Thread: Rank these goalies

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Rank these goalies

Currently drafting a full 25 man keeper league. I already have 2 goalies but I want to draft a 3rd goalie. Its getting pretty late in the draft but there are actually a few decent goalie options available. Please rank these guys.

-Reimer
    -Varlamov
    -Neuvirth
    -Dubnyk
    -Emery
    -Anderson
    -Roloson
    -Vokun
    -Pavalec
    -Mason (CBJ)

Categories are W, gaa, sv, sv%, so

Please rank the guys as opposed to picking one as there is a chance a few of them will be gone by my pick.

Dobber Sports Star

Vokoun

Pavelec
    Anderson

Varlamov
    Neuvirth
    Reimer
    Mason (CBJ)
    Dubnyk
    Roloson
    Emery

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    Vokoun

Pavelec
    Anderson

Varlamov
    Neuvirth
    Reimer
    Mason (CBJ)
    Dubnyk
    Roloson
    Emery

I like HPG's list but I would move Neuvirth ahead of Varlamov

Dobber Sports Star

They're pretty much a coin flip, but I'd agree with you Wendel. I'd hope that you're able to grab one of the top 3 tenders though... from your other post it seems like goaltending is rather important, and having 3 proven starters would be huge.

I'm floored that Vokoun is available. I guess people are worried that he won't find a home?

EDIT: how big is the league? From your other thread, two things jump out at me:

1. goaltending is 5/13 cats... no hope of winning this league without good goaltending.
    2. the draft has been forward-heavy... depending on the size of the league, it might be worth grabbing two goalies and holding the trade market to ransom until they realise how screwed they are. If it's a 10-team league I'd be all over this. If it's a 12-team league you'd be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by fantasyhockeygeek; April 12, 2011 at 1:04 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    They're pretty much a coin flip, but I'd agree with you Wendel. I'd hope that you're able to grab one of the top 3 tenders though... from your other post it seems like goaltending is rather important, and having 3 proven starters would be huge.

I'm floored that Vokoun is available. I guess people are worried that he won't find a home?

EDIT: how big is the league? From your other thread, two things jump out at me:

1. goaltending is 5/13 cats... no hope of winning this league without good goaltending.
    2. the draft has been forward-heavy... depending on the size of the league, it might be worth grabbing two goalies and holding the trade market to ransom until they realise how screwed they are. If it's a 10-team league I'd be all over this. If it's a 12-team league you'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Ya I agree with HPG ... again .... it could prove very fruitful to corner the goalie market ..... I believe Vokoun will be playing somewhere besides Miami next year, possibly a short jaunt to Tampa bay? ...... but he is a top tier goalie talent who has been stuck on a shitty team, if he gets dealt to a better team it could be the steal of your draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Great advice guys. Thanks. It is a 12 team league. I honestly didn't have Vokun ranked that high, but after you brought up some very good points, I may have to bump him up the rankings.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BC Oiler View Post
    Great advice guys. Thanks. It is a 12 team league. I honestly didn't have Vokun ranked that high, but after you brought up some very good points, I may have to bump him up the rankings.
    Grab Vokoun and then if Neuvrth is around a later grab him too, if he ends up being the number one guy in WSH next year (which I think he will, after all he is re-signed and Varly isnt) then you are laughing with four starters

Dobber Sports Star

Vokoun is an absolute monster in those scoring categories -- one of the best goalies in the entire league.

I'd honestly think that grabbing Vokoun + Pavelec or Anderson (they're guaranteed starters, and you don't want to take that risk) would pay huge dividends in a 12-team league... I mean, not every team can have 3 starters, you'd have 4 and goalies are 38% of your scoring!

If it's a roto league, there is some risk in falling behind if you go with this strategy, but I think it'll pay off. If it's H2H, you can hold the league to ransom and get some top forwards back later on.

Hell, if it's an H2H and it's not against the rules, I'd try and get more than 4 starters... this league is positively impossible to win without good goaltending, and if you can corner the market then you honestly should be able to garner yourself a serious return for each one you deal.
    Last edited by fantasyhockeygeek; April 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

[QUOTE]Hell, if it's an H2H and it's not against the rules, I'd try and get more than 4 starters... this league is positively impossible to win without good goaltending, and if you can corner the market then you honestly should be able to garner yourself a serious return for each one you deal.[Quote\]

Absolutely do this. I was getting frustrated in last year's draft that I was losing out on good skaters b/c other guys were completely ignoring goalies, so I just grabbed Hiller & Lehtonen late, and then picked up a free agent goalie the next morning to increase the scarcity (Thomas!) Turned into Ehrhoff & Eric Staal + draft pick upgrades, and is the #2 reason I won my pool. (getting Thomas was #1, of course)
    Last edited by Hey Robbie; April 12, 2011 at 3:48 PM.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Star

I'll add to that with one last thing, BC Oiler -- it's almost always a solid strategic move not to follow the crowd. If everyone else is ignoring goaltending, make them pay for that mistake. Through the nose.