Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - May 23

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface View Post
    How would you rank these players upside over the longterm given skill + mental toughness...

Bernier, Schneider, S. Mason, Eddie Lack

I'm especially curious to hear your thoughts on Mason as he has 3 45+ starts seasons under his belt at age 23.......thanks
    I think Schneider finishes first in both categories due to his age, experience in AHL, work behind Luongo, and his overall body language and demeanor. Solid all around. Works hard. Learning from one of the best goalies and goalie coaches in the league.

I would put Bernier just ahead of Lack due to experience, workload in the juniors, overall skill upside and the fact he's had a full season of battling out the mental aspects of having to be a backup. He struggled with it a little more than Schneider and wasn't as consistent, something that I reflected in my Top-100 Rankings when CS was #1 and JB was #2.

Lack comes third. He's on the attack. Get him while you can, yadda yadda yadda. What an insane rookie season in North America. He can get so much quicker and so much better. That quiet, poised, Swedish style. Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Lack right now and for the long term.

That leaves Mason as fourth. Just not mentally tough. Some guys learn it quicker than others. He obviously is taking some time. That being said, how he prepares over the summer and how he enters training camp will make a major difference in his projected fantasy value. It is also very important on who the Blue Jackets hire as a new goalie coach. Rook couldn't handle it, he got the hell out of dodge. That says alot about how tough it might be to get Mason to understand what it takes to mentally prepare.

It's kinda sad. Mason is such a gifted athlete, but if you don't have the fortitude between the ears, it's not easy to apply in the NHL.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I am pretty sure Roloson stays in Tampa Bay. There's not a lot of goalies like him. He is the perfect Yzerman mold and he makes a terrific mentor for a guy like Desjardins. Yes, he will be the starter.

Hiller. Eesh. I honestly have no idea. I mean everything depends on his concussion (let's get real, it's not vertigo). I think if he gets away from everything for a month, then puts the pads back on, he'll be fine. So I will say he will be 100% for training camp and have put himself in a position to have a solid season. He'll be back. He'll be fine.

Thanks Justin! Hiller, what a story, headed towards a Vezina nomination the way he was playing only to be sidetracked by this long-term injury. I honestly think if he had been playing and 100%, the Ducks would have beaten the Preds and might then have taken out the Canucks but that's all pure speculation obviously.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Stud

Another quick question-
    What is Phoenix going to do for goalies next season ???
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    hey thanxs for doing this. always love hearing about goalie insights.

Was wondering about 2 goalies right now:

1) Jonas Gustavsson - he was the leafs golden boy and they were super excited to be the ones to sign him. fast forward 2 seasons and he has just been OK. some great stuff but now he is the backup's backup and sitting on the bench or minors. what happens to him going forward? was he all hype or is the real deal?

2) Jack Campbell - i know he is young and just drafted but the talk last year was awesome stuff. the next best after the current prospect class (markstrom, bernier, rask), atleast that was my impression. What happens now that Dallas has lehtonen. do we see campbell at all in the next 2 - 3 seasons or are we talking buried and will need a trade to get him to be a starter soon? basically is he that good and whats the time table of his career?

thanxs again.

not sure if this got lost in the posts. i posted it right as you posted 2 repsonses. so just wanted to bump it. thanxs again.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

The Magnificent One

hey saw your tweet and yeah this question went unanswered. would love a response if you can. check post above or 3 above for original post of it.

thanxs again.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi