Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - May 30

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - May 30

Here you go! Please remember that I only answer questions left on Monday. So if you post it after midnight, or Tuesday morning, I'll have to gracefully decline answering it =P.

Today's school of block is a full-blown assessment of Jacob DeSerre's fantasy future. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

He pretty much wrote that story himself. What a game. Poor Flyers.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thoughts on Lawson, Desjardin and Fasth? Do they have the ability to become a starter in the NHL? What is holding them back at the moment? (more exp? opportunity?)
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Long time ago I've draft Trevor Cann and Tyson Sexsmith. What happen with those two and is still possibilities to see them in the NHL one day ?

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey Justin, thanks for doing this... I've got a couple of questions for the team in my sig.

1) Is Bernier a keeper for me and what can I expect next year? Quick is a really good goalie so I'm fearful of a back-up role for at least 2 years.

2) Is Rask tradeable? I can probably move him for quite a bit but should I? Will he takeover for a bounced back Thomas soon? This leads to my last question...

3) Should I do anything in my power to acquire Thomas? He's available for draft but will go high. I have the 1st overall which I'll use on Byfuglien. Should I take Thomas instead or make a move for the 2nd overall? I can't stomach moving the world or wasting a high pick on a 37 yr old goalie that I hate!

thanks again!
    11 team Keeper League (14 out of 30) Salary cap of 90.72 million$, actual salary.
    Cats...Pts (1G, 1A), +/- and PIMs divided by 10

C.. Malkin Getzlaf Stepan Kadri
    RW.. Kessel Marchand Brunner Silfverberg
    LW.. Parise Vanek Jagr C.Wilson
    D.. Shattenkirk Karlsson Yandle Visnovsky Rielly R.Murray
    G..Rask, Schneider

Bench (paid)... Johansen, Kassian, Belov, Josi, Lehner, Paajarvi
    Unsigned... Campbell, Pouliot, Gustaffson, Frolik

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by joos View Post
    Thoughts on Lawson, Desjardin and Fasth? Do they have the ability to become a starter in the NHL? What is holding them back at the moment? (more exp? opportunity?)
    Lawson is nothing more than a 3rd goalie on some teams, a movable backup on others. He is not legit starter. Desjardins is definitely capable of being a starter, just needds the opportunity. He is an UFA on July 1, but so is Smith and Roloson.

Fasth just needs to sign somewhere. He could be an NHL starter in as little as one season. Just depends on where he signs. As it is with most capable prospects, it's all about getting opportunity!

At Fasth's age, he is probably most likely to be a starter first, then Desjardins.

Dobber Sports Monster

Help me have faith or get faith in owning Varlmalov long term. Something to hang my hat on so to speak...

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Raccer View Post
    Long time ago I've draft Trevor Cann and Tyson Sexsmith. What happen with those two and is still possibilities to see them in the NHL one day ?
    Trevor Cann is an average prospect in Colorado's system. This season was spent mainly in the Central Hockey League with Tulsa, plus a few short stints in the AHL with Lake Erie. The Central Hockey League is not where he needs to be right now in order to develop into a quality NHL goalie. But that's Colorado for you. If anything, right now I see him becoming another Peter Budaj. Nothing more than an NHL backup.

Tyson Sexsmith is kind of in a similar situation with the Sharks. Just stuck in a deep system and spent the year mainly in the ECHL. But that's better than the CHL. Sexsmith is more talented than Cann in my opinion, but I don't see much NHL upside for Sexy yet either. San Jose is much more talented in goal than Colorado, making it even tougher for Sexsmith to crack an NHL roster.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Team in sig. I have Hiller and Price as my two main starters but my questions lean more to my farm team.

Enroth i see as a backup next year but when do you see Bachman, Lack and Allen getting backup duties in the NHL.

Goalies are huge in our league. Can you give me an asssesment of my goalie situation for the next 3 years out. Should i look to improve my farm and depth for the future or are they good enough to stay patient?
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Giant

Hey Justin,

Anything good to say about Weiman and Pielmeier? They are both sitting behing Halak, Montoya and Allen in the league in my signature and unless you make me change my mind won't make the 25 players cut off.

Thanks in advance!

Dobber Sports Icon

jayz already asked about Rask, but I would like to see a little expansion on that. What do you think the split will be in the coming year and next 2-3?
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by jayz16 View Post
    Hey Justin, thanks for doing this... I've got a couple of questions for the team in my sig.

1) Is Bernier a keeper for me and what can I expect next year? Quick is a really good goalie so I'm fearful of a back-up role for at least 2 years.

2) Is Rask tradeable? I can probably move him for quite a bit but should I? Will he takeover for a bounced back Thomas soon? This leads to my last question...

3) Should I do anything in my power to acquire Thomas? He's available for draft but will go high. I have the 1st overall which I'll use on Byfuglien. Should I take Thomas instead or make a move for the 2nd overall? I can't stomach moving the world or wasting a high pick on a 37 yr old goalie that I hate!

thanks again!
    1. Bernier is a keeper. He's one of the top prospects and backups in the league, essentially neck and neck with Schneider. You can expect him to play more games next year and post better stats, as he will be much more comfortable and confident coming off the bench. Because of this, the door is open for him to steal starts. It comes down to how well Quick is able to perform, and how consistently he does it. The ball is in Quick's court ... Bernier doesn't play more unless Quick opens that door. I would be fearful of Bernier being a backup for one more year ... but not two.

2. Is Rask tradeable? Absolutely, but that depends on how willing you are to move him. I'd never trade Rask in a keeper league, unless I was absolutely stacked in goal. And since you have just Vokoun and Bernier, I wouldn't say you are "stacked" although you have a great trifecta. Similar to what I said with Quick and Bernier, Rask doesn't play unless Thomas opens the door. But Rask will play more consistently next year and post another high save percentage. He was deceivingly very good this year, just gave up some rough goals early. His whole season took a negative turn in that first game of the season in Europe. I wouldn't trade Rask, but you have to examine the potential return. I don't see him taking over Thomas next year, but I do see him posting a better GAA. Same as Bernier - more experience, better results, more opportunity. Be patient and reap the rewards in 2 years.

3. When a goalie at Thomas' age has the kind of statistical output he had this season, it is EXTREMELY difficult for them to repeat that kind of success the following season. I wouldn't go "balls to the wall" to get Thomas. If you can't stomach drafting Thomas because you hate him, then trust your gut and look elsewhere. Vokoun is a good goalie, especially if he's traded to a legit playoff team.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Shakedown View Post
    Help me have faith or get faith in owning Varlmalov long term. Something to hang my hat on so to speak...
    I am being dead honest when I say I just can't do this. I have said from the very beginning, over two years ago, that Neuvirth was the goalie to own when it came to Caps goalies. I hear too many rumors right now that Varlamov could get big-money offers from KHL teams.

This sort of thing happens when a goalie that becomes "injury prone" still has legitimate talent and upside. And since Neuvirth is already signed, Holtby is on the rise and Varly is an RFA, the writing is on the wall. There's simply not a lot of promise for him to stay in Washington.

And even if he did re-sign there, I still like Neuvirth to play more games next season.

Varlamov is a terrific talent and an extremely fast, fierce and competitive goaltender. But unless something unforseeable happens (like he's flipped to Colorado, which would be awesome but way shocking), I don't harvest much hope for him heading into next season.

Maybe the best thing for him would be to head back to Russia, continue to evolve, then sign on with another NHL team as an UFA in a year or two. It's not a bad move to make. I guess that's something to hang your hat on. As long as you don't mind it collecting dust for a while.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As a Colorado fan I'd love to hear your take on the Avs goaltending situation.

Are they going after some big name free agent this offseason? Any chance of seeing Schneider or Bernier in the Avs uniform next season? Are they just riding it out with Elliot and whoever they replace Budaj with?

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by TheRook View Post
    Team in sig. I have Hiller and Price as my two main starters but my questions lean more to my farm team.

Enroth i see as a backup next year but when do you see Bachman, Lack and Allen getting backup duties in the NHL.

Goalies are huge in our league. Can you give me an asssesment of my goalie situation for the next 3 years out. Should i look to improve my farm and depth for the future or are they good enough to stay patient?
    Bachman will spend one more year in the AHL since Raycroft is signed through next season. I am 90% sure Raycroft's deal is still two-way, so you will probably see Bachman play ~2-3 games for the Stars at some point. They always find a way to do this. Next summer, the Stars will have to decide on whether or not they should graduate Bachman to full-time backup. BE AWARE OF TYLER BESKOROWANY. He's a much bigger goalie who had an outstanding pro rookie season. If Besko starts to steal the show for the Texas Stars, he could leap over Bachman. Size matters. Odds of this happening are very small because I know the Stars really like Bachman, but I'm just saying to keep an eye on that situation. So two years for Bachman.

Lack is basically Vancouver's next backup. When Schneider gets traded or moved, Lack will be Luongo's next backup. This could happen over the summer (less likely) or around the 2012 trade deadline (more likely to happen in my opinion). But he will definitely start next season in Manitoba. So I will say one more year for Lack. But Schneider is keeping the backup role warmed up for Lack.

Allen still a few years out, but he's a legit backup for the Blues when that happens. Lack will earn an NHL gig before Bachman, who will most likely earn a gig before Allen. But all 3 are already legit potential NHL backups.

I definitely think your goalie farm is going to be very productive in the future. I would stay patient. If anything, look at what's available and try to snag a BIG goalie with legit potential. Someone 6-4 or taller. The rate of 6-0 and 6-1 goalies turning into fantasy studs is slowly dropping. There's more 6-3 and taller goalies getting more opportunities.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    1. Bernier is a keeper. He's one of the top prospects and backups in the league, essentially neck and neck with Schneider. You can expect him to play more games next year and post better stats, as he will be much more comfortable and confident coming off the bench. Because of this, the door is open for him to steal starts. It comes down to how well Quick is able to perform, and how consistently he does it. The ball is in Quick's court ... Bernier doesn't play more unless Quick opens that door. I would be fearful of Bernier being a backup for one more year ... but not two.

2. Is Rask tradeable? Absolutely, but that depends on how willing you are to move him. I'd never trade Rask in a keeper league, unless I was absolutely stacked in goal. And since you have just Vokoun and Bernier, I wouldn't say you are "stacked" although you have a great trifecta. Similar to what I said with Quick and Bernier, Rask doesn't play unless Thomas opens the door. But Rask will play more consistently next year and post another high save percentage. He was deceivingly very good this year, just gave up some rough goals early. His whole season took a negative turn in that first game of the season in Europe. I wouldn't trade Rask, but you have to examine the potential return. I don't see him taking over Thomas next year, but I do see him posting a better GAA. Same as Bernier - more experience, better results, more opportunity. Be patient and reap the rewards in 2 years.

3. When a goalie at Thomas' age has the kind of statistical output he had this season, it is EXTREMELY difficult for them to repeat that kind of success the following season. I wouldn't go "balls to the wall" to get Thomas. If you can't stomach drafting Thomas because you hate him, then trust your gut and look elsewhere. Vokoun is a good goalie, especially if he's traded to a legit playoff team.
    Thanks a lot Justin! Much appreciated and very helpful...
    11 team Keeper League (14 out of 30) Salary cap of 90.72 million$, actual salary.
    Cats...Pts (1G, 1A), +/- and PIMs divided by 10

C.. Malkin Getzlaf Stepan Kadri
    RW.. Kessel Marchand Brunner Silfverberg
    LW.. Parise Vanek Jagr C.Wilson
    D.. Shattenkirk Karlsson Yandle Visnovsky Rielly R.Murray
    G..Rask, Schneider

Bench (paid)... Johansen, Kassian, Belov, Josi, Lehner, Paajarvi
    Unsigned... Campbell, Pouliot, Gustaffson, Frolik