Thread: Markstrom?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Markstrom?

What's to make of this guy?

Immense prospect, but really put up mediocre numbers in the A last year. Is he getting ANY substansial time next year in FLA? What's everyone seeing in their crystal ball with this guy?

Here's my dilemma.

I'm a really weak team. I was brought on board in my keeper league last year. To be expected, I sucked, because I was an expansion team.

This year, they brought on ANOTHER 3 expansion teams. This REALLY hurts me. Goalies are at a premium, as always.

I figure with my 1st pick I'll be able to snag Dubnyk. (Im a pretty big fan of his). This gives me Dubnyk, Ward and Kiprusoff.

With a latter pick - do I A)Snag Markstrom or B)trade away MORE picks to acquire Schneider?

I think they are comparable talents. Or at least I thought they were, prior to looking at JM's stats.

If Vokoun goes, is it a 50/50 split with JM and The Clemmer?

Thanks All.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Wizard

You should direct this question to Justin Goldman (School of Block!) since he's the expert. But if you followed Markstrom closely enough, he had a bad start and he played much better after it. So when you look at his stats for the whole year, they don't tell the whole truth.

I think Florida should keep Markstrom in the AHL for one more season. I don't like rushing young goalies since we've seen how that can turn out.

I think you should just go with Markstrom unless Schneider is traded to a great team. How many goalies do you start? Ward, Kiprusoff, Dubnyk and Markstrom sounds like a solid group if you ask me.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would get Markstrom. 2nd 1/2 of the year was quite good especially on a crappy Rochester squad.

Once he completely figures it out, watch out. Compare his 1st year in the AHL with Jonathan Berniers.

Rochester will still suck next year for the most part, but expect better #'s from Markstrom regardless of the team they ice in front of him.

He will get some decent NHL time next year (IMO) and don't be surprised if Vokoun is signed by FLA just so they have a decent asset to trade during the year.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Markstrom is practically the unanimous choice for best goalie prospect in the world. Sure goalies can be hard to predict, but with so many people that high on him, I feel it's a safe bet he'll be a solid starter in the NHL eventually.

Like the others mentioned, if you take out the first two months of his season, his numbers are actually very good....sv% .925 or above for every remaining month except one I think.

Save your picks, take Markstrom.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Master

instead of using the first pick on Dubnyk I'd use it on Markstrom.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    instead of using the first pick on Dubnyk I'd use it on Markstrom.
    Agreed. Get Markstrom before it's too late.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Sorokin....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th

The Magnificent One

yeah i was confused why you wouldnt use the first pick on markstrom? i mean maybe you have a better offense option. with ward and kipper as your goalies you arent too bad off. kipper can be great trade bait to a competing team if you are not one now. would love to get more info on your league and see if a goalie is the best option for you.

BUT to answer your question about markstrom look for him to be in the AHL for another season with limited time in the nhl next season. here is a great markstrom read that i just found:

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2011/5/...acob-markstrom
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Markstrom is practically the unanimous choice for best goalie prospect in the world. Sure goalies can be hard to predict, but with so many people that high on him, I feel it's a safe bet he'll be a solid starter in the NHL eventually.
    Best goalie prospect not currently in the NHL I suppose. I agree he's a phenomenal prospect but the fact is he still plays for Florida and still needs a least another year in the AHL likely.