage - but it's incredibly time-consuming before/during/after the games.

I hope everyone will bear with me and stick with the coverage, I promise I will put everything I have into it.

- mounD

Without further ado, here we go w/ some Pens/Caps Postgame:

- The Penguins came out very strong in the 1st Period of this afternoon's game at Consol Energy Center. Kris Letang scored on the PP at 4:51 on a seeing-eye slapshot from the point that fooled Neuvirth after splitting a crowd in front of the net. The Penguins followed up with another goal just over a minute later. Off a Malkin faceoff win, James Neal fired the puck high glove-side, beating Neuvirth to give the Penguins a 2-0 lead. Entering the 1st Intermission, the Penguins were riding a dominant 2-goal lead and seemed to have the extra jump winning all the 1-on-1 puck battles.

- The 2nd Period, however, was a much different story for the Penguins. Going into the period, the Pens were shorthanded on a hi-sticking call to Eric Tangradi, and following the PK the Penguins were unable to get any offense going. Over the first several minutes of the 2nd, the Capitals only allowed 1 SOG to the Penguins, and nearly halfway through the period the Capitals were able to break through. Brooks Laich scored on a wrist-shot at 11:02 of the period, and Alexander Semin added another goal off a beautiful Alexander Ovechkin rush and pass to tie the affair 2-2. The Penguins were able to create some chances over the second half of the period, but going into the 3rd Period the Capitals were pushing the tempo.

- In the 3rd Period things got ugly for the Penguins. Fast. Alex Ovechkin scored on a cross-ice feed, firing a puck past Fleury low short side at 1:08 of the 3rd to give the Capitals a 3-2 lead in the hockey game. It was Ovechkin's 3rd point of the afternoon [his FIRST 3-point game of the entire season!]. Malkin would have to answer this bullshit with some dazzling of his own. Just past the 7-minute mark of the period, Malkin took matters into his own hands with a beautiful end-to-end rush with the puck. He was unable to control the puck splitting the Caps' defenders, but he corralled the puck in the corner and put a beautiful chance on a platter for James Neal. The gifted sniper didn't disappoint the Consol Energy Center crowd, firing the shot up and over Neuvirth's shoulder on the short side.

The Penguins very nearly lost this game in the final seconds as Brooks Laich fired a booming shot off the far post / crossbar past Fleury's right shoulder. The post provided some good luck, and the teams entered OT tied 3-3.

- The Penguins didn't waste any time getting to work in the OT period. Sustained pressure led to Penguins chances, but after nearly a minute and a half, Malkin again took over the affairs of this contest. Skating through the entire offensive zone, Malkin set up a beautiful passing play that eventually left him all alone in front w/ a juicy rebound at his feet. At 1:31 of OT Malkin blasted the puck up and over a sprawling Neuvirth, clinching the Penguins 4-3 OT victory.

- Evgeni Malkin led all Penguins forwards with 22:39 TOI [4:57 on PP], firing 6 SOG and registering 3 points [1G,2A] and a +3 rating. James Neal skated 21:46 TOI also firing 6 SOG and scoring 3 points [2G,1A], 2 PIM and a +3 rating. This duo has been AMAZING for the Penguins, especially in the absence of Sidney Crosby. During the Penguins 6-game winning streak, Malkin and Neal have certainly carried the offensive play for the Penguins. Chris Kunitz should NOT be forgotten, though, as he is playing very well defensively and contributing to the chemistry of the Malkin-Neal tandem on a nightly basis.

- Kris Letang led all Penguins players w. 27:09 TOI [4:00 on PP; 1:30 on SH], also firing 6 SOG and scoring 3 points [1G,2A]. His important to this Penguins team cannot be understated, so I will continue to state it. This guy is dynamite, having scored 6 points [3 games] since returning from a concussion suffered Nov. 26th. With Letang in the lineup, the Penguins are a much different, and better team. His partner Brooks Orpik finished the afternoon with 24:04 TOI [3:16 on SH], registering 1 Assist and 2 PIM.

Three Stars:

1. Evgeni Malkin [surprise, surprise] was a force of nature this afternoon against the Washington Capitals. Geno scored 3 points [1G,2A] in the game, including a primary assist on James Neal's third-period tying goal and the GWG in Overtime. Apparently Michal Neuvirth didn't have an answer for the age-old question: 'What you gonna do when Malkamania's comin' for you, brother?'

2. Alexander Ovechkin had his best game of the season offensively in this afternoon's tilt. Ovechkin registered 2 Assists during the 2nd Period, and scored early in the 3rd to give the Capitals their first lead in the hockey game. Ovechkin fired 2 SOG, scored 3 pts. [1G,2A] and finished the game w/ a +3 rating in 20:35 TOI [5:05 on PP]. It appears Oven Chicken is awakening from his early-season slumber. Rip van Winkle, bitches.

3. James Neal continues his incredible break-out season, and has been among the top-5 goalscorers all season. Neal scored his 25th and 26th goals of the season in today's game, including the game-tying goal late in the 3rd Period. Neal added 6 SOG and 2 PIM to his 3-point afternoon. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I had to "talk off the ledge" this past offseason with respect to the James Neal trade. I have a cash bet with a friend, and it looks like I'm only 4 goals away from making $100 [14 away from $150]. Thank you, James Neal.

HM: Marc-Andre Fleury made his 21st straight appearance in goal for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Workhorse emerging [refer to my previous post / article]??? I certainly think so. There could be a couple reasons for this: 1) either Bylsma has supreme confidence in MAF's conditioning / confidence, or 2) Bylsma is losing confidence in Brent Johnson after a few 'bad' starts. It's possible that it could be some combination of the pair, but I believe it's mostly the former.

In any event, Fleury was strong enough to earn his 25th win of the season, stopping 17/20 Washington Shots on Goal. Not really the best performance of his career or anything, but Fleury gets the HM this afternoon for beginning to establish himself as the NHL's next workhorse goaltender [70+ games].

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Giant

Updated. Thanks for letting me know. I was looking at Malkin's stats for some reason...

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/23/12 Penguins News and Updates

- Evgeni Malkin is absolutely schooling people right now, leading the NHL with 58 points [26G] in only 41 GP.

"Beast Mode"

- Malkin was also named the NHL's First Star of the Week, following up on his Third Star honors last week. Evgeni Malkin is currently riding a 6-game point streak [9G, 4A].

"First Star of the Week"

- Kris Letang is very happy to be healthy; and now he's been named to the ASG as a replacement for Dustin Byfuglien. Still no James Neal in the ASG.

"Letang Added to All-Star Game"

Pens Report 1/23/12: I read the Pens' Report you get the highlights:

- Pens coach Bylsma said that Malkin and Orpik had maintenance days and he expects them on the ice Tuesday.

- Penguins Line Combinations in Practice:

Pens' lines are as follows:

Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
    Sullivan-Park-Cooke
    Tangradi-Vitale-Adams

Neal and Kunitz skated together with no center.

Dobber Sports Guru

So, Niskanen is clearly losing favor with the coaches -- is he playing very poorly, or is this simply a case of Letang replacing his minutes?

I'm more interested in him going forward (this year he's not gonna be much help to me). He's an RFA this summer -- is he a must-sign by the Pens? Still have a bright future?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    So, Niskanen is clearly losing favor with the coaches -- is he playing very poorly, or is this simply a case of Letang replacing his minutes?

I'm more interested in him going forward (this year he's not gonna be much help to me). He's an RFA this summer -- is he a must-sign by the Pens? Still have a bright future?
    It's not that Niskanen has played poorly, but he has definitely slowed down. There are a couple reasons in my eyes for this. First off, Paul Martin playing better is a HUGE factor in Niskanen's decreased opportunities. Typically, if Martin wasn't playing at his best - which was pretty normal earlier this year - then Niskanen would pretty much be getting all the PP1 time; however, more recently [before Letang returned] Martin and Niskanen were splitting time. As well, Niskanen was getting less opportunity at even-strength because of how well Martin was playing.

The next big factor is obviously Letang. He's going to be eating up big minutes in every situation, especially all the PP1 time. I wouldn't be banking on Niskanen for much outside of a split of PP2 w/ Martin.

As for his future prospects with the Penguins, I'm not so sure he is a must-sign. I would love for the Pens to be able to sign him, largely because of how well he plays positionally and his great skating ability, but there are plenty of quality D prospects in the Penguins' system [Morrow, Despres] who could be Pens' regulars next season.

I was all over Niskanen as a great option while Martin was struggling - and hurt - and while Letang was out of the lineup, but I'm not incredibly high on his potential in the current situation and going forward.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/24/12 News and Updates

- The Penguins have recalled forward Steve MacIntyre from Wilkes-Barre of the AHL in anticipation of tonight's game against the St. Louis Blues.

"Pens Recall MacIntyre"

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/24/12 @ St. Louis Blues Pregame:

- STAT OF THE DAY: The St. Louis Blues have gone 23-6-6 since Ken Hitchcock took over coaching duties of the club. Tough task for the Pens tonight.

Line Combinations:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
    Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
    Sullivan-Park-Cooke
    MacIntyre-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Letang
    Martin-Michalek
    Niskanen-Engelland

Fleury versus Brian Elliot.

- Tangradi, Asham and Lovejoy are tonight's scratches for PIT.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/24/12 @ St. Louis Blues [First Period Recap]:

- The Penguins and Blues are scoreless after 20 minutes of play in this hockey game, although the night hasn't been without its share of excitement. Each team traded chances on the PP, the Blues seeing the better of the scoring opportunities.

- MAF stood tall during the Blues only PP chance around the halfway point of the 1st, making key saves on David Backes in the slot and Chris Stewart coming down the wing. MAF and Brian Elliot each had 12 saves in the scoreless First.

- It's safe to say these teams don't like each other very much. Though they don't see one another often, the hatred seems to run pretty thick. Tonight's game so far has been incredibly physical w/ 20 Hits and 14 PIMs combined between the two squads.

-The Penguins PP went 0/2 on the period; St. Louis was 0/1 with the man-advantage.

- Malkin leads all Pens forwards with 8:09 TOI [3:26 on PP], adding 2 SOG. James Neal has also registered 2 SOG in 6:10 TOI [3:05 on the PP]. Kris Letang led all Penguins D-men with 7:14 TOI [3:20 on PP]. Zbynek Michalek registered 1 SOG in 6:25 TOI. Matt Niskanen had 6:29 TOI [2:02 on PP] and 2 PIM.

First Period Totals:

Penguins 0 - Blues 0

SOG: 12-12 tie
    HITS: 11-9 STL
    FOW: 9-6 PIT
    BLKS: 3-3 tie
    Last edited by mounD; January 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/24/12 @ St. Louis Blues [Second Period Recap]:

- If the 1st Period was exciting without the scoring, the 2nd Period provided everything lacking in the first frame. The 2nd Period, it seemed the floodgates opened and both teams had a plethora of quality scoring chances.

- The Blues PK was very strong for the most part, but James Neal managed to score a late PP Goal on their 3rd chance of the night. The goal was James Neal's 13th PPG of the season, 27th of the season and the 100th Goal of his NHL career. If this guy isn't going to the All-Star Game in OV's spot, there is seriously something wrong with the hockey-world.

- The Blues had some very good chances over the first half of the period; however, MAF played a very good period of hockey. Over the period, he madea great stop on a Chris Stewart breakaway chance, and boxed out a David Perron point-blank rebound.

- The trend of physicality continued largely over the 2nd Period, although it wasn't as gritty as the first. Through 2 periods, the teams have combined for 32 Hits.

- Steve Sullivan added the Penguins second goal of the night 12 minutes into the 2nd, giving the Penguins a 2-1 lead for a time, although the Blues were able to answer back ~3 minutes later. Stewart fed Patrik Berglund streaking through the slot, and he beat MAF on a beautiful deke to bring the Blues within 1.

- Evgeni Malkin leads all Penguins forwards w/ 15:32 TOI [5:15 on PP], and has 3 SOG. James Neal scored has scored 1 PPG in 12:33 TOI [4:54 on PP], adding 4 SOG and 2 PIM. Kris Letang leads all Penguins D-men with 16:23 [4:08 on PP]. Paul Martin has registered an Assist in 15:56 TOI [1:40 on PP].

Through Two Periods:

Penguins 2 - Blues 1

SOG: 22-19 PIT
    HITS: 18-14 STL
    FOW: 20-20 tie
    BLKS: 9-7 STL

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/24/12 @ St. Louis Blues [Third Period / Game Recap]:

- The Penguins had some very good chances in the final period, especially early on drawing a crucial penalty. Instead of converting on the PP chance, the Penguins surrendered a breakaway to Patrik Berglund who was hooked up and received a penalty-shot. Berglund would add his 2nd goal of the game, tying the affair 2-2.

- The third period was very exciting, and both goaltenders made some very big saves on the opponents, but the overall excitement was no match for the eventual OT period that would follow. Down the stretch, it seemed the Penguins were able to take over the tempo in the game; gaining an edge over a team that has now played 4 games in 6 nights.

- Matt Cooke was called for an awkward boarding penalty late in the 3rd Period; Bearing down on Barrett Jackman, Cooke shoved into Jackman's shoulder, but his body spun quickly and he went face-first into the boards. It was one of the more awkward hits I've seen in a long time. Certainly not a penalty though. 2:00 for being named Matt Cooke. Total bullshit reputation call.

- The OT period was an incredibly OUTSTANDING display by Penguins' goalie Marc-Andre Fleury. He made save, after save, after save, after save - all of which were highlight reel stops on point-blank opportunities with the game on the line. This guy might not post zany numbers, or get a ton of shutouts, but he has a super CLUTCH gene. Don't sleep on the "elite" status of MAF.

- Marc-Andre Fleury followed up his dominant performance in OT, and only surrendered one score in the shootout to TJ Oshie. Chris Kunitz scored the winning SHO goal in the 4th round to the skills competition to give the Penguins a 3-2 win.

Penguins - Blues BoxScore / Statistics:

Boxscore

Game Totals:

Penguins 3 - Blues 2 [SO]

SOG: 39-34 PIT
    HITS: 32-27 STL
    FOW: 30-29 STL
    BLKS: 14-12 STL

Three Stars:

1. Patrik Berglund exploded for two scores in tonight's hockey game, one on a SH penalty shot in the 2nd Period. Berglund added 5 SOG in 17:21 TOI [1:35 on PP]. In "limited" ice-time [considering STL's forward depth], Berglund was the unquestioned offensive star for the Blues tonight.

2. James Neal scored his 27th goal of the season on the PPG during the 1st Period of tonight's contest. Neal added 6 SOG and 2 PIM for diving early in the game, and continues to build on his league lead in SOG. He is now tied w/ Scott Hartnell with 13 PPG on the season.

3. Marc-Andre Fleury was lights-out in the 3rd Period - and especially in Overtime - to give the Penguins a chance to win this game tonight. Fleury stopped 32 / 34 Blues' SOG, and followed up by putting aside 2 / 3 in the skills competition. His peripherals might not be the best out there, but he gets the job done and the Penguins are ROLLING.

Seven straight wins now for the boys in Black & Gold. Let's keep this train 'arollin.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Matt Cooke: Guilty until Proven Innocent?

Hey guys, I would love if you would check out my most recent article for HighHeels&Hockey, the Pittsburgh Penguins blog I've been writing for recently.

Needless to say it's about a certain Matthew Cooke and his seeming inability to receive equitable officiating, unquestionably due to his reputation.

I hope you all enjoy!

"Matt Cooke: Guilty until Proven Innocent?"

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Sidney Crosby Update (1/27/12)

Some Sidney Crosby updates via Twitter:

- via Rob Rossi (Pittsburgh Trib):

#Crosby skating in Los Angeles - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: bit.ly/zvv5Jm via #pens #NHL #C
    Twitter

Trib Article:

Crosby Skating in Los Angeles

- via Josh Rimer:

Crosby News RT @renhockey: #penguins Sidney Crosby skated in LA all week. Will be back in Pittsburgh this week-end.
    Twitter

Looks like some encouraging progress for the Kid. I'll certainly be hoping for the best.
    Last edited by mounD; January 27, 2012 at 8:01 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1/31/12 v. Toronto Maple Leafs [Pregame]:

- Ben Lovejoy and Aaron Asham are the scratches tonight, as Asham continues to deal w/ concussion. Colin MacDonald from the AHL has been recalled and is in the lineup tonight.

Penguins Line Combinations:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
    Dupuis-Jeffrey-Kennedy
    Sullivan-Park-Cooke
    MacDonald-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Orpik
    Martin-Michalek
    Niskanen-Engelland

Fleury in the cage.