I'm Lupul on my Clitsome. Here are my thoughts:
1. (3) Steven Stamkos*- What can I say, I'm a fan of guys that can put up 50-50-100 with lots of PPP. Goals are the toughest thing to acquire later in this league.
2. (24) Sidney Crosby*- I would have taken him much earlier than this. My draft plan to take goalies back to back in rounds 2 and 3 is now out the window.
3. (29) Cam Ward*- Luckily Ward is still available. Not a great GAA, but reasonable wins and lots of saves. It would be nice to see the GAA drop this year, but I'm not holding my breath.
4. (50) Dustin Byfuglien*- Quit calling my #1 D fat. Even if his points regress, he gets more PIM than any other top D and shoots the puck a lot.
5. (55) Marian Gaborik*- Needed a RW, and it was him or Heatley. Like I said above, you can acquire other stats later in the draft/season but not Goals. I was burned by Gaborik last year. It can't happen two years in a row right? Right? The silence is scary.
6. (76) Kari Lehtonen*- Figured I didn't have enough injury risks with Crosby and Gaborik. Goalies go fast in this league, and the pickins were thin. Very thin. At this point I decided I needed a solid 3rd goalie as well.
7. (81) David Backes*- Needed a winger. Needed some grit. Last year's amazing plus/minus won't be repeated, but getting close to last year's numbers makes him a steal here. He'll be close to last year's numbers right? Right? Argh.
8. (102) Michael Cammalleri*- Back on the injury/upside/goals train. Man the wingers get thin fast in a 13 team league with position requirements. Nice to wait 8 rounds for my first ex-flame.
9. (107) Niklas Backstrom*- Wanted Roloson as my third goalie but he went right before me. This allows me to play matchups and not cry when Kari gets injured and Dallas sucks. It feels like I should have placed more weight on Dallas sucking a few rounds earlier.
10. (128) Niklas Kronwall*- I like his potential with Rafalski out of town. He plays with an edge, and being in Detroit helps the plus/minus. In hindsight, the number of injury risks has now reached an alarming state.
11. (133) Brooks Laich*- Need a winger. Wanted on on a team with a great plus/minus. Books also shoots the puck a lot. I'm always hoping he'll take his game to the next level but am not holding my breath.
12. (154) Brandon Dubinsky*- Love the grit. Like the potential upside if he plays with Gaborik/Richards. Wing eligibility would be a nice bonus.
13. (159) Kevin Shattenkirk*- Time for the guys with warts. This wart will get points, but won't help in the PIM category.
14. (180) Joni Pitkanen - Yuck - D is getting thin. Still getting guys that will get powerplay time. This wart is going to hurt my plus minus.
15. (185) Kevin Bieksa*- He'll be better than last year. He needs to be given this ranking. Luckily he still takes dumb penalties and will luckily be on the ice lots with the team that helps plus minus more than anyone else in the league.
16. (206) Ville Leino - Not sure I even remember what I was thinking. Let's just say I must be hammered by this point in the draft. Hopefully he is solid. From here on out, hopefully they produce. If not, they will be waived.
17. (211) Steve Ott*- Needed some PIM. Desperation move though.
18. (232) Danny Cleary*- Old and injury prone.
19. (237) Clarke MacArthur*- Hate the leafs. Instead of booze, I'm going to claim that I let my 3 year old make a few picks for me.
20. (258) Andrej Meszaros*- Once again, if you aren't getting a guy that is on the powerplay, he needs to be getting you PIM or be awesome at plus/minus. I expect Philly to continue to be good 5 on 5.
21. (263) Andy Greene*- He was better the second half of last year. That's lucky because his first half was horrible. Like - you shouldn't be in the league horrible. Yep - Cheechoo horrible.
22. (284) Cal Clutterbuck*- I like grit with potential to put the puck in the net. Plus - come on, it's the 284th pick in the draft. What do you expect?
23. (289) Valtteri Filppula - It looks like I'm hoping Detroit players play well.
24. (310) Sergei Kostitsyn*- Too much upside to be still on the board at 310.
25. (315) Joel Ward*- liked watching him in the playoffs. I was tired and wanted the draft to end.
I'm happy with the team, but need a few guys to stay healthy. I haven't punted almost any categories except possibly GAA. Should be a fun league.
9 Team Points Only Keeper (Protect 10). Roster of 9F, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 6 Bench
F - Malkin, Kane, Gaborik, Kopitar, Perry, Hossa, Zetterberg, M. Koivu, Hemsky, Cammalleri, Filppula, Ennis, Fleischmann,
D - Phaneuf, Goligoski, Byfuglien, Robidas, Shattenkirk, Hedman
G - Miller, Halak, Pavelec