Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - May 23

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - May 23

Here you go guys! Look for today's School of Block, it's jam-packed with scouting notes and fantasy assessment for JP Anderson, Jordan Binnington and Nathan Lieuwen!

Binnington
    Anderson
    Lieuwen

is how I would rank them in regards to long-term fantasy value

Lieuwen is a wild card. I could see the Predators drafting him since his frame is a lot like Rinne and Lindbacks. Except he's Canadien. Cool.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Hey Justin, with the recent signings of Salak & Crawford, should I be looking to move CC for a more established tender? I worry about Salak stealing the job, especially in Chicago, who run their goalies like the Flyers.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Guru

Who makes a bigger impact next year? And long-term?

Montoya
    Dubnyk
    Bobrovsky
    Reimer
    Holtby

Thanks!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Banned

10-team keeper. Wins are 2 points, shutouts 3. We start2 goalies, the rest go to your farm.

I've got Ward, Niemi, and Reimer. You think I'm set for a while or should I be looking to add some prospects later on?

Thanks Goldman!

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks Justin.

30 team dynasty league. One point-Win, One point-Shutout

I have Roloson & Lindback. How many wins do you see Roloson getting assuming he re-signs in TB. Also does Lindback get more games this season or should I be looking to upgrade?
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Thanks Justin.

I have Roloson & Lindback. How many wins do you see Roloson getting assuming he re-signs in TB. Also does Lindback get more games this season or should I be looking to upgrade?

Related to the above:

- Where do you think Roloson signs, and will he be starter?
    - What are your thoughts on Hiller for next year?

Thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Sophomore

How would you rank these players upside over the longterm given skill + mental toughness...

Bernier, Schneider, S. Mason, Eddie Lack

I'm especially curious to hear your thoughts on Mason as he has 3 45+ starts seasons under his belt at age 23.......thanks
    Last edited by Pokerface; May 23, 2011 at 9:46 PM. Reason: ...

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Hey Justin, with the recent signings of Salak & Crawford, should I be looking to move CC for a more established tender? I worry about Salak stealing the job, especially in Chicago, who run their goalies like the Flyers.
    Hmmm...no, I think one of the things we're seeing with the Crawford signing is that he's now established as a starter. And Chicago is a pretty darn good team. If you worry about Salak stealing the job, that's one thing ... and it's definitely a "concern" if you are a Crawford owner. But at the same time, you have to pay attention to what's available. There are probably other goalies that are in a more comfortable situation, that are more reliable to stay as a starer, and on a slightly better offensive or defensive team.

You might want to double-check to make sure Salak actually becomes the backup. There's always the chance the Hawks sign a veteran UFA. Although my personal opinion is that too many signs, plus a high team salary, point to Salak being the backup.

It's not all Quenneville's fault. He's always been this way with his goalies. At some point, it has to come down to the goalies not giving him that chance to go haywire with his backups.

Turco never instilled confidence ... he plays too crazy of a style. Niemi was more like a solid rock, which calms Quenneville down. He likes those big goalies.

Salak is more like a Turco than a Niemi. Crawford is probably going to instill the type of confidence in Quenneville that keeps the leash long. A couple of bad games won't result in Salak getting huge opportunities right away .............. unless he keeps winning and Crawford keeps losing. Odds of that happening are there, but not high.

But yeah, there's probably a lot better options out there if you are worried about Salak...because he's really good skill-wise. REALLY good.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Who makes a bigger impact next year? And long-term?

Montoya
    Dubnyk
    Bobrovsky
    Reimer
    Holtby

Thanks!
    Damn this is a good question.

To be honest I just think Dubnyk has the best situation right now. Oilers are improving as a team, he improved by leaps and bounds this year, he's the biggest goalie on your list and he has more time spent in the NHL.

This is a really good question. There are lot of good points to be made for each goalie's situation, potential, long-term upside. I really like Holtby a lot long-term, but I don't think next season is going to be as good as what Dubnyk or possibly Reimer could do.

But then again Neuvirth will be a sophomore. GAH.

OK I still put my list like this:

1. Dubnyk 2. Holtby 3. Reimer 4. Montoya 5. Bobrovsky

Long-term would have Holtby in front of Dubnyk, Reimer right behind, then probably Montoya and Bobrovsky really close together.

I am not a fan of Bobrovsky's long-term value right now. I don't trust the Flyers to fix him over the summer and if he goes down to the AHL that could make things worse if he doesn't have great success. Kinda a volatile situation with him right now...especially if the Flyers sign a big-name goalie.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    10-team keeper. Wins are 2 points, shutouts 3. We start2 goalies, the rest go to your farm.

I've got Ward, Niemi, and Reimer. You think I'm set for a while or should I be looking to add some prospects later on?

Thanks Goldman!
    I'd say you are sitting pretty with Ward and Niemi, and you have a solid prospect that will hopefully shake the sophomore slump next year. You seem fine for the next 2 years at least.

Can't really say if you need to add some prospects because I don't know what's available, but anyone that has legit NHL upside in 1-2 more years might be good to have as a 4th goalie. If there's anyone on my Top-20 available, grab 'em while you can...although that might not be the case.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks! Always appreciate your insight!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I'd say you are sitting pretty with Ward and Niemi, and you have a solid prospect that will hopefully shake the sophomore slump next year. You seem fine for the next 2 years at least.

Can't really say if you need to add some prospects because I don't know what's available, but anyone that has legit NHL upside in 1-2 more years might be good to have as a 4th goalie. If there's anyone on my Top-20 available, grab 'em while you can...although that might not be the case.
    Thanks JG. The prospect draft hasn't begun yet, and the only guys taken out of your Top 20 are Lehner, Bernier, and Markstrom. So I'll look to add at least one prospect.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
    Thanks Justin.

If Roloson re-signs in Tampa Bay, you could expect around 30 wins, maybe a few more. To be honest, a lot of what his workload looks like could depend on his backup. With Smith impressing in three playoff games, the Lightning might give him another chance. I still stick to my guns that Desjardins is the next backup.

I don't expect Lindback to get more than 20 starts next season (he got 18 this season) because I expect Rinne to stay healthy throughout the whole year and be in a situation where they need him down the stretch to play a ton of games. Lindback will still post good stats and get a couple of shutouts though.

Depending on who else is available, I might look for an upgrade to get some more points. But Lindback is still going to have tremendous value in a dynasty league, you just have to be patient.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Related to the above:

- Where do you think Roloson signs, and will he be starter?
    - What are your thoughts on Hiller for next year?

Thanks!
    I am pretty sure Roloson stays in Tampa Bay. There's not a lot of goalies like him. He is the perfect Yzerman mold and he makes a terrific mentor for a guy like Desjardins. Yes, he will be the starter.

Hiller. Eesh. I honestly have no idea. I mean everything depends on his concussion (let's get real, it's not vertigo). I think if he gets away from everything for a month, then puts the pads back on, he'll be fine. So I will say he will be 100% for training camp and have put himself in a position to have a solid season. He'll be back. He'll be fine.

The Magnificent One

hey thanxs for doing this. always love hearing about goalie insights.

Was wondering about 2 goalies right now:

1) Jonas Gustavsson - he was the leafs golden boy and they were super excited to be the ones to sign him. fast forward 2 seasons and he has just been OK. some great stuff but now he is the backup's backup and sitting on the bench or minors. what happens to him going forward? was he all hype or is the real deal?

2) Jack Campbell - i know he is young and just drafted but the talk last year was awesome stuff. the next best after the current prospect class (markstrom, bernier, rask), atleast that was my impression. What happens now that Dallas has lehtonen. do we see campbell at all in the next 2 - 3 seasons or are we talking buried and will need a trade to get him to be a starter soon? basically is he that good and whats the time table of his career?

thanxs again.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi