Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: David Rundblad - A little context

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Damnit HPG... as if this guy isn't hard enough to acquire as is.
    I know right lol. The hype on Rundblad is off the charts right now. Good luck landing him right now. Reminds me of Jamie McBain last year - the hype was outlandish. Rundblad hype might be even more crazy.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by praba
    i thought the sens missed out on tarasenko...but now im wondering what on earth the blues were thinking trading this kid.
    To be fair to both the Blues and the Sens, when the trade was executed Rundblad hadn't done anything remarkable statistically... the Sens just happened to trade for a rocket just as it was about to take off.

Sorry about the hype guys... but this kid did something jaw-dropping and I don't see many jaws on the floor.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I know right lol. The hype on Rundblad is off the charts right now. Good luck landing him right now. Reminds me of Jamie McBain last year - the hype was outlandish. Rundblad hype might be even more crazy.
    yeah the hype train is off the tracks once again, best thing you can do if you cannot acquire him at this point is to wait a couple years while he struggles in the NHL for his owner to sour on him and then scoop him up cheap before he breaks out

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    To be fair to both the Blues and the Sens, when the trade was executed Rundblad hadn't done anything remarkable statistically... the Sens just happened to trade for a rocket just as it was about to take off.

Sorry about the hype guys... but this kid did something jaw-dropping and I don't see many jaws on the floor.
    My Rundblad thread that I started in September only got up to 3 pages lol.

Statistics aren't a big deal for Swedish d-mne, though.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Awesome collection of stats, HPG.

I feel bad playing a little Devil's Advocate on your 2K day - but there are a few points that should be taken into consideration.

1. How strong is the SEL?
    *I'm sure there was a certain period when the best Swedish players all played in the SEL. 1980? 1990? 2000? Where was the drop-off? How many of the best Swedish players were playing in the SEL vs. NHL in any given season? These days, I have to assume that the best Swedish talent is playing in the NHL. This would make the league watered-down in comparison to previous (earlier) SEL seasons.

For example,
    5th highest scorer in the SEL this year was Byron Ritchie.
    Yes... 58pts in 324 NHL games played Byron Ritchie.

2. Teammates help?
    Kevin Stevens sure racked up a lot of points playing with Jagr & Lemieux. Off of that line, how many points did he rack up?
    The top two scorers from the SEL this year were also from Skelleftea. I would expect to see a lot of PPP if I dug into Rundblad's stats. True?

Statistics are a great method of comparison... but we have to remember that everybody that leads the QMJHL in scoring isn't going to turn out to be Sidney Crosby.

REP for you stats digging though - great job!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Awesome collection of stats, HPG.

I feel bad playing a little Devil's Advocate on your 2K day - but there are a few points that should be taken into consideration.

1. How strong is the SEL?
    *I'm sure there was a certain period when the best Swedish players all played in the SEL. 1980? 1990? 2000? Where was the drop-off? How many of the best Swedish players were playing in the SEL vs. NHL in any given season? These days, I have to assume that the best Swedish talent is playing in the NHL. This would make the league watered-down in comparison to previous (earlier) SEL seasons.

For example,
    5th highest scorer in the SEL this year was Byron Ritchie.
    Yes... 58pts in 324 NHL games played Byron Ritchie.

2. Teammates help?
    Kevin Stevens sure racked up a lot of points playing with Jagr & Lemieux. Off of that line, how many points did he rack up?
    The top two scorers from the SEL this year were also from Skelleftea. I would expect to see a lot of PPP if I dug into Rundblad's stats. True?

Statistics are a great method of comparison... but we have to remember that everybody that leads the QMJHL in scoring isn't going to turn out to be Sidney Crosby.

REP for you stats digging though - great job!
    If I know Paul, he'll appreciate those comments and he'll probably even agree with them.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Star

Heh, I'm predictable. Challenging discussions is the best way to make them more interesting...

How strong is the SEL? I haven't (and won't... too much work!) do the year-by-year comparisons and league equivalency, but you will notice that the players on the top under-20 scoring list span a number of decades:

70's - 4 data points
    80's - 6 data points
    90's - 4 data points
    00's - 4 data points

The best players from the Sweden have consistently been coming over to the NHL for quite some time though.

Regarding teammates help - yup, that's got to be a huge part of it, and I suspect you'd see a big chunk of Rundblad's stats came on the PP. Skelleftea led the league in PP scoring, so that would certainly make sense. Clearly Rundblad benefited from that, but that does not change the accomplishment: I've made no inferences about what Rundblad's production means for his NHL career -- I'm just pointing out the "rareness" of his accomplishment. Surely something about Rundblad made it possible for him to achieve what he did... . No doubt he had opportunity. He certainly made the most of it!

And your point about every QMJHL point leader is fair... however age is the lens that often lets you clearly see what accomplishments are significant and which are not. There aren't too many prospects who have put up huge stats in any league at an age that is "young" for the league (teens or early 20's in a men's league, 16-17 in a junior league, 18-19 in the NCAA, etc) that haven't continued to differentiate themselves later in their careers.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    There aren't too many prospects who have put up huge stats in any league at an age that is "young" for the league (teens or early 20's in a men's league, 16-17 in a junior league, 18-19 in the NCAA, etc) that haven't continued to differentiate themselves later in their careers.
    I sort of agree... but Byron Ritchie's stats put things in contrast for me. When Byron Ritchie is in the league's top 10 in scoring (and top scorer of his own team) - well, the league just isn't that good.

That is - unless you want to make an argument for Byron Ritchie actually being a pretty solid candidate for an NHL spot?!

Banned

I sort of agree... but Byron Ritchie's stats put things in contrast for me. When Byron Ritchie is in the league's top 10 in scoring (and top leader of his own team) - well, the league just isn't that good.
    It's a defensive league. Swedish players are taught d first and foremost, so when you get a guy who was probably all offense as he was developing, and with the bigger ice, he can do well.

Banned

But as for the maing point of the thread, Rnudblad has less upside than Karlsson and Karlsson only had 10 points in 45 games in his final year in Sweden.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It doesn't matter what "type" of league the SEL is.
    The benchmarks that can compare the NHL to the SEL exist.

Example,
    In 2007-2008 Jan Hlavac scored 35pts in 80 NHL games.
    In 2009-2010 Jan Hlavac scored 51pts in 38 SEL games.*

*This would put Hlavac on a pace to score 107pts in 80 SEL games.

80 Games:
    Hlavac = 35pts in the NHL
    Hlavac = 107pts in the SEL

I don't think a comparison like this can be ignored.
    The talent difference between leagues is immense.

Banned

Yeah, that's why you have to actually watch the players who are putting up the points. At the end of the day, throw stats outthe window and watch the player...that's how you scout and analyze talent.

Like I said, stats don't really matter for Swedish prospects. Rundblad would be the same player if he put up 20 points this past season.

Obviously Rundblad is more skilled and a legit NHL talent than Hlavac or Ritchie.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yeah, that's why you have to actually watch the players who are putting up the points. At the end of the day, throw stats outthe window and watch the player...that's how you scout and analyze talent.
    This thread was about the numbers.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Don't forget about Douglas "The Killer" Murray. He doesn't score much, but damn, he's a beast.
    Yeah but he's already 31. the rest of these guys are in their early or mid 20s. Same with the Canadian list I put together.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Guru

It doesn't matter what "type" of league the SEL is.
    The benchmarks that can compare the NHL to the SEL exist.

Example,
    In 2007-2008 Jan Hlavac scored 35pts in 80 NHL games.
    In 2009-2010 Jan Hlavac scored 51pts in 38 SEL games.*

*This would put Hlavac on a pace to score 107pts in 80 SEL games.

80 Games:
    Hlavac = 35pts in the NHL
    Hlavac = 107pts in the SEL

I don't think a comparison like this can be ignored.
    The talent difference between leagues is immense.
    You make some good points Pengwin, however you cant make a direct comparison becasue im sure Hlavac's ice time/PP time and opportunity was drastically different in the NHL and SEL. There are probably good reasons for that but nevertheless the it is something that should be taken into account.