Page 50 of 105 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 60 100 ... LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg Jets

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Any news on Wheeler's pre-season injury? Is he good to go tonight for the opener?

Dobber Sports Star

Over at this link: http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...l-rosters.html

It says that Wheeler is on the opening day roster and that Clitsome is the only injured player... but I'm still waiting to see if I can find something better than this piece of information.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Any news on Wheeler's pre-season injury? Is he good to go tonight for the opener?
    Pretty sure he'll play. I haven't heard otherwise, and even when he had the injury, Noel jokingly described it as a 'full body' injury, which sounds an awful lot like regular bumps and bruises.

I hope the D parings are solid with Clitsome out. I'm a little worried about Postma and Pardy playing together, if that comes to pass.

I'd love to see Scheifele play on that second line. I think tonight's game would be a great time to try that, as Edmonton doesn't have a deep, big, experienced center lineup.

Dobber Sports Star

Chris Nichols tweeted the following lines:
    Ladd-little-wheeler
    Kane-scheifele-setoguchi
    Wright-jokinen-frolik

Don't know how much faith to put into that for tonight tho.
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Stud

It's accurate and as I expected. Scheifele looks good thus far. That 2nd line is getting some chemistry. The Postma-Stuart pairing looks pretty awful after 1.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow! I'll have a full review tomorrow, but wow! The future looks bright. Very bright! It wasn't a perfect game, but the young guns played tremendous, especially Trouba who lead the team in ice time with over 25 minutes. He was out there in all situations including a 6-on-4 for the Oilers at the end. He read a play and jumped a Taylor Hall pass, walked into the off zone and scored a rocket of a slap shot. First star of the game goes to Trouba. Others did well, I'll have a full review tomorrow.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Icon

Trouba and Scheifele both looked great...and Dobber's going to be all over the 2 goals by Frolik
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Genius

Team defense was shaky, but man, Trouba and Scheifele look fantastic!!

Think Trouba has Noel's trust? Wow.

Banned

Impresssive debut for Trouba and good game from Scheifele. I don't care what people say, I think he has Getzlaf potential minus the PIMs

Dobber Sports Ninja

The Jets have a nice set of blueliners, but they seem to really struggle playing defense as a whole team. Part of that could be because it is early in the year and teams are still getting used to their systems etc, but I'd be hard pressed to see this team do much damage this year if they keep playing like they did last night. They are going to have to win lots of games 5-4 this year to have a chance.

That being said, there are some really exciting young guys on the roster and they are a fun team to watch!

Dobber Sports Stud

Game 1 Recap: Winnipeg 5 Oilers 4

Fantastic start to the season. Was it pretty? No, but a win is a win. And the Jets will take it. A come-from-behind road win to start the year off. The Jets showed some promising things.

For the first time in a long time, I feel we have proper depth. All three lines are capable of scoring goals. Even on the power play, we have two legit units. When he top line takes a night off, the Jets have the secondary scoring to fill in. There's a lot of high-power weapons on this season. Consistency is the concern. If they remain consistent, the Jets can make the playoffs.

We have a future. Trouba and Scheifele... yup. Both played superb hockey. Both of these players are going to be studs in this league. We have a future!

Player Notes and Observations

Ladd / Little / Wheeler - The top line seems to always start off slow each season. They had some good shifts last night, but didn't make much noise. Little did score a goal. There is no concern here though. They'll take off soon. Plus, it feels good having secondary scoring getting it done when the top line can't.

Kane / Scheifele / Setoguchi - This was the best forward line last night. Kane and Scheifele look brilliant on a line together. It's only a matter of time before Seto hits his stride and meshes in with them. But boy, I think the Jets found their center in Scheifele. I know it's only one game, but he showed a lot of upside. He's got the tools of a playmaker, but he has a nice shot and demonstrated by sniping Dubnyk on the power play.

Frolik / Jokinen / Wright - I like this line minus Wright. Actually, I'm not even sure how Wright is in the NHL. He's bad. He doesn't do anything productive even defensively. Frolik looked really, really good in his debut scoring two goals. One of them was off the best pass I've ever seen Tangradi make. Yeah, you know where this is going. Tangradi should replace Wright on the third line.

Tangradi / Slater / Thorburn - You know what you're getting from this fourth line. My only problem is that Wright should be on it and not Tangradi. Actually, I also have a problem with Thorburn. He's not the fighter he once was. I'd rather see Peluso out there on that line.

Enstrom / Byfuglien - Both made their presence know. Byfuglien was a beast. It was probably one of very few games where I didn't notice him out of position. He was destroying people with the body constantly. He also cleared the crease and saved a goal on one occasion. When he uses his body to his advantage, he becomes a very good defensively. I hope we get this Byfuglien 90% of the season.

Bogosian / Trouba - This pairing has a shot to be lethal. What more can I say about Trouba? He was dominant in his first career game. I don't think I've ever seen a player progress as much as Trouba has since the time he was drafted. He has a feisty side to his game, he can play in any situation, and he has offensive mindset like Weber and Byfuglien. What we all predicted is coming to life. It's only one game, but again, the upside is through the roof.

Postma / Stuart - Meh, this pairing was awful. And from what advanced statistics told me, it has a large part to do with Stuart. His zone entry is pretty bad. I have a feeling Pardy will see his way into the lineup on Friday.

Pavelec - He started off slow and gave up some bad goals. You could tell he was fighting it. But as the game progressed so did Pavy. He made a game-saving save late in the third. He made some other key saves along the line. And really, a lot of the Oilers' goals were unfortunate deflections and bad defense by the Jets. I think Pavelec will be much better at home this year.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; October 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Genius

Great recap, ASF.

I completely agree with you about Wright. I don't know why Noel has such trust in him. He gets fed incredible scoring opportunities from his linemates time after time, including some beauties from Scheifele in the pre-season, and he botches every single one of them. At best he's a serviceable penalty killer, and he belongs on the fourth line.

One thing I'd like to note is that Scheifele seems to taking some brutal head shots. I thought Smid's hit from behind (along with the entirely unnecessary additional ramming of his head into the boards) was utterly tasteless. Scheifele took a very nasty elbow to the head in pre-season, too. It's good that he seems to be pretty resilient, but no one can take shots like that for long. I would like to see the Jets jump on anyone who goes after our young stars. I hesitate to call it a trend already, but I'm a bit concerned.

Dobber Sports Genius

Sounds like Tangradi has been promoted to the third line with Frolik and O.Jokinen! Great move. I really hope that these top three lines stick.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    The Jets have a nice set of blueliners, but they seem to really struggle playing defense as a whole team. Part of that could be because it is early in the year and teams are still getting used to their systems etc, but I'd be hard pressed to see this team do much damage this year if they keep playing like they did last night. They are going to have to win lots of games 5-4 this year to have a chance.

That being said, there are some really exciting young guys on the roster and they are a fun team to watch!
    there was a really great post at jetsnation by Kevin ... uhh, Mcsomething.. anyway he was looking at the Oilers and Jets defensive schemes. it was long and brain intensive but at one point he points out how Byfuglien every now and then starts wandering all over the place.

combine that with Trouba's inexperience, and Postma and Enstrom being not exactly walls... yeah Pavs may have an interesting year.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ultrawhiteness View Post
    there was a really great post at jetsnation by Kevin ... uhh, Mcsomething.. anyway he was looking at the Oilers and Jets defensive schemes. it was long and brain intensive but at one point he points out how Byfuglien every now and then starts wandering all over the place.

combine that with Trouba's inexperience, and Postma and Enstrom being not exactly walls... yeah Pavs may have an interesting year.
    This is all true. The only consolation is that they should be at least somewhat better this year. I'd take a green Trouba over Hainsey, and I would take Scheifele and Frolik over Wellwood and Miettinen any day. Add to that a bit of growth for a very young team, and that should add up to a stronger overall (and yes, even defensive) game.

They're still going to be frustrating in the defensive zone, I'm sure, but it should get better, and hopefully Pavs will show a bit more consistency and growth, too.