Thread: Price = 42 wins?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Price = 42 wins?

Currently reading the draft guide from cover to cover and notice Price is pegged for 42 wins and 8 SO. I realize that this is in large part due to the fact that he will get 70+ starts (this type of back up info is what makes the guide great), however, am wondering if others think this is likely or maybe a little high.

I realize he had an outstanding year last year but can he repeat that performance (I have no doubt he will do well, but .923 SV% and 2.35 GAA over 72 games is tough) and are the Habs a strong enough team to squeak out the wins needed to help him get there??

42 wins would clearly separate him from the crowd (him and Bryz are the only ones I see in the guide to pass the 40 win mark).

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's going to be tough. I do think he will put good numbers..but 42 wins?? I just don't see MTL being that strong. Although he did have 38 last year so an improvement of 4 games isn't that far fetched. It depends if you think MTL has upgraded enough to get those 4 wins. The loss of Hamrlik is a big one. His offensive game is gone but he brought a lot to the table as a reliable defenseman in MTL.

Call me a doubter but I want to see one more season like last out of Price.

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree Mr-susage - the fact that it has only been one strong year to go on is an additional factor that has me questioning the 42 win mark.

No questioning the talent but that does not make for a foregone conclusion.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think the additions of a healthy Josh Gorges and Markov, along with another year of experience for Subban far out-weighs the loss of Roman "im hurt, seriously guys im hur....o $h*t they scored" Hamrlik.

The skies the limit for Price.

ps. Even a diehard Price fan like me would be surprised by 42 wins, but it isnt out of the question.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Stud

As an owner, I hope so!!!

Realistically, I am projecting the same as last year but feel the dobber prediction is not way out there. The bottom line is he would most likely be the first goalie I would draft.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Genius

I expect Price to put up similar numbers to last year. He's a fantastic goalie, and MTL's got a great, defensively conscious coach. I don't think the team is strong enough for Price to garner 42 wins, though. Like I said, I expect something similar to last year's 38 wins, with great numbers across the board.

They've got Markov and Gorges back, but they also lost Wiz, who played well for them for half a season. Hopefully Markov and Gorges can put in a full season. If so, who knows? Maybe 40 wins is a good possibility.

Bottom line, Price is a top tier goalie now. There aren't many goalies out there that can play at that level for over 70 games.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well if he starts 70 + games is a Win-Loss record of 42-28 really that unimaginable? I don't think that projection is out of line - couple of seasons ago, several goalies had mid 40's in wins - no stretch at all.

Dobber Sports Sage

Not too mention his defence is much improved with a healthy Markov and Gorges in the lineup! Huge upgrade!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

seems a little bit high to me but certainly attainable...I think he'll post similar numbers to this previous season...somewhere in the 37-40 range I'd guess

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm predicting 24 wins for Price. 1.5 seasons of awesomeness is about all his super fans / groupies will be able to handle. Inevitable groin pull.

Dobber Sports Master

Well after last season, it's very clear that Carey Price is going to be relied on for almost the entire workload all season. Last year, the Habs got 96 points, with 44 wins. Price got 38 wins, and played all but 10 of the games. This year, let's say the Habs get 44 wins again, and Price plays 2 more games. To get 42 wins in 73/74 games is not impossible, and he could get there.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Well after last season, it's very clear that Carey Price is going to be relied on for almost the entire workload all season. Last year, the Habs got 96 points, with 44 wins. Price got 38 wins, and played all but 10 of the games. This year, let's say the Habs get 44 wins again, and Price plays 2 more games. To get 42 wins in 73/74 games is not impossible, and he could get there.
    I think its possible but I wouldn't bet on it. I'll say around the same amount of wins as he had last year.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Icon

If Price gets 42 wins, then expect exactly ZERO wins for Budaj.

I just don't see the Habs finishing with 42 wins TOTAL this year.

Price will be the only reason that Montreal sniffs at a playoff spot but will ultimately fall short. I would expect 35 Ws in around 70 games for Price with Budaj getting maybe 3 or 4 wins and Montreal finishing in the 9-10 spot in the East.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Currently reading the draft guide from cover to cover and notice Price is pegged for 42 wins and 8 SO. I realize that this is in large part due to the fact that he will get 70+ starts (this type of back up info is what makes the guide great), however, am wondering if others think this is likely or maybe a little high.
    Yes - too high.
    One of the poorer predictions in the guide, IMO.

Point #1:
    It is slowly getting around the league that goalies shouldn't be playing more than 70games.
    Teams playing their goalie 70+ games simply haven't done well in the playoffs.

Point #2:
    The East was weak last year. PIT was banged up. PHI had no goaltending. NJ didn't have Parise. WAS was in a funk. All those teams will be a step better. NYR & NYI are both stronger. BUF is going to be really strong. OTT & TOR even should be a tad stronger. FLA is re-tooled. Which teams in the East will actually be worse than last year??? Think about that. It is going to be a very tough conference for MON this year. Wins are going to be much, much, much harder to come by.

Point #3:
    Montreal lost two of their top four defensemen in Hamrlik & Wiz.
    Do we really expect them to be better overall?

35-40wins.

Dobber Sports Pro

great post ^
    I hadnt thought much about how improved the East is but you're completely right.

BUT I must go after the Hamrlik Wiz point again, everyone keeps bringing it up as a knock against Mtl but Gorges and Markov are significant upgrades(imo) over those 2; if they are healthy.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer