Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Giant

Arrow Pittsburgh Penguins

I found it a bit unbelievable there wasn't already a Pittsburgh Penguins section, so I've taken it upon myself to start the official Dobberhockey Pittsburgh Penguins Thread... At the very least, I would like to offer news updates, and possibly game recaps - although I can't promise anything as I am normally a very busy student

If one of the moderators could possibly sticky this thread, it would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, if anyone out there would like to offer their writing services and help out w/ the official Penguins thread, just send me a PM and we can work something out.

Without further ado...

MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Sunday, 12.11.2011 / 10:55 AM / News
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-assigned forward Jason Williams to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Williams, 31, made his Pittsburgh debut against the New York Islanders on Saturday night, going scoreless with two penalty minutes in 11:28 minutes.

via penguins.nhl.com
    Amidst all the speculation about "other" injuries Crosby might be dealing with. This news could possibly mean that one of or both of Crosby and/or Staal could be returning to the lineup Tuesday at home against DET.

- In other news, no real updates regarding Kris Letang and his concussion issues. In the Penguins most recent practice report, Letang wasn't even mentioned; so I wouldn't exactly expect him to return to the lineup soon.

- Same story w/ Zbynek Michalek, no real updates here either.

Fantasy Thoughts:

- James Neal is coming off a 2-goal effort against the Isles on Saturday night, and has really shown incredible consistency this season. He's been a great fantasy play [especially at home, scoring 11 of his 17 goals at Consol Energy Center], so make sure he's in your lineups Tuesday night.

- Matt Niskanen is a really underrated fantasy play while Kris Letang is out of the lineup. Over the past 7 days Niskanen has potted 3 assists, registered a +4, has totaled 7 PIMs, 1 PPP, 4 SOG, and 7 Hits. He's also been getting around 2+ minutes on the PP, so he could be a decent play over while Letang/Michalek are on the shelf. Deeper leagues take notice in the short-term.

- I predicted Evgeni Malkin would score 100+ points this season, and it looks like my prediction was a bit off - although if he keeps up the current pace he's on I should be pretty close. Geno has obviously missed some time due to "soreness" in his knee, but he's currently on pace for 91+ points. He's been everything the Penguins [and fantasy owners] have needed in the absence of Crosby and others this season. Good for you, Geno.
    Last edited by mounD; December 12, 2011 at 1:50 AM.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Good luck! I'm confident you'll rock it. Pretty active and knowledgeable poster around here these days.
    H2H 12 Team/12 Keeper League. Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, HITS, BS, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SO, Saves

C - Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom
    LW - Gaudreau, Parise, E. Kane, Jenner (C), Panik (RW)
    RW - MacKinnon (C), Ehlers (LW), Komorov (C), Shaw (C), Vrbata
    D - Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Gostisbehere, Gudas, Klefbom
    G- Holtby, Bishop, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy

Farm - Aho, Eriksson-Ek, Schmaltz, Kaprisov, Theodore, Zaietsev, Sorokin, Stolarz

Dobber Sports Giant

Another point to note:

With all the talk in the NHL about concussions and all the suspensions received from so-called "headshots" nowadays, I'm just a bit surprised this hit from Zac Rinaldo has gone largely unmentioned, and clearly unpunished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSRlqfoxYQ

I know the video isn't exactly the greatest quality, but you can see from the evidence that the hit was pretty messed up for a couple reasons. First, Rinaldo came in pretty late, well after Bortuzzo had shot the puck. It really irks me when players do this kind of thing to eachother; Secondly - and the worst part of the hit in my eyes - is the fact Rinaldo seemed to target Bortuzzo's head on the hit.

The result of that hit was a concussion for Bortuzzo, just adding to the Penguins Defensemen out of the lineup w/ concussion right now. Organizational depth will most certainly be tested over the coming days/weeks.

- mounD

Dobber Sports Giant

Default ...Crosby

Well, it looks like the Jason Williams news has nothing to do w/ Crosby. He addressed the media today after missing Monday's practice, and admitted that he's been dealing w/ concussion-like symptoms for the past few days; here is the video for anyone who hasn't seen it...

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Some telling quotes:

-Crosby feels, "not bad..." this morning...

- Crosby seemed to indicate that the hit from David Krecji was the hit that has put him on the shelf most recently.

- When asked if Crosby was frustrated, he answered back with this incredibly depressing quote [almost w/ a tear in his eye], "I don't know if frustrated even describes it ... it's not fun watching, but at the same time, I look at my ImPact [I look at some of that stuff] and I'm way better off than I was dealing with this stuff 10 months ago."

- There is no timeframe; however when asked how he feels Crosby answered, " Definitely better than August." I guess it doesn't hurt to speculate that he's feeling about a "September" right now, so he could be on the mend for another couple months... Crosby said his "Impact [was a positive sign]," however the concussion-test is obviously not foolproof.

- Clearly, this is ground-shaking news in Pittsburgh and around the hockey world. Get well soon, Sid.

- In more positive news, I would expect Jordan Staal in the lineup tomorrow night against DET.

EDIT:

Although it's only speculation at this point, I just wanted to add that there are some out there talking about possible "knee" problems for Crosby right now.

via Josh Rimer (@ JoshRimerHockey)

Sidney Crosby may be having symptoms, however I just heard from a 2nd Source that Sidney is also having Right knee trouble. (not left knee)
    Could be the dreaded double whammy of injuries for Crosby... this really is sad.
    Last edited by mounD; December 12, 2011 at 4:08 PM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Amazing job so far bud. Keep up the great work!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Giant

Exclamation Down on the Farm...

So I'm just sitting here bored out of my mind, trying to keep my mind off all the big injuries around the NHL right now so I decided I would post some ramblings about a Penguins prospect that some people around Dobberhockey have begun to notice: Joe Morrow. I'd like to preface this by saying I'm not an evaluator of prospects and that I've only seen Morrow in limited action [and a few highlights]; however, I still figured this section might be useful for some people who don't really know much at all about Morrow.

Just celebrating his birthday this past Friday [Dec 9], the 19 year old Morrow hails from Sherwood Park, Alberta and plays for the Portland Winterhawks of the WHL. The youngster has a solid frame for his age, being listed at just over 6-feet and anywhere from 197-206 lbs. - he should have a pretty solid man body in a few years. His development has gone very well in the WHL, and he has learned to effectively use his size and mobility to better use; however, more recently his production has reflected his offensive upside. Here is an excerpt from his prospect analysis courtesy of a puckprospectus.com article, "Top 10 Prospects: Pittsburgh Penguins":

http://www.puckprospectus.com/articl...articleid=1044

Joe Morrow entered his third WHL season expected to produce for the powerhouse Winterhawks and he delivered. He's a fine skater with good mechanics. Morrow regularly rushes the puck up the ice and shows nice agility in how he's able to weave through defenders. His puck skills are above-average to plus, but he's definitely a plus passer. Morrow makes above-average passes with ridiculous ease and he's multi-dimensional in his puck-moving ability. He can stretch the ice on the breakout, bring the puck up very well (and often mind you), and he controls the power play effectively. His offensive hockey sense is above-average as he is calm with the puck, senses pressure well and reacts well to the play while it's unfolding. While he does like to get involved in the offense a lot, it's rare that he would do so and make a bad play that would give up an odd-man rush.
    Last season [2010-11] Morrow put up quality numbers, scoring 9G [40A] in 60 GP; in addition he added 6G [14A] in 21 playoff games. He carried some of this offensive prowess into the Penguins camp and preseason earlier this year; Morrow played very well during the preseason and showed hints of his offensive talent [and his heavy shot]. For evidence view this PP goal setup from Letang during a preseason game against the Wild:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx6nQwzw9to

In addition to his big shot from the point, Morrow showed incredible poise handling the puck both in his own zone, moving up the ice on the rush, and possessing and moving the puck in and around the offensive zone. One thing that was very impressive about Morrow in my eyes was his incredible calm surrounding his play; he never seemed put off carrying the puck or making a good pass, and his defense game wasn't being exploited much in the process. Many opinions surrounding the Penguins believed Morrow could be NHL ready... ultimately the organization saw their incredible defensive depth [to begin the season at least ] - and realized Morrow would benefit from another season in the WHL - and decided to send the young defenseman back to juniors.

This WHL season Morrow is on his best pace in terms of point production, showing his offensive skills on an almost nightly basis. Although his traditionally high +/- rating is suffering a bit this year at -1 [+23, +17 the previous seasons], his offensive output is incredible: Morrow has scored 9G [19A] in 27 games and has already equaled his goal scoring totals from last season in under half the time. The blue chipper is on currently on pace to finish the season w/ 20 goals [42A] and over PPG production. There is also more grit to Morrow's game than usual, as he's already racked up 51 PIMs over 27 games, putting him on pace to finish the season with ~113 PIM. Just looking at the numbers, it appears Morrow is putting together an all-around game at the junior level, gaining more valuable experience for his future NHL career. Here is a video of Morrow dropping the gloves from last season - one of many such videos available on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HJ-OG-R3qk

Here is a sweet highlight goal scored by Morrow earlier this year [must scroll to 2:35 mark to see Morrow's sweet goal:

http://www.whl.ca/video/index/id/1319045479

I hope I didn't murder anyone with this wall of text, but I'm just very excited about the future that could be in store for this kid on Pittsburgh's blue-line. I hope a lot of you guys are excited about Joe Morrow, too.

- mounD

Dobber Sports Giant

via Pittsburgh Penguins / @PensPRLady on Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/PensPRLady/st...33422889541633

#JordanStaal and @malkin71_ taking warmups tonight- stay tuned for final lineup!
    -Looks like both players will be in the lineup tonight against DET. Set fantasy rosters accordingly...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    via Pittsburgh Penguins / @PensPRLady on Twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/PensPRLady/st...33422889541633

-Looks like both players will be in the lineup tonight against DET. Set fantasy rosters accordingly...
    You are my hero, mounD

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by soconfused View Post
    You are my hero, mounD
    No problem, I'm here to help. I should have a game breakdown following tonight's tilt as well, so don't forget to stop back later for some insight and analysis [probably a few jokes and rants as well].

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Welcome to the team MounD and Killer67.

Making it official in the Roto Guide on Thursday!

Finally Pens coverage! Great work so far.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Didn't even realize one of these had been started. 'Bout time someone covered the Pens and their never-ending freight train of injuries.

Looking forward to your coverage.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 12/13/11 vs. Detroit Red Wings [Period 1] Recap:

- Very tight checking first 7-8 minutes. Malkin line w/ Neal and Kunitz seems to be the default “Top line” sans Crosby, and Malkin looks very fresh after missing the morning skate today. Disco Dan was rolling the Malkin line heavily during the first period, and I would imagine this will continue with this Crosby-less team.

In what appears to be an effort to spread out scoring w/ no Crosby, Bylsma split up the Cooke-Staal-Kennedy line in favor of some other combinations.

Kunitz – Malkin – Neal
    (Asham) Sullivan – Adams – Williams
    Kennedy – Staal – Asham (Sullivan)
    Vitale – Dupuis - Cooke

Despres - Picard
    Orpik – Niskanen
    Martin - Engelland
    - Dupuis /Vitale/Cooke line was the matchup up against Datsyuk line throughout the period, and it seems like this is the matchup Bylsma wants. We are used to seeing Staal in this shut-down role; so we could potentially see more Staal line matchups against Datsyuk as the game continues.

-Sullivan began the period on the Adams line w/ Williams on the other wing, but spent more time toward the end of Period 1 on Staal’s line w/ Kennedy on the opposite wing.

PP combinations:

PP1:
    Neal – Malkin –Kunitz
    Niskanen – Sullivan
    PP2: Staal, Williams, Kennedy [2nd unit]; Martin on PP2
    - Niskanen led all Penguins defensemen with 8:24 TOI, and Malkin led all forwards with 6:32 ice-time [1:19 on PP] with 2 SOG and a beautiful goal w/ 4.5 seconds left in the period.

- Only 14 SOG total through the 1st period [8-6 DET advantage]; so I would expect the 2nd period to pick up a little bit in terms of increased scoring chances.

See you all after the 2nd period...

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 12/13/11 vs. Detroit Red Wings [Period 2] Recap:

After two periods, the game is tied 1-1...

-Early PP drawn by J. Neal, off a quality line-change from the Penguins€ Bad turnover from I. White to create the play€ absolutely INSANE drifting puck through the crease on the PP chance; diving play by Malkin and puck flies through crease€ Quality puck-movement and good chances on this PP.

-Interesting note: The Penguins have already lost 152 man-games to injury and it€™s not even the halfway point of the season [Letang, Crosby, Michalek, Bortuzzo, etc.].

-Cooke/Staal/Kennedy was reunited for a bit in the 2nd period; Asham skated with Dupuis€™ line w/ Vitale on the opposite wing. Staal and Kennedy also skated a couple shifts w/ Craig Adams on the wing. Plenty of different line combinations from Bylsma tonight; however the 2nd period brought another steady dose of Kunitz €“ Malkin €“ Neal on Ev strength as well as PP1.

- Both teams, but the Penguins especially, have done a very good job of €œtrapping up€ in the neutral zone this period. Under Bylsma, the Penguins defensive scheme has been pretty effective, and not just from the shut-down / checking lines; on that note, Vitale/Dupuis/Cooke has been incredibly effective shutting down the opposition [Datts, Zetterberg etc.] tonight. Vitale, especially has been incredibly tenacious in his shutdown role tonight.

-For those of you who are unfamiliar w/ Matt Niskanen, you should probably remember the name. In what was initially seen as a €œthrow in€ in the James Neal / Goligoski trade, he€™s quickly become one of the most effective Penguins defensemen in all zones. In Letang€™s absence he€™s been the #1 option on the Powerplay, and has been eating up ice-time [over 21+ per game] for the Penguins. His best asset is probably his skating ability, which allows him to maintain good gap position defensively, and also to join the rush and create offense on the counter-attack. I said before in a rambling that I thought Niskanen had some value in deeper formats while Letang is on the shelf [which could be awhile]. Don€™t sleep on this guy.

-The Penguins have opened it up a bit in this period with some quality scoring chances; however, they have done a great job limiting the Wings. As of the 15 minute mark, the Wings had just 2 SOG to the Penguins 11 SOG.
    - Datsyuk scored off a turnover in the defensive zone at the 16 minute mark on an ABSOLUTELY INSANE backhand shot over MAF blocker-side. This dude is just a special talent, probably the best player in the NHL in terms of overall impact. Perennial Selke and Hart trophy threat. The guy turns bad turnovers into goals; and the Penguins got bit hard on that one.

- Through the last few minutes of the period, the Wings seemed to gain a lot of confidence from the Datsyuk goal. The Penguins seemed to be on their heels a bit, until Malkin€™s line got a late shift in the period. Malkin made a couple nice moves in the offensive zone and created a couple decent chances but there was no late-period magic like there was in the first period.
    - Through two periods, Niskanen still leads all Pens defensemen with 16:20 [3+ on the PP], and Malkin leads all Pens forwards w/ 13:01 and 3:09 on the man-advantage. Pens outshot the Wings 12-5 in the period w/ game totals standing at 18-13 advantage Penguins.

EDIT:

Does the forum always add weird symbols when text is transferred from MS Word?
    Last edited by mounD; December 13, 2011 at 8:34 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 12/13/11 vs. Detroit Red Wings [Period 3] Recap and Game Notes/ Three Stars:

-Malkin with a great chance early in the period off the rush. Almost a carbon copy of his first period goal, the puck got through Howard and hit the post. For the second time tonight, Malkin got the puck through the goalie, but either hit the post or had the puck trickle through the blue paint… 6 SOG so far for Malkin through two periods.

-Franzen scored a quick powerplay goal [on what I believed to be a HIGHLY questionable call on Matt Niskanen] at 5:15 of the 3rd period to take a 2-1 lead; ties James Neal with most PPG in the NHL [9]. Another point for Datsyuk drawn on the only Assist. Congrats to those of you who bought low on this guy, he’s really been hot lately [as expected].

-Another penalty drawn by James Neal [sort of] on a holding call, and the Penguins went to the powerplay with 14:03 left in the period. Pretty decent puck movement during the PP, and James Neal had a quality chance off a rebound, but no success there, Penguins 0-3 on the PP to this point. The Penguins are just 1-35 on the PP in their last 10 home games against DET.

-Filppula with a breakaway w/ around 12 minutes left in the game, right at the end of the Penguins powerplay. Fleury with an amazing standing save to keep this one close. Big-time goaltender making a big-time save.

-With around 9minutes left, Malkin had ANOTHER chance coming down the wing off the rush, and was again denied by Jimmy Howard. He again went for the blocker side, and unlike the first period, he was shut down by the Wings netminder. Big-time goalies making big-time saves. Malkin now with 8 SOG to this point.

-The Wings have played a much better period here in the 3rd and dramatically cut the shot advantage. With 7 minutes left, the Pens advantage was only 22-20; additionally, the Wings have been much better on special teams. Franzen’s Powerplay goal has so far been the difference in this game.

- BIG PP opportunity for the Pens with 7 min. left in the game… Neal with a sneaky shot from the corner. Not too much trouble for Howard. Jason Williams missing the net AGAIN… Some decent opportunities, but too many missed shots. Penguins 0-4 on the PP.

-Dan Cleary scores on beautiful pass from ex=Penguin Chris Connor on a 3on2 opportunity right after the Powerplay ends, and the Wings take a 3-1 lead with a little more than 4.5 minutes left in regulation. Big time deflating goal, but the Penguins don’t understand the meaning of “quit.”

-Fleury to the bench with 1:17 remaining in the game and call TO to plan some late-game heroics. Malkin with a bomb from the blueline, Howard answers the call. Cleary able to score the EN goal, and the Wings close it out 4-1.

Three Stars:

1. Jimmy Howard [stopped 23-24 saves, recorded league-leading 18th win]
    2. Pavel Datsyul [recorded a Goal and Assist int he Wings victory]
    3. Evgeni Malkin [recorded 9 SOG, scored his 11th goal of season]

Game Notes:

-Jimmy Howard had a great game tonight. Stopping 23-24 Penguins shots on the night, he made his two biggest saves of the night on Evgeni Malkin. During the third period, with Malkin streaking down the wing, Howard stood tall preserving a 2-1 lead at the time.

-Malkin also had a really good game tonight, and with all the injuries in the lineup, he will be relied on similarly to tonight. Geno scored his 11th goal of the season tonight, had 9 SOG, and was on the ice for 22:29 [nearly 7 minutes on the PP]. Malkin will need more nights like tonight if the Penguins want to be successful this year.

-The Penguins played a solid game tonight in pretty much all aspects; however, their special teams left something to be desired and in my eyes, that’s where the game was decided. The Penguins gave up a Powerplay goal to Franzen, and after their last powerplay ended gave up an odd-man rush which translated into the Wings 3rd goal. Ultimately, the Penguins special teams [especially the PP] needs to be better; without Crosby, it’s going to be an uphill battle in that department.

Fun Facts and Figures:

-Craig Adams played his 700th career NHL game tonight.

-Howard [17] and MAF [15] were 1 and 2, respectively, in Goaltender Wins entering tonight’s tilt.

-MAF continues to search for his 200th career Win. Next up, Ottawa on Friday.

-Franzen tied James Neal for most Powerplay Goals tonight; both have 9 PPG on the season.

-The Wings are 16-0 when they score 3 or more goals this season.

We'll see you Friday night in Ottawa for another Pittsburgh Penguins hockey night...

-mounD