Thread: Fantasy Mailbag - March 28

The King of Diatribes

Default Fantasy Mailbag - March 28

This "awesomeness" and annoucement from Dobber is really interesting ... I wonder what it's all about?!?!?! Either way, here's this week's fantasy mailbag. School of Block will probably be delayed an hour or two ... but it will be up this afternoon for sure! It doesn't cover a specific goalie, so fire away!

Can't wait to hear what Dobber's announcement is ... I'm sure it's gonna be good though!

I...am your father.

Lol!!!!!!!!!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The King of Diatribes

What does that mean?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!!??

I wonder if anyone will figure it out in the next 20 minutes. I've told NOBODY. I'm like George Costanza ... you can read my poker face and I have trouble not opening up my vault LOLOL. But I did a good job here.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Congrats Justin, and very best of luck with Goalie Post!

Based on your announcement, part of the work you are going to do there is very close to my latest special interest area i.e. Goalie Start Analysis. I made the final conclusion to the thread you also participated (and also advertised in your latest article, thanks about that!). Can you check my last post there - link to thread in sig. I had an idea there about new tool to add to Frozen Pool. With little fine tuning and brainstorming it might fit better to your portfolio in the "new" Goalie Post... What do you think?

Anyways, to the Fantasy Mailbag. How do you see Hiller/Emery situation going further? Carlyle is now riding hot hand and Emery will get the start today. I doubt they are going with Emery in the Playoffs if Hiller is healthy? At least I cannot find any info that vertigo is still bothering Hiller. I am SO frustrated Hiller owner now that the Fantasy Playoffs semifinals start, and need some assurance not to drop him (other goalies Rinne, Halak and Anderson).

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
    " Sedin is not English for 'Punch me or headlock me in a scrum.' "

-Brian Burke-

Hey, H2H playoff semi-finals this week. Tomorrow night I have 3 goalies going and can only start 2. Which 2 of Bryzgalov, Backstrom, and Bernier would you start. Bryzer is a given and I am leaning towards Bernier against Edmonton. Is that how I should stay??

Dobber Sports Genius

Hey Justin, thanks for taking the time out.

I must choose to keep two of Lundy/Hiller/Bryz.

W,GAA,SA%,SO

Lundy is a given, but my dilemna is between Bryz and Hiller. With Hiller the concern is over his health and with Bryz the concern is twofold-unknown destination, and his contract in my league is almost 10x what I am paying Hiller (still a manageable contract, Hiller is actually a steal).

Your thought are appreciated

thanks again .

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by BabyElias View Post
    Congrats Justin, and very best of luck with Goalie Post!

Based on your announcement, part of the work you are going to do there is very close to my latest special interest area i.e. Goalie Start Analysis. I made the final conclusion to the thread you also participated (and also advertised in your latest article, thanks about that!). Can you check my last post there - link to thread in sig. I had an idea there about new tool to add to Frozen Pool. With little fine tuning and brainstorming it might fit better to your portfolio in the "new" Goalie Post... What do you think?

Anyways, to the Fantasy Mailbag. How do you see Hiller/Emery situation going further? Carlyle is now riding hot hand and Emery will get the start today. I doubt they are going with Emery in the Playoffs if Hiller is healthy? At least I cannot find any info that vertigo is still bothering Hiller. I am SO frustrated Hiller owner now that the Fantasy Playoffs semifinals start, and need some assurance not to drop him (other goalies Rinne, Halak and Anderson).

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
    I will contact you privately about your Goalie Start Analysis thread a little later! Gotta let the dust settle from today's announcement first.

I am still on the Emery train...full steam ahead. I think the Ducks' main priority is to make the playoffs. That takes wins. Emery is undefeated so far (squeaked by with one game, very solid the other 3) and is clearly playing with an insane sense of urgency, from two different sides of the spectrum - fighting to prolong what was a defunct NHL career and fighting to put the Ducks in the playoffs.

Hiller is rusty, twitterpated, janky, you know what I mean? It's really tough to expect him to play at his best, especially since he hasn't played a full game since early-February. I can't really assure you to keep Hiller around ... that's a call you will have to make for yourself. With Anderson, Price and Rinne, it sounds to me like you have plenty of firepower. Is Hiller really going to make that much of a difference?

At the same time, keep in mind that Hiller is only one full-fledged "awesome" outing to getting back into it. One of my more valuable lessons on here in the past was discussing how a goalie's timing and confidence returns and is revived in an amorphic manner. It could be one save, one play, that snaps rhythm back in line ... or it could be a gradual rise that takes 2 - 3 games ... sometimes more or less. It just depends on the goalie, their situation, and every save they make!!

I will keep my eye on the Ducks. I will be watching Emery tonight. You never know what could happen, but I expect Emery to continue to roll. He still looks rigid, but he's playing with a ton of desperation and getting some good help in front of him.

I wouldn't drop Hiller just yet - but I wouldn't necessarily start him in the next game. That's a risk you might have to take depending on how you are performing this week. If you absolutely need the start - roll the dice. If you don't, bench him and see how he does and know that in his 2nd start from now, he'll be much more comfortable and in a better rhythm.

Banned

Congrats on the goaliepost !

Dutch

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by BC Oiler View Post
    Hey, H2H playoff semi-finals this week. Tomorrow night I have 3 goalies going and can only start 2. Which 2 of Bryzgalov, Backstrom, and Bernier would you start. Bryzer is a given and I am leaning towards Bernier against Edmonton. Is that how I should stay??
    Absolutely. Backstrom has fallen off the tracks, Bryzgalov is looking for a big bounce-back game and the Kings will be relying on Bernier to come up with a big win on a depleted team. That lack of offense will lead to Bernier facing more shots, but it's Edmonton. Tricky matchup though, so here's a few stats to boost your decision-making process:

Backstrom vs. STL: 6-6-0 with a 2.65 GAA and .904% and 1 shutout
    Bryzgalov vs. DAL: 12-8-2 with a 2.33 GAA and .921% and 2 shutouts

Bryzgalov's last game against Dallas was a loss.

Still pretty big difference between those two matchups. Bernier and Bryz would be my choices.

The King of Diatribes

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Hey Justin, thanks for taking the time out.

I must choose to keep two of Lundy/Hiller/Bryz.

W,GAA,SA%,SO

Lundy is a given, but my dilemna is between Bryz and Hiller. With Hiller the concern is over his health and with Bryz the concern is twofold-unknown destination, and his contract in my league is almost 10x what I am paying Hiller (still a manageable contract, Hiller is actually a steal).

Your thought are appreciated

thanks again .
    Well, we all know you are definitely keeping Lundqvist. No-brainer, 11 shutouts and to think he's still got many years left in him. Quite an elite goalie you got there.

I would be slightly concerned w/ Bryz's destination, but I fully expect the Coyotes to re-sign him before he hits free-agency. I am not sure what kind of role the ownership situation plays in it all, but I'd have to think they will offer him a fair amount ... he's the glue that holds the Coyotes together on the ice ... they can't afford to lose him.

If Hiller is a steal and 10x LESS than Bryzgalov, I would definitely keep Lundy & Hiller. It's an easy decision in my mind because I am 90% sure that Hiller just needs a summer's worth of rest and rehab (mentally, not so much physically). Kind of similar to what we saw with Halak this year, this was still a year of "learning the ropes" for Hiller and adjusting to playing so many consecutive games. A lot of raw-skilled goalies that come over from Europe need a few years to really settle into that "workhorse" role. Rinne, Halak, Rask, etc ... it rarely happens in one, sometimes not even two seasons.

So I would definitely choose Hiller over Bryzgalov!

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    I will contact you privately about your Goalie Start Analysis thread a little later! Gotta let the dust settle from today's announcement first.
    I'll PM you my e-mail address. I also have other ideas for goalie tools...

Hiller is rusty, twitterpated, janky, you know what I mean? It's really tough to expect him to play at his best, especially since he hasn't played a full game since early-February. I can't really assure you to keep Hiller around ... that's a call you will have to make for yourself. With Anderson, Price and Rinne, it sounds to me like you have plenty of firepower. Is Hiller really going to make that much of a difference?
    Actually I have Rinne, Halak, Hiller and Anderson. With last nights performance I will not drop Hiller yet. Hoping that he could start Wednesday @ CGY and then Sunday vs DAL. But this article sort of got me worried even more: http://ducks.ocregister.com/2011/03/...-hiller/61691/

=> he did not even dress yesterday and Carlyle sort of hinted that he made a mistake when trusting Hiller that he was ready to start against Nashville.

Four goalies are bit too much in our H2H set-up (7 skater cats vs 4 goalie cats), which means I am so close to drop either Anderson or Hiller. If there are more concerns coming from Hiller's health, he will of course be the one to drop.

I will keep my eye on the Ducks. I will be watching Emery tonight. You never know what could happen, but I expect Emery to continue to roll. He still looks rigid, but he's playing with a ton of desperation and getting some good help in front of him.
    So, what did you think about Emery? I only saw couple of Tweets about Emery from you last night.
    " Sedin is not English for 'Punch me or headlock me in a scrum.' "

-Brian Burke-