Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 33 34 35 36 37 38

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins

I bet we’ve seen the best of Karlsson. And Dubas only managed to get $1.5M returned by the sharks?! Sounds like “we can and we will” happening in Pittsburgh now.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    As a Pens fan, I have not supported the continued rebuild at the expense of the future. However, I do think the biggest barrier to postseason success has been an abysmal bottom 6 and poor or injured goaltending.

So in addition to Karlsson, Dubas improved the bottom six with Acciari, Eller, Nieto, etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if the Pens do some damage for another year or two.

The odds are against them at their ages but they have 3 first ballot and 1 close HOFer on their roster now with some gas in the tank.
    Never understand this thinking. The post Crosby/Malkin era Pens are going to be bad for a long time. Starting a weak effort rebuild a few years earlier isn’t going to change that. Plus Crosby is not Kane/Toews. Near impossible for the Penguins to be really bad as long as Crosby is at this level. Going all in for maybe another run is absolutely the right call, even if it doesn’t have a high probability of a cup.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Never understand this thinking. The post Crosby/Malkin era Pens are going to be bad for a long time. Starting a weak effort rebuild a few years earlier isn’t going to change that. Plus Crosby is not Kane/Toews. Near impossible for the Penguins to be really bad as long as Crosby is at this level. Going all in for maybe another run is absolutely the right call, even if it doesn’t have a high probability of a cup.
    I mean, I'm happy that they're at least all in on whatever direction they go with (in this case, a win-now direction) and I'm optimistic, based on Dubas' moves, that they're giving themselves improved chances to execute this direction as best as possible.

My dissatisfaction is that I think the Pens could have been more competitive this year or the inevitable rebuild could be more successful if the Pens had not misread their competitiveness between 2019 and 2023 and mismanaged assets accordingly (and I'm not even talking about Malkin, Crosby, Letang which I think they've done just fine). I'm talking expansion decisions (McCann, Tanev, etc.), poor signings/trades (Johnson, Carter, Gudbranson, Granlund, Petry, etc.), holding assets beyond their sell-high date (Dumoulin, Rust, etc).

The Crosby/Malkin era will be sooo long (20ish years) that I think it could have been possible to commit to a soft rebuild in years 14-16 in order to give Crosby/Malkin a better chance to win in years 17-19. And possibly set Pittsburgh up for a less painful recovery once they retire.

I'm rooting for them to win now since that's what they've committed to but the last 4 years haven't instilled a lot of confidence.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Administrator

Some promising Guentzel news:

Josh Yohe
    @JoshYohe_PGH
    ·
    Sep 21
    Pretty encouraging that Guentzel is already skating. Sullivan seems pleased with his progress.

Josh Yohe
    @JoshYohe_PGH
    ·
    Sep 21
    Sullivan says it’s a fair assessment that Guentzel will miss approximately the first five games of the season. Were that the case, he would be due to return around Oct. 24 against Dallas, give or take a few days.

Considering what we experienced with Marchand and McAvoy returning way earlier it might be worthwhile simply treating this like Guentzel is in for his normal season.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Monster

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Icon

Haha that was great!

My 8 year old is so stoked to watch Crosby play in person tonight!
    Without me, it's only "aweso".