I figured the Wales has one so we should as well. We had 13 teams this year, not sure why the difference between this and the other Pro League, but no biggie.
My only hockey pool this year since I basically took a break from hockey pools for a bit after suffering a couple bitterly horrific years and not having fun.
Went into this pool with the intent of just enjoying myself.
Prep included.... nothing. No lists, no guides, no Guru tools, no pre-ranking etc. I showed up and drafted guys based on "feel". I suspect it will utterly fail, but we'll see.
Was drafting in the Glenn Anderson's 9 spot
1) Ryan Miller: Needed a goalie. He's a good one.
2) Brad Richards: He's a center but a good one. Just a hunch that he'll perform well this year. Lots of "hunches" in this draft for me.
3) Corey Crawford: Needed another goalie. He's also a good one. Lots of starts between my 2 goalies and I should have a top 3 tandem this year I figure.
4) Patrick Marleau: It was time to get at least one decent LW.
5) Joe Thornton: Another C? Yeah, I mean I remember when Thornton was a top 10 pick in these leagues. This seems like good value regardless of position.
6) Alexander Edler: Defense were starting to get picked through so it was time to grab a stud - hopefully I did that.
7) Steve Downie: Last season I noted that a lot of winning teams had Downie on it. I am hoping he can be my multicat lucky charm. My first RW
8) Ryan Clowe: LWs are going like crazy and Clowe gives some groovy peripherals.
9) Brent Burns: I am liking the Sharks this year as usual. Another "hunch" pick and he gives more PIMy goodness.
10) Patric Hornqvist: Another solid multicat winger on the RW
11) RJ Umberger: Meh...needed a LW and Umberger is a classic "solid" pick
12) David Perron: LWers were going nonstop and this finishes off the slot with a guy I think could really bounce back with some good across the board stats.
13) Brian Campbell: Good value for a guy who should have a big role.
14) Jakub Voracek: Not a fan of this pick, but needed another RWer.
15) Shawn Horcoff: Yuck. He better produce early or I'll be in some trouble.
16) Victor Hedman: Hunch pick. PIM + expecting an upswing in points this year.
17) Dan Girardi: Defense were FLYING off the board every round. Girardi is...okay - hoping for a decent amount of ice time from him.
18) Jiri Hudler: I really expect a much improved season from him and he fills out my RW nicely.
19) Ryan Ellis: Swing for the fences. Big bust potential, but could be a nice surpise as well. Was my 6D.
20) Sam Gagner: Barf. I suspect he'll be off my roster within 2 weeks. Not a fan of my C position after the massive drop off after the top 2.
21) Anthony Stewart: Drafting for the bench now and Stewart's role in Carolina this year could be surprising. If he doesn't pan out .. oh well.
22) Nik Antropov: Insurance for my weak bottom Cs. Who knows.
23) Tom Gilbert: Hold and watch. Won't start him at all if he produces at his usual -2 per game pace.
24) Antero Niittyymmaakkii - Why not. Niemi gets hit by an asteroid and I might get some wins.
25) Wojtek Wolski - LOVE this pick. Could get primo icetime with the Rangers and really be excellent value at this point.
C: B Richards, Thornton, Horcoff, Gagner, Antropov
LW: Marleau, Clowe, Umberger, Perron, Wolski
RW: Downie, Hornqvist, Voracek, Hudler, A. Stewart
D: Edler, Burns, Campbell, Hedman, Girardi, Ellis, Gilbert
G: Miller, Crawford, Niittymaki
Conclusion: Zero idea how I'll do.