Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado Avalanche

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdog View Post
    what are the av's gonna do about a goalie/goalies?

Do you think they make a pitch for bob/schneider/harding?

Vokoun maybe if Tallon doesn't sign him?
    Hey, sorry for not replying sooner it's been a busy time lately... All of your questions are answered now.

I am really happy with the Varly Giggy tandem in net. Having JSG to mentor Varlamov will help leaps and bounds. I think the key though is that the Avs need to hire a full time goalie coach. They have had Kirk McLean on a part time/consultant basis which just isn't enough, especially when you have a 23 year old coming in to take the reigns on the starting job.

Vokoun was never in the equation to my understanding. There was some interest from the Avs side but as soon as they learned Vokoun wanted to go to a contender or at least a playoff team for next season the Avs quickly switched gears.

Some of the other young goalies mentioned would have required roster players to get moved in a deal and the club did not want to weaken itself in another area for the upcoming season in order to shore up the goaltending. Either this deal pans out and the Avs improves, and it backfires and Sherman + Sacco lose their jobs. I think Sherman was feeling the pressure, if it works he looks great, however if it doesn't it was only a couple of picks that he probably won't be around for anyways.
    [color=#008000]24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    G|A|+/-|PIM|PPP|SOG|Hits|BS
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1
    C: Tavares, Duchene, JStaal, Marner, Grigorenko, Dubois, Barzal
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Pearson, Wilson, Pulkkinen, Bittner
    RW: PKane, Gaborik, Virtanen, Rantanen, Stewart, Sprong, Chiasson, Vey
    D: OEL, Barrie, Bogosian, Larsson, McNabb, Oduya, Bigras
    G: Bobrovsky, Korpisalo, Hutton, Hellberg

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    I think the key though is that the Avs need to hire a full time goalie coach. They have had Kirk McLean on a part time/consultant basis which just isn't enough, especially when you have a 23 year old coming in to take the reigns on the starting job.
    Couldn't agree more with this statement. Until the Avs (*cough* Kroenke *cough*) can pony up some money for a legit, full-time goalie coach I don't think Varly reaches his potential. Though I like the Giguere-as-a-mentor thing, Giguere is not a goalie coach, and cannot replace the advantages that a full time goalie coach would provide. Plus, all it takes is an injury to Varly and Giguere goes from "mentor" to starting goaltender...something in me says that in that situation his mentoring abilities might be compromised by his desire to get one more kick at the can, regardless of how realistic his chances are. As a die-hard Avs fan I'm really not terribly opposed to the Varly trade, but I'm going to be pissed if management thinks that the pieces will just fall into place and everything will settle nicely. A young goalie like Varly needs daily coaching and mentoring, as these are hugely crucial years in his development, and that won't be happening unless a full time goalie coach is hired--someone who knows Varly's game in and out, can help him adapt or change different elements of his style when needed, and most importantly, can help him with his mental game and injury prevention. Varly has a ton of raw talent, but it is still very raw indeed, and unless he is developed properly the Avs will lose out big on this trade and will go even longer without a solid #1 option in net.

Dobber Sports Icon

What are the chances of Mark Olver starting the season for the Avs? He finished last year playing on the top line with Duchesne and Hejduk and I am wondering if he could start the upcoming season with a return to it.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by pbhockey4 View Post
    Couldn't agree more with this statement. Until the Avs (*cough* Kroenke *cough*) can pony up some money for a legit, full-time goalie coach I don't think Varly reaches his potential. Though I like the Giguere-as-a-mentor thing, Giguere is not a goalie coach, and cannot replace the advantages that a full time goalie coach would provide. Plus, all it takes is an injury to Varly and Giguere goes from "mentor" to starting goaltender...something in me says that in that situation his mentoring abilities might be compromised by his desire to get one more kick at the can, regardless of how realistic his chances are. As a die-hard Avs fan I'm really not terribly opposed to the Varly trade, but I'm going to be pissed if management thinks that the pieces will just fall into place and everything will settle nicely. A young goalie like Varly needs daily coaching and mentoring, as these are hugely crucial years in his development, and that won't be happening unless a full time goalie coach is hired--someone who knows Varly's game in and out, can help him adapt or change different elements of his style when needed, and most importantly, can help him with his mental game and injury prevention. Varly has a ton of raw talent, but it is still very raw indeed, and unless he is developed properly the Avs will lose out big on this trade and will go even longer without a solid #1 option in net.
    This is bang on, I remember from Varly's Puck Daddy interview he is trying to get his goalie coach over from Russia that coached him for 4 years.

There is a reason most goalies don't really get there games together until their mid to late 20's. The ones that get their sooner, have the talent and the coaching to support them through daily NHL rigor.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    What are the chances of Mark Olver starting the season for the Avs? He finished last year playing on the top line with Duchesne and Hejduk and I am wondering if he could start the upcoming season with a return to it.
    With everyone returning healthy to the lineup Olver may find himself back in the AHL to start the year. If he does beat some guys out of camp it will be in a fourth line roll.

Projected lineup:

Mueller Stastny Jones
    Landeskog Duchene Hejduk
    Galiardi OReilly Kobasew
    Lindstrom McClement Winnik

Extras: McLoed, Yip, Porter...

Lindstrom could move up based on how his offensive breakout overseas transfers to the NHL, also Mueller could line up with Duchene as they showed good chemistry during his 15 game stint.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Prodigy

From browsing through the forums it seems that the majority of people have the Avs labeled as a bottom 5 team next year...maybe my Avs goggles are rather clouded, but I see them making a push for the the 7th or 8th playoff spot. It seems to me that many people are letting the Avs' second half struggles dictate their projections for the team next year, but the first half Avs were a borderline playoff team. With a revamped (albeit not extremely mobile) defense, some fresh blood in net, Lando and a healthy Mueller up front, I see this team playing a much more well-rounded game with and without the puck.

I saw the Avs play live against Detroit in late December, a game they lost 4-3 in OT. My first observation was that Matt Duchene was by far and away the most dominant player the entire game...absolutely electrifying watching him fly up and down the ice and making plays at both ends. It's too bad that Flash didn't work out because he and Duchene had incredible chemistry on a line together. The second thing I noticed was how absolutely awful the Avs defense was. They outshot the Wings 49-30 but the Avs dmen often got caught flat footed and were horrible in the corners (Liles, Hunwick, and Shattenkirk were getting absolutely handled down low). Detroit played a very steady game and eventually wore down the Avs defensemen and created some very quality scoring chances. That said, Budaj wasn't exactly a superstar in net, and when he needed to make a big save (or even just a timely save), he failed to deliver. He didn't receive much help from the defense in the second half of the game, but he didn't help the team by letting in a couple soft goals.

Anyway, the point of me recapping that game is that I remember very vividly thinking about how much better the Avs would be with a more physical and all-around better D-core, and a goalie who could actually be counted on to make timely saves and steal a game when necessary. The D problem is certainly being addressed (their D will be much bigger with the additions of Hedja and O'Brien), and a healthy Quincey will add a fair amount of stability on the blue line. Not an incredible defense to work with, but certainly much better than last year as long as Hunwick gets traded/scratched/anything other than playing. And with the additions of Varlamov and Giguere, the Avs have a potentially very solid goalie tandem. I really believe that a fresh start is exactly what Varly needs, and the fact that he has very little pressure on him yet wants to prove himself as a legitimate #1 goalie could bode very well for his confidence early on. And while Varly's injury issues are bit of a concern, he's still incredibly young--I think many people have already labeled him a perennial bad-aid boy without realizing that with some focus on off-ice strength training and flexibility, he could easily shed that status...after all, he's only 23 years old and still has a lot to fine tune in his game both physically and mentally. I'm not saying he'll be a superstar next year, but I wouldn't be surprised if he put up 30-32 wins. Some might be appalled at that projection, but Varly will be given every chance to shine as he is now the golden boy in Colorado. The lack of pressure to win immediately combined with a fresh start could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

In sum, I think a better blue-line, a potential game-changing goalie, some new grit and toughness (Hedja, Lando, and O'Brien if he plays), plus emerging young stars in Duchene, EJ, and hopefully healthy Mueller, and this Avs team is primed to make a run at one of the last playoff spots. Injuries have been devastating to the team in the past, and if they can stay relatively healthy, I think their season will be much, much better than many Dobberites are suggesting. Obviously I may be over-optimistic due to my Avs roots, but I think far too many people are writing off this extremely talented and albeit very young team.

Dobber Sports Star

Great write up, and I agree with you. So many people have the Avs giving away a top 5 pick to the Caps in the 2012 draft....it wont even be in the top ten. At one point in time in late November or early December last season the Avs were on top of the Northwest Division, right around when Stewart broke his hand. The defense has improved for the upcoming year and the offense... Well removing Stewart and Shatty and putting in EJ, Landy, and a healthy Mueller and I prefer the latter, it may not be a better group in terms of pure offense, but much improved defensive play, and less of a liability.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Here are some views from the first day of rookie camp from some fellas over at mile high hockey:
    http://www.milehighhockey.com/2011/9...on-rookie-camp
    http://www.milehighhockey.com/2011/9...-one#storyjump

Some quick summaries:

Landeskog stood out head and shoulders above the rest, not as flashy as Duchene in his first rookie camp, could use a little work on his shot, but certainly looks NHL ready as he didn't look out of place with any of the scrimmages with some of the vets after the rookie drills. He was the first one out on the ice.

Elliott has a nasty wrister if he ever pinches down to the top of the circles, seems to watch the puck a little too much on his stick.

Barrie, very slick skater, lots of confidence, looked good out there.

Siemens, looks small for his 205 lb weight, seems like he has lots of room to grow and fill out to become a physical beast. Hopefully he can carry over his fluid skating stride as he bulks up.

Lindstrom didn't do anything spectacular but was really good in making passes and setting up Galiardi in the scrimmages.

The guys were really impressed with Malone, could be a darkhorse to make the squad in a C.McLoed type of roll.

Hejduk and Duchene paired up and especially Hejduk made a bunch of rookies look like pylons repeatedly.

The articles above go into more depth.

Mueller will not take part in the vets scrimmages (optional), but will be doing the physicals and the testing on Friday before the main camp open up on Saturday.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Day 2 rookie camp notes:
    Rookies went for an hour again today and were joined by vets for another hour afterwards for some light scrimmages. 5 rookies skated for a 3rd hour after that (Landy, Elliott, Siemens, Malone, and Meurs).

Mueller made an appearance with the vets and is sporting a dark tinted visor. He says he feels good and can't wait to get the season started.

Siemens has put on 8 lbs since the draft this summer in trying to steal a roster spot. With the plethora of dmen, I just don't see it unless something amazing happens next week.

Landy and Malone are roommates, as both could potentially make the opening night roster.

Varlamov is back from Russia and was on the ice today. Mike Chambers from the Denver Post hopes to get an interview with Varly tomorrow.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

I just shipped Cam Barker and David Savard for Mueller and am pretty stoked!!

He is cleared for contact and everything, right? I assumed so but even if not still like this deal. Hoping to hit a homerun, and if he is healthy, I see no reason for him not to shine this year.

Am I a little overly excited, or can I expect a 60 point season, as long as his noggin holds up?

thanks - great work, don't get to see much Avs
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Star

Mueller is participating in contact drills first day of camp and from accounts I have read he is initiating the contact. Adrian Dater was also saying that Mueller underwent a new offseason workout program. He looks much stronger and has added muscle most noticeably around the neck area.

He's wearing his new helmet which is an altered motorcycle helmet technology that is being used for enhancing hockey helmets to help prevent head injuries. He is also going with a tinted visor for this season.

It's only day one but he already looks better this year than last year in camp. Last year he appeared timid and hesitant in worrying about another head injury whereas this time he looks 100%. His concussion is fully healed and he is not more injury prone to getting a concussion than anyone who does not have a concussion history.

If Mueller plays 72 games he will get 60 pts in his sleep.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by mapletreemarty View Post
    Mueller is participating in contact drills first day of camp and from accounts I have read he is initiating the contact. Adrian Dater was also saying that Mueller underwent a new offseason workout program. He looks much stronger and has added muscle most noticeably around the neck area.

He's wearing his new helmet which is an altered motorcycle helmet technology that is being used for enhancing hockey helmets to help prevent head injuries. He is also going with a tinted visor for this season.

It's only day one but he already looks better this year than last year in camp. Last year he appeared timid and hesitant in worrying about another head injury whereas this time he looks 100%. His concussion is fully healed and he is not more injury prone to getting a concussion than anyone who does not have a concussion history.

If Mueller plays 72 games he will get 60 pts in his sleep.
    Music to my ears, brother. What what I was hoping for. I lost Berglund in a deal today (Berglund/Cam Barker/David Savard - Mueller/Ian White/Wolski) and the key to the deal was hoping that Mueller was a good enough replacement for Bergy.

Think I made the right move!!

Thanks
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Genius

Sounds like Sacco likes what he saw from Gabe Landeskog. He'll make the team, but I hope it's not in a 3rd line role.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Sounds like Sacco likes what he saw from Gabe Landeskog. He'll make the team, but I hope it's not in a 3rd line role.
    Yeah Landy had a good first day, great presence around the net, and he got better as the day went on. They had him lined up with McClement and Porter for the scrimmages today.

Hejduk, Duchene and mueller were a line, while Stastny and Jones were with Lindstrom. Lindstrom impressed as well today, he's got a good heavy accurate shot and didn't shy away from the physical game. I see the final top 6 spot being a competition between Landy, Lindstrom, and Galiardi. Apparently some HF guys were there today and were raving about Lindstrom.

Galiardi looked like the player that was pestering the Sharks in the playoffs a couple years ago. Seems his confidence is back and he's bulled up, putting on close to 20 lbs of muscle. The best part was that despite adding as much size as the Avs have to their lineup, they aren't sacrificing any speed. Everyone looked fairly quick and sharp today.
    W|GAA|SV

Tier 1

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Regardless what line he plays on I wouldn't expect more than 35-40 pts this year.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford