Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - April 11

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - April 11

Well, the fantasy season is over ... but the goalie analysis never stops!!!!

Today's School of Block is a bit more "old school" --- it looks at two major forces shifting the paradigm of fantasy goaltending --- workload and depth. It's a good read that will give you a big advantage heading into the offseason.

Let 'er rip!

Dobber Sports Novice

Did you see any Crawford's faults or his mentality troubles in the last "must-win" game against Detroit? Do you wait sophomore slump for him? Howard-2? Mason-2?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'm in the midst of a major rebuild and my goaltending going forward has yet to present an heir-apparent. I gambled this year on Pascal Leclaire and it bombed. I also moved Montoya and Dubnyk as I wasn't convinced they're long term options. Who would you list as the top 3 of the goalies in my system (listed below) and what are their respective ceilings? Additionally, are there any that you see as lost causes that I should just release now?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.
    Mikko Koskinen, Alex Salak, Scott Stajcer, Kieran Millan, Olivier Roy, Brad Thiessen, Connor Knapp, Johan Gustafsson, JP Anderson, David Leggio

Dobber Sports Initiate

So how do you see Eddie Lack's future upside, and what type of jump will he make in your new Top 100 Prospects update?

Thanks Justin!

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by Sprya View Post
    Did you see any Crawford's faults or his mentality troubles in the last "must-win" game against Detroit? Do you wait sophomore slump for him? Howard-2? Mason-2?
    Yes, he was clearly tense, nervous and uncomfortable in that game. He was beat three times on the blocker side, and the other goal was one where 99% of the time he stays down and seals his pads to the ice ... but he recovered back to the skates and never sealed his right post.

It is definitely a concern moving forward into this series against Vancouver.

I think you will see a sophomore slump regardless of how he performs in the playoffs. It happens to every goalie in some way, shape or form. Only the truly elite goalies overcome it. I can't say how drastic he will be affected until next season begins and he starts playing games.

That was the biggest game of his life, and he didn't play very well at all.

Unfortunately nobody will know whether that was a result of quality pre-scouting by the Red Wings (going blocker side) or if he was simply off. And furthermore, we won't know if he was off due to a lack of confidence and poise, or whether he is tiring out. He has played a ton of games down the stretch for Chicago ... and Turco is beyond rusty. Could spell trouble if Crawford struggles to start the playoffs.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by big_dl View Post
    I'm in the midst of a major rebuild and my goaltending going forward has yet to present an heir-apparent. I gambled this year on Pascal Leclaire and it bombed. I also moved Montoya and Dubnyk as I wasn't convinced they're long term options. Who would you list as the top 3 of the goalies in my system (listed below) and what are their respective ceilings? Additionally, are there any that you see as lost causes that I should just release now?

Thanks for any insights you can provide.
    Mikko Koskinen, Alex Salak, Scott Stajcer, Kieran Millan, Olivier Roy, Brad Thiessen, Connor Knapp, Johan Gustafsson, JP Anderson, David Leggio
    SALAK - NHL starter, especially if he earns a role with the Blackhawks next year. Even if he doesn't he has NHL starter upside, but it will take more time for him to get there.

KOSKINEN - NHL starter, but not for a while. In a deep system on the Island, but his size and speed combo makes him a very legit prospect. Hang onto him, but be patient.

THIESSEN - NHL fringe starter, but backup in Pittsburgh first. Tough to steal Fleury's job, but one of the best AHL goalies is surprising a lot of people. I love his upside, he's super quick and very square to the shooter.

Lost Causes - Connor Knapp and Kieran Millan.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    SALAK - NHL starter, especially if he earns a role with the Blackhawks next year. Even if he doesn't he has NHL starter upside, but it will take more time for him to get there.

KOSKINEN - NHL starter, but not for a while. In a deep system on the Island, but his size and speed combo makes him a very legit prospect. Hang onto him, but be patient.

THIESSEN - NHL fringe starter, but backup in Pittsburgh first. Tough to steal Fleury's job, but one of the best AHL goalies is surprising a lot of people. I love his upside, he's super quick and very square to the shooter.

Lost Causes - Connor Knapp and Kieran Millan.
    Thanks for answering my question. Unfortunately, now I'm more worried about my future in net than ever before.

The King of Diatribes

Don't freak out!! You can find good prospects at any given moment. When do you draft and who might be available? New prospects come out of nowhere every year. You are never out of it if you know who is capable of being the next James Reimer!

Dobber Sports Pro

So this time last year I asked you who you thought was the best goalie in the league. This excluded fantasy and was just based on pure talent, mental and physical.

You surprised a few of us by answering Tuuka Rask, and we debated Rask vs Lundqvist vs Miller vs Ward etc...

So considering Rask's lack of workload, how would you answer that same question now?
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer