Thread: 11/11/11 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default 11/11/11 - Studs & Duds

Make a wish! Mine was for my fantasy teams to suck less. Anyways here are your studs and duds!

STUDS

3) Not-so-sloppy second chance - Sean Avery has been given new life yet again in the NHL and he is intent on making the most of it. On Wednesday it was defending the words of his head coach when he dropped the gloves against Zenon Konopka. Tonight it was all about offense. Avery scored the opening goal of the game against the Hurricanes on a nice move on the breakaway, and managed to draw two penalties in just over 10 minutes of ice time. Well played Sean.

2) Jimmy Howard - For a guy that doesn’t get a whole lot of respect, he sure does have some sparkling statistics in his resume so far this season. Howard recorded his third shutout of the season tonight against the Oilers tying him with league leaders Pekka Rinne and Jonathan Quick. Howard improves his record to 7-3-1 on the season with a save percentage above .930 and a goals against average of under 1.8.

1) Welcome back Roy9ner! - Fantasy GMs that remained patient through Lindy Ruff's early season line shuffles and nagging injuries have been absolutely spoiled this week by Derek Roy. Since the start of November, Roy has received at least 20 minutes of ice time in all of the Sabres' five games played, and has eight points in that span (4G 4A). He has re-established himself as an integral part of the team and is being used in all situations, which was not the case in October. Just like that Roy is back on pace for at least 65 points this season, and owners are hoping that this is only the start of what is to come.

Honourable Mentions

32 to 37 - Three goaltenders posted up spectacular 30+ save performances while only allowing one goal. Great performances tonight from Tomas Vokoun (32/33), Henrik Lundqvist (34/35), and Jhonas Enroth (36/37). It's funny how those numbers worked out.

Jonas Hiller - Solid bounce back game for Hiller who desperately needed one. Hiller made 38 saves on 41 shots, and held the fort during the third period as he was barraged by 22 shots by the Vancouver Canucks.

Patrick looked sharp - Registering three assists in just over 17 minutes of ice time. Patrick Sharp continues to score sporadically but fantasy GMs will take them any way they can get them. Sharp now has 15 points (5G 10A) and 59 SOG in 17 games.

DUDS

3) Captains - Very disappointing nights from Jarome Iginla and Zach Parise as both went pointless and minus-three on the night. Hockey fans and fantasy GMs alike are waiting for both of these players to hit the next gear as Derek Roy has. Iginla now has eight points and is a minus-seven in 15GP, and Parise also sits at eight points and is minus-four in 13GP.

2) Mr. Anderson - The bad turned to ugly tonight as Craig Anderson was pulled from the Senators' net two and a half minutes after puck drop. This was the second time so far this season that Anderson has been given the hook, and now becomes his fifth consecutive loss after winning five straight to end October. What was most surprising to me at least, was that Anderson was on such a short leash, considering the alternative is Alex Auld (who also got lit up for three goals on 15 shots).

1) Hurricane Warning - The Carolina Hurricanes lost their fourth straight game tonight (eight of their last 10), and allowed five goals against for the third time during the skid. Tonight was embarrassing as they allowed four goals in the last 10 minutes of the hockey game. Going into this season it was widely acknowledged that the 'Canes backend was too loaded with offensive defensemen and did not have enough guys that could actually defend, and it's starting to show. The Hurricanes sit at 27th in the league in goals against (3.38) and shots against (32.8) per game. Problem is the team doesn't seem to remember how to score goals either. Sophomore Jeff Skinner is driving the bus, leading the team with 14 points in 16 GP. Beyond that you have Chad LaRose with nine (16GP) and Jussi Jokinen with nine (12GP). Where is Eric Staal? Way down the list with five points in 16 games and a team worst minus-16. Something has got to give.

Dis-honourable Mentions

Roberto Luongo - All the blame can’t be laid at his feet, as what seemed to be a questionable hit by Aaron Rome led to a five minute powerplay for the Ducks. Luongo (15/19) really did not receive much in the way of support tonight but fantasy GM's are definitely getting tired of seeing those kind of numbers out of one of their stud goalies.

Dallas Stars - I was not impressed with the game that the Dallas Stars put together tonight. The Stars only managed to get a total of 20 shots on goal tonight, and only 11 in the first two periods. All three of the Penguins goals tonight were a result of some form of penalty to the Stars (Two powerplay goals for Neal and a penalty shot goal for Cooke). A better overall team effort was needed tonight as Kari Lehtonen did everything he could to keep his team in the game.

The Oilers - For being the only team to get blanked tonight.

Quick Hits

Adam Larsson – Congratulations to the rookie who scored his first NHL goal tonight, the first of many in his young career.

Jannik Hansen - A good night for the Dane as he lit the lamp twice, his first multi-goal game since October 25th 2008.

Daniel Alfredsson - Welcome back to the Senators' captain who played in his first game since being concussed by the controversial Wojtek Wolski hit on October 29th. Alfredsson recorded four shots on goal in 19:36 of ice time.

Eric Tangradi - Scary moment in the Penguins game as Eric Tangradi was socked in the head in front of the net by Sheldon Souray, and left to go to the dressing room soon after. For those of you that don't remember Tangradi was concussed after a dirty hit from Trevor Gillies during last year's most memorable game of the season (February 11). Good to see him return later to finish the game.

Corey Perry - Great stat-line from the elite power forward tonight as he registered one powerplay goal, nine penalty minutes, and five shots on goal.
    Last edited by bondon; November 12, 2011 at 4:06 AM.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Master

Can Eric Staal just get a permanent spot on the Duds, even when he doesn't play that night?

It would obviously save time!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I know....man he's been brutal. I tried acquiring him a couple of days ago for Derek Roy but the manager was stubborn.. Thinking about offering it again.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Just keep offering, there's nothing stubborn in that

Actually, Roy for Staal seems like a close call to me - 2 points in the last 14 games seems like a trend to me. Even his 2009-10 wasn't this bad.