Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: David Rundblad - A little context

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This thread was about the numbers.
    I know. Even if the SEL is weak, it's still impressive for a 20 year to put up those numbers. He benefited from the 2nd most time-on-ice in the entire league though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm going to make this my last post in the thread... because otherwise it will get off-track.

I have no opinion on Rundblad.
    I haven't seen the guy play.
    I'm not making any predictions on him.
    From everything I've heard... I'm sure he'll be pretty good in the NHL.

The thread was a statistical comparison & I enjoy discussing the numbers with HPG.
    All of my points are based purely on numbers.
    That's all.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    This thread was about the numbers.
    Yes, and specifically, it was to point out that "Rundblad's accomplishment in the SEL last year was incredible."

Which it was, especially given his age.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev
    But as for the maing point of the thread, Rnudblad has less upside than Karlsson and Karlsson only had 10 points in 45 games in his final year in Sweden.
    Wait... the point of the thread was Rundblad's upside? I thought the point of the thread was to point out that Rundblad's stats in the SEL last year were pretty unprecedented. And I'd know -- I made the thread!

And I don't want to pick a fight Ev, but how do you know that Karlsson's upside is higher than Rundblad?

Pengwin, your point is totally fair... there are a lot of players who have great seasons in League X but don't translate it effectively to the NHL. But I go back to my age point -- if a player has earned enough opportunity at a young-for-a-league age to contribute significantly, there is something about that player that differentiates them from the rest of the player pool. When you're talkin' prospects, you're looking for something that differentiates them from the rest... and you often see that differentiation translate to better performance when they reach the NHL.

When I see a defenseman join a peer group of 14 forwards that played 8,420 NHL games (that's an average of 600 NHL games each and that's including the ones that never played in the NHL!), that's one hell of an accomplishment.
    Last edited by fantasyhockeygeek; July 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    And I don't want to pick a fight Ev, but how do you know that Karlsson's upside is higher than Rundblad?
    I'm talking just a numbers perspective, not overall play.

Obviously you can't say one way or another that Karlsson or Rundblad have the higher upside, it's too early for that. But from having seen both play (including seeing both live in person at the World Juniors in 09), Karlsson is the purer offensive d-man. He's a better skater and will probably be the better goal scorer.

Also this is a recent quote from Sens scout Pierre Dorion which indicates roughly the same thing:

"Erik is more dynamic, using his quickness and his explosion to skate the puck up," said Dorion. "David is more cerebral. A lot of things are done with his brain and hockey sense. David is more smooth and poised (with his) puck control, while Erik is just more fiery, more of a go-getter."
    Both seem close though.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Stats can be twisted to show/support anything. Rundblad's stats are without a doubt phenomenal and I have high expectations for him - however, he was given more opportunity than most d-men in the SEL have ever bene given at that age and played on a stacked team nonetheless.

Point is, as HPG pointed out earlier, he achieved something exceptional. However, anyone expecting him to be a 70 point d-man in the NHL or anything like that based on these stats just isn't looking at the whole picture.

Great writeup, great debate, and great analyses from a lot of guys here though.

Banned

HPG probably owns him in a couple of leagues and is looking to drive his price thru the roof

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'm talking just a numbers perspective, not overall play.

Obviously you can't say one way or another that Karlsson or Rundblad have the higher upside, it's too early for that. But from having seen both play (including seeing both live in person at the World Juniors in 09), Karlsson is the purer offensive d-man. He's a better skater and will probably be the better goal scorer.

Also this is a recent quote from Sens scout Pierre Dorion which indicates roughly the same thing:

Both seem close though.

One side benefit of this thread is the Erik Karlsson love, music to these ears!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Karlsson may be the more dynamic offensive talent, but that by no means translates into production. You've got to earn your icetime to post elite numbers, and from what I've seen of Karlsson - he's an offensive dynamo - but has a lot of work to do before he's trusted with 24:00+ of ice time every night. If Rundblad comes in and is close to as productive - but much better in his own end - Karlsson could turn into a PP spe******t in a hurry.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Master

Quite clearly, no one sees the situation as well as I do. No one needs to tell me that Rundblad will do well, just look at his skating mechanics. I hadn't given it much thought, but in the last 17 seconds I have completely assessed his skill set, skating mechanics and DNA structure. This player will be a good one. I dont give a flying **** if you guys believe me or not. I'm the smartest person on these forums. DET asked me to be a NHL scout for them a couple years back, but I had no interest in that. I'm a lion, not a scout....

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    Quite clearly, no one sees the situation as well as I do. No one needs to tell me that Rundblad will do well, just look at his skating mechanics. I hadn't given it much thought, but in the last 17 seconds I have completely assessed his skill set, skating mechanics and DNA structure. This player will be a good one. I dont give a flying **** if you guys believe me or not. I'm the smartest person on these forums. DET asked me to be a NHL scout for them a couple years back, but I had no interest in that. I'm a lion, not a scout....
    bahahahahahahahahaha ..... love it

Banned

You forgot to note that you have no interest in male-male friendships and don't care what the rest of us think

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Karlsson may be the more dynamic offensive talent, but that by no means translates into production. You've got to earn your icetime to post elite numbers, and from what I've seen of Karlsson - he's an offensive dynamo - but has a lot of work to do before he's trusted with 24:00+ of ice time every night. If Rundblad comes in and is close to as productive - but much better in his own end - Karlsson could turn into a PP spe******t in a hurry.
    Karlsson literally averaged 23 minutes TOI/G last season...he was playing upwards of 30 minutes a night in February and in March (which was his best month in terms of points as well). He earned his ice time and then some and he's not nearly as bad as his +/- would indicate. He's no MA Bergeron.

Rundblad IS probably a bit better defensively but they are still similar, and perfectly capable in their own end.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Karlsson's skillset means he has 65 pt upside. Rundblad's is 60 pt upside. Takes me 5 minutes of watching footage to analyze that, don't know why you guys can't do it.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Karlsson's skillset means he has 65 pt upside. Rundblad's is 60 pt upside. Takes me 5 minutes of watching footage to analyze that, don't know why you guys can't do it.
    Yeah, Karlsson's offensive flair is off the charts. IMO he's the most exciting offensive defenseman outside of Mike Green (Big Buff is fun too). If Rundblad compares to him at the NHL level he will be something else.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka