Thread: Gutsy deal done

I...am your father.

Default Gutsy deal done

I traded Simon Gagne and a 4th round pick (keeper league - points only - every summer there are four rounds of drafting)
    FOR
    Zac Dalpe and a 2nd

Reasoning - I have a ton of depth. Points carry over in trades so this move pushed Nathan Horton onto my pro team and ended up costing me two points. Dalpe was my preseason Calder pick and although it looks as though he'll struggle to get even 20 points this year, the talent is still there. Meanwhile, I'm afraid of another Gagne injury. I get a great prospect, a decent pick. Pretty even deal, but I was in a position to make it. Hell, I have Matt Read, Crosby, Horton (at the time), Enstrom, Marchand all on my farm team. Without the depth I don't do the deal. Without Dalpe's crappy start (which was due to injury and minimal ice time - not his own fault), my partner would not have done the deal.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Updated my signature to reflect the new team. Also yesterday traded Roy, Byron, 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Pavelski, Kulikov, White, Peverley, 4th.
    He had incentive to do this deal because the 1st that I gave him was his own and he wants to tank and rebuild.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Guru

I don't think the Gagne deal is a bad one. I just question whether or not you could've gotten more (or more later).

I'm in a similar league -- set up based on your recommendations somewhere on this site -- and I think Gagne would've gotten more in return. He's going to be a top 12 skater for most competitive teams in your league (even if he does miss a handful of games due to injury). I can't help but think you could've gotten either a better prospect or a better pick.

You had the depth to afford this deal. I just wonder if someone with less depth would've given more to get him. I'm not sure you maximized your strength enough.

Always easier to say when not doing the one dealing though. Maybe I'm off-base. I hope it works well for you!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

I...am your father.

No, I agree with you Stone. Completely. I just coveted Dalpe probably too much. I have my weaknesses!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thumbs up, both trades.

Gagne is an injury risk - I bailed on him in my keeper last year. I think he's done.
    40-50pt player going forward.

Pavelski is the real deal. Kulikov looks great as well. I have both on my same keeper where I bailed on Gagne. Peverley is a great piece and I think he'll maintain solid points for years & years... just a smart player, not Pavelski smart, but like a poor-mans-Pavelski.

I'd prefer to be able to rag on your trades, but these are both very, very, nice.

Administrator

Gagne is a gust of wind away from missing half a season. Your idea of bringing in horton is a good one - I think he outscores Gagne moving forward. And the 2nd is a good coup for later.

This shows why you're 2% better than a coin flip...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Star

I bet it's tough for you to make deals in your league. Everyone thinks
    you must have the advantage.

I...am your father.

It's very tough, which explains my minimal winnings the last three years when I was winning hand over fist for 15 years prior to that.

But this year is going great. Finally getting the bounces. Still in range of first place in three of my four leagues and I'm clearly rebuilding in the other one (and that's even going well).

BTW - second place so far in the DobberHockey expert's league. Behind, gulp, the guy I told you I feared. Lord of the Rinks. He won the Entry. Then he won the Pro. And now he's winning the Expert.