Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - April 4

  1. #1
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default Fantasy Mailbag - April 4

    Here you go boys!

  2. #2
    Location
    Fredericton, NB
    Rep Power
    9

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default

    Hi,

    What are Cory Schneider's chances of becoming a starter in the next 2 years?

    Also, I own Bryzgalov and Howard in my pool, I will keep both but I want to draft a backup/prospect (maybe 2 for trade) for next year (I traded Backstrom). Could you give me your top five in the list below.

    Sergei Bobrovsky, Cory Schneider, Michal Neuvirth, Corey Crawford
    Ondrej Pavelec, Tomas Vokoun, Jacob Markstrom, James Reimer, Anders Lindback, Dwayne Roloson, Antero Niittymaki, Devan Dubnyk, Brian Elliott
    Michael Leighton, Jonas Enroth, Kevin Poulin, Al Montoya, Brian Boucher

    Thanks in advance!
    12 Team Keeper League, 23 Keepers
    Pts only, Count Top 10F, 4D, 2G

    F - Ovechkin, Parise, Johnson, Nugent-Hopkins, Couture, Skinner, Bukarovsky, Granlund, Strome, Nyqvist, Kuznetsov, Lindholm, Draisaitl, Nylander, B. Schenn, Lee
    D - Johnson, Schultz, Barrie, Josi, Ceci
    G - Howard, Schneider, Dubnyk

    ***

    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers + 2 Farm
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

    C- Tavares, Nugent-Hopkins, Lee
    RW- Backes, , Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Ehlers, Nylander
    LW- E. Kane, Hall, Lucic, Boedker, Soderberg
    D- Weber, Yandle, Jones, Gostisbehere, Fowler, Campbell, Deangelo
    G- Elliot, Allen, Howard, Hellebuyck, Markstrom


  3. #3
    senryu's Avatar
    senryu is offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Dobber Sports Newbie

    Default Likely goalie ceiling?

    Without knowing anything else, would you say these guys are likely to be (1) a top 15 NHL starter, (2) a bottom 15 NHL starter, or (3) an NHL backup?

    Matt Hackett
    Alex Stalock
    Alexander Salak

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Rep Power
    0

    Guest

    Default

    Hey,

    Do you think Cory Schneider, Henrik Karlsson (UFA) and Tukka Rask will get a shot as starter next season? I know they're behind Lou, Kip and Thomas, but maybe with a trade or is it unlikely the case?

    And another good question: Who would be your first goalie pick in the next draft?

    Thanks
    Last edited by rycky182; April 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM.

  5. #5
    AFlyers66's Avatar
    AFlyers66 is online now
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,255
    Location
    philly
    Rep Power
    10

    Dobber Sports Ace

    Default

    Justin, thanks for opening up the goalie mailbag.

    I'm in a deep roto keeper (see siggy below), where goalie scouting is highly important & competitive given the 40-man farm team. Once acquired, a goalie can stay on the farm (and be called up to Active and back down unlimited times) up until his 200th career NHL start, not counting as one of my 17 Keepers. This puts a real premium on knowing who to snatch up early, and who to let loose when the future looks bleak. That being said, I'd be real excited to have you evaluate the state of my team's goaltending.

    My 3 Keeper/Active Roster goalies are Luongo, Bryzgalov and Thomas. They have me in a position where I'm in 1st place by 15 roto points with one week to go, and very close to my first championship in this league. Their ages when next season starts, respectively: 32, 31, 37. Lu seems set in VAN; very interested to see if Bryz stays with the Yotes this summer; Thomas has 2 years left in BOS at $5MIL per with Rask in waiting.

    My farm goalies are: Bobrovsky, Reimer, Greiss, B.Elliott, J.Peters, Rynnas, Frazee, J.P.Anderson, Beskorowany, Thiessen, & the Nashville trio of Dekanich, Engren, J.Smith. Who are the "fish" and who are the "cut bait" candidates? Anyone ready to make that surprise step that The Bob & Optimum Reim took this year?

    Thanks for your insights, Justin. As Kenny Banya might say, "It's gold, Jerry, poolie gold!"
    .
    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/50-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,H,Blk,P2D;W,GAA,SV%
    5-Time League Champ
    Active
    F: Perry/Backstrom/Benn/Voracek/DSedin/Neal/Sharp/Hartnell/Backes
    D: Letang/Yandle/Keith/Hedman/Shattenkirk
    G: Rinne/Schneider/BElliott
    Minors
    F: Palat/Fabbri/Rantanen/Goldobin/Ho-Sang/Spooner
    D: Klingberg/Ghost/Pouliot/Matheson/HLindholm/Beaulieu
    G: FAndersen/Mrazek/Hellebuyck/Domingue/Brossoit
    .

  6. #6
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HM870 View Post
    Hi,

    What are Cory Schneider's chances of becoming a starter in the next 2 years?

    Also, I own Bryzgalov and Howard in my pool, I will keep both but I want to draft a backup/prospect (maybe 2 for trade) for next year (I traded Backstrom). Could you give me your top five in the list below.

    Sergei Bobrovsky, Cory Schneider, Michal Neuvirth, Corey Crawford
    Ondrej Pavelec, Tomas Vokoun, Jacob Markstrom, James Reimer, Anders Lindback, Dwayne Roloson, Antero Niittymaki, Devan Dubnyk, Brian Elliott
    Michael Leighton, Jonas Enroth, Kevin Poulin, Al Montoya, Brian Boucher

    Thanks in advance!
    I would say the odds are sitting at 85% for him to be a starter in two more years. He'll start off behind Luongo next season, but I don't think he stays behind him for the whole year and into the following season.

    Schneider, Neuvirth, Pavelec, Crawford and Markstrom would be my top five for sure! Get yourself some quality youth, some guys you know are going to have an impact for many years to come. Vokoun is on real shaky ground right now - his future is totally unknown. I think Reimer goes through some growing pains. I think Dubnyk could be a real big surprise and he's one of those "hidden gems" for a keeper or one-year league for next season...but he doesn't make my top five for a keeper.

  7. #7
    Location
    Fredericton, NB
    Rep Power
    9

    Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

    Default

    Thank you very much Justin!
    12 Team Keeper League, 23 Keepers
    Pts only, Count Top 10F, 4D, 2G

    F - Ovechkin, Parise, Johnson, Nugent-Hopkins, Couture, Skinner, Bukarovsky, Granlund, Strome, Nyqvist, Kuznetsov, Lindholm, Draisaitl, Nylander, B. Schenn, Lee
    D - Johnson, Schultz, Barrie, Josi, Ceci
    G - Howard, Schneider, Dubnyk

    ***

    H2H Daily 12 Team League, 7 Keepers + 2 Farm
    G, A, +/-, SOG, PPP, PIM, HIT, BLK, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

    C- Tavares, Nugent-Hopkins, Lee
    RW- Backes, , Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Ehlers, Nylander
    LW- E. Kane, Hall, Lucic, Boedker, Soderberg
    D- Weber, Yandle, Jones, Gostisbehere, Fowler, Campbell, Deangelo
    G- Elliot, Allen, Howard, Hellebuyck, Markstrom


  8. #8
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Without knowing anything else, would you say these guys are likely to be (1) a top 15 NHL starter, (2) a bottom 15 NHL starter, or (3) an NHL backup?

    Matt Hackett
    Alex Stalock
    Alexander Salak

    Thanks
    I have to do this for skill alone first, since we have to take into account how the team is looking in front of them. I'll let you apply that element to my rankings, because as you know I'm not the wizard of projecting future offense/defense. =)

    Matt Hackett I project to be a bottom 15 NHL starter in regards to his skill set alone. I think he takes a little longer to reach the NHL as a starter because the Wild are very deep in goal and Darcy Kuemper is going to be a stud. But skill-wise, bottom 15.

    Alex Stalock I definitely think (if he stays healthy) is a top-15 NHL starter. He has the mental toughness, the size, the experience in the AHL and the confidence to be one of the better NHL goalies in the league. And the Sharks a good team, so that's a double-whammy.

    Salak is a top-15 goalie for sure and if you're looking for the scoop on next year, there's a hidden gem, dark-horse goalie to own. If he comes over and has a strong training camp, history could go 3-for-3 in Chicago and the "backup" to start the season could evolve into the starter by the second half of the season. Salak is good enough to make it happen. Crawford could be going through the dreaded sophomore slump and Salak will surprise a lot of NHL teams. So he's definitey a Top-15 in skill ... one of my personal favorites right now.

  9. #9
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rycky182 View Post
    Hey,

    Do you think Cory Schneider, Henrik Karlsson (UFA) and Tukka Rask will get a shot as starter next season? I know they're behind Lou, Kip and Thomas, but maybe with a trade or is it unlikely the case?

    And another good question: Who would be your first goalie pick in the next draft?

    Thanks
    Schneider, if traded, is definitely a starter on a bunch of NHL teams (Colorado, Florida if Vokoun walks, PHX if Bryz walks, etc).

    Henrik Karlsson did not play enough and did not get enough exposure to warrant himself getting a starting gig. I really think the Flames need to re-sign him and SERIOUSLY give him 20 starts. Every year they say they are going to rest Kiprusoff and it never happens. If they are pushing for a playoff spot at game 55 or 60, then ride him, but holy shit it's time to give that dude a rest. Sorry for the rant there.

    Rask is a starter on most teams as well ... but Boston won't trade him. I think he's capable of being the starter next year ... but Thomas is going to be good again I'm sure.

    Love this question about the draft!!!!!!!

    And in the make-believe NHL 2011 Entry Draft ..... THE GOALIE GUILD SELECTS ......

    Christopher Gibson!!!!!! over Jordan Binnington

  10. #10
    His Dudeness's Avatar
    His Dudeness is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,871
    Rep Power
    14

    Dobber Sports Stud

    Default

    Thanks for doing this and hoping you have time for one more. Starting goalies are pretty valuable in my deep keeper league (the one in my sig) and I've managed to accumulate 3: Halak, Quck and Howard. It's a cap league (based on salary rather than cap hit) and all 3 of my guys are relatively affordable. My plan in acquiring Howard (I've had the other 2 for a while) was to consider trading 1 of them this summer (and hopefully get someone pretty awesome).

    Obviously a major factor is who I could get for each guy (i.e. a particular trade partner may make me an offer I can't refuse for one of my goalies), but other things being equal, with my league format, who would you be most inclined to trade?

    Thanks very much
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

    F:Giroux,Kessel,Okposo,Schwartz,Galchenyuk,Toffoli ,B.Schenn,SamBennett,Desharnais,Maroon,Namestnikov ,Pageau,Trocheck,Fiala,Khokhlachev,
    D:Hamilton,Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Gardiner,Lindhol m,Hanifin,C Miller
    G:Crawford,Hutchinson,MattMurray

    "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

  11. #11
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AFlyers66 View Post
    Justin, thanks for opening up the goalie mailbag.

    I'm in a deep roto keeper (see siggy below), where goalie scouting is highly important & competitive given the 40-man farm team. Once acquired, a goalie can stay on the farm (and be called up to Active and back down unlimited times) up until his 200th career NHL start, not counting as one of my 17 Keepers. This puts a real premium on knowing who to snatch up early, and who to let loose when the future looks bleak. That being said, I'd be real excited to have you evaluate the state of my team's goaltending.

    My 3 Keeper/Active Roster goalies are Luongo, Bryzgalov and Thomas. They have me in a position where I'm in 1st place by 15 roto points with one week to go, and very close to my first championship in this league. Their ages when next season starts, respectively: 32, 31, 37. Lu seems set in VAN; very interested to see if Bryz stays with the Yotes this summer; Thomas has 2 years left in BOS at $5MIL per with Rask in waiting.

    My farm goalies are: Bobrovsky, Reimer, Greiss, B.Elliott, J.Peters, Rynnas, Frazee, J.P.Anderson, Beskorowany, Thiessen, & the Nashville trio of Dekanich, Engren, J.Smith. Who are the "fish" and who are the "cut bait" candidates? Anyone ready to make that surprise step that The Bob & Optimum Reim took this year?

    Thanks for your insights, Justin. As Kenny Banya might say, "It's gold, Jerry, poolie gold!"
    K had to copy and paste your keeper league:

    HHG - Amish Flyers
    10 team roto keeper (keep 17) w/40-man minors
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG;W,GAA,SV%

    Active G: Luongo/Bryzgalov/Thomas

    Minors G: Bobrovsky/Reimer/Greiss/BElliott/Dekanich/Peters/Rynnas/
    Engren/Thiessen/Frazee/JSmith/JPAnderson/Beskorowany

    Out of your minor-league goalies, I would drop Jeremy Smith, Justin Peters and then Frazee. Frazee I think is turning into a band-aid boy and Brodeur is playing at least one more year. Not to say that Frazee couldn't turn into a legit #1 goalie for New Jersey, but he still has zero NHL experience and I don't think he's starter material.

    I like Jeremy Smith's talent, but Nashville is too deep with Lindback, Dekanich and Engren. If anything, he'll be another Dekanich - NHL potential but probably never breaks the "starter" barrier.

    Frazee ... well ... most of you know that I'm just not a big fan. He's a risk - some more injury problems this year. But hey, you never know what could happen this year. Mabe the Devils FINALLY sense some urgency with Brodeur coming to the end of his career and they graduate Frazee and ave him back up Brodeur next year. IMO, that's a bit of a stretch, but that's his only hope. If he gets that year in with Brodeur, then he's a viable keeper goalie. But as of right now, not so much.

    Peters and then Elliott would be the next two goalies to drop on that list. Peters will be another Harding - rarely plays and when he does, he's rusty. In his limited games this year, man, he was all over the place.

    Elliott is who he is ... the streakiest goalie in the NHL. Risky to hang on to in a keeper league.

    OH!!! And I forgot to tell you ... there's a challenger to "Dark Side" .............. her name is KEYSTONE. Let me know if you know which commercial I'm talking about. Still like Dark Side better though :P

  12. #12
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Thanks for doing this and hoping you have time for one more. Starting goalies are pretty valuable in my deep keeper league (the one in my sig) and I've managed to accumulate 3: Halak, Quck and Howard. It's a cap league (based on salary rather than cap hit) and all 3 of my guys are relatively affordable. My plan in acquiring Howard (I've had the other 2 for a while) was to consider trading 1 of them this summer (and hopefully get someone pretty awesome).

    Obviously a major factor is who I could get for each guy (i.e. a particular trade partner may make me an offer I can't refuse for one of my goalies), but other things being equal, with my league format, who would you be most inclined to trade?

    Thanks very much
    24teams;26players(20roster,6bench)all keepers;
    NHL cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 5pts

    G:Halak,Quick,Howard

    Based on your stats (wins are huge, no points for saves or GAA), definitely looking at Halak being the guy to trade. Bigger salary on a team that is still working it's way into a playoff spot. Howard is your go-to guy ... on the Red Wings and just signed an extension at a real good salary. Quick clearly a great value as well ... low salary (under $2 mil) for the next two years.

    So to me, it's a no-brainer. Halak is probably your "weak link" of the three .... more expensive and on a still rebuilding Blues team. Not that he's destined to be the biggest loser of the three, but you could probably get a good return for someone who is looking more long term. You most valuable goalie trade-wise is Howard by a smidge over Quick.

  13. #13
    Brady19's Avatar
    Brady19 is offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,084
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Rep Power
    12

    Dobber Sports Padawan

    Default

    Keystone = the girl on the bluetooth?

  14. #14
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Rep Power
    17

    The King of Diatribes

    Default

    Yes!!!!!!!!!! Holy hell in a handbasket, someone save me. She is so fine. LOL.

  15. #15
    His Dudeness's Avatar
    His Dudeness is offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,871
    Rep Power
    14

    Dobber Sports Stud

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    24teams;26players(20roster,6bench)all keepers;
    NHL cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 5pts

    G:Halak,Quick,Howard

    Based on your stats (wins are huge, no points for saves or GAA), definitely looking at Halak being the guy to trade. Bigger salary on a team that is still working it's way into a playoff spot. Howard is your go-to guy ... on the Red Wings and just signed an extension at a real good salary. Quick clearly a great value as well ... low salary (under $2 mil) for the next two years.

    So to me, it's a no-brainer. Halak is probably your "weak link" of the three .... more expensive and on a still rebuilding Blues team. Not that he's destined to be the biggest loser of the three, but you could probably get a good return for someone who is looking more long term. You most valuable goalie trade-wise is Howard by a smidge over Quick.
    Much much appreciated. I will keep this in mind when considering trade offers.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

    F:Giroux,Kessel,Okposo,Schwartz,Galchenyuk,Toffoli ,B.Schenn,SamBennett,Desharnais,Maroon,Namestnikov ,Pageau,Trocheck,Fiala,Khokhlachev,
    D:Hamilton,Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Gardiner,Lindhol m,Hanifin,C Miller
    G:Crawford,Hutchinson,MattMurray

    "It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •