Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: All hail the King! (Stephen that is)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Thanks boys. Do they get longer after book 1 like I feel every series does? I kind of like how book 1 is only 300 pgs or whatever.
    Yep, the second is a bit bigger than the first and most of the others each are approximately double the length. But it's worth taking your time with it and let yourself sink into the story. Don't rush it.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    In total agreement. Also the Gunslinger was first written in the late 70s and early 80s, and King admitted the language was a bit rough around the edges as well. It took me a second attempt 2-3 years ago to get through it (the first time I tried I didn't know much about the story) but then it got me hooked and read all seven back to back. I have since read them all again.
    First time I read it it felt like a Quentin Tarantino meets Sergio Leone screenplay as written by Timothy Leary.

As Horrorfan said some of those later books are 700-800+ pages, but trust me you won't mind by then. The story will have you reeled in and you'll be wishing the books were longer, I know I did, that's how into it I was.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I might have to return to the Gunslingers... been a long time for me - 20+years since I read the 3rd in the series.
    I'm thinking I'll have to start from Book 1 because the story is completely lost from me except something I imagine as a desert ghost town... that's all my brain can re-muster...

(I have to finish my current read... "The Passage")

So - question... Wiki is saying King revised the Gunslinger in 2003... do I read the new version, or the old?
    Last edited by Pengwin7; June 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I might have to return to the Gunslingers... been a long time for me - 20+years since I read the 3rd in the series.
    I'm thinking I'll have to start from Book 1 because the story is completely lost from me except something I imagine as a desert ghost town... that's all my brain can re-muster...

(I have to finish my current read... "The Passage")

So - question... Wiki is saying King revised the Gunslinger in 2003... do I read the new version, or the old?
    I have the revised version, but I'm not quite sure how different it is to the original one. I believe (and can be corrected) that it partly had to do with the language in that setting, which was a bit rough and didn't flow as well, which some readers found difficult. Not sure about content, but I certainly didn't feel like anything was missing.

I would definitely start it again. I made sure when reading the story (twice) that I read them all in a row. The story sinks in better.

Dobber Sports Icon

Looking forward to his new ones as well. Being patient and waiting for them to come out in paperback here in the UK. Also, don't forget about Wind Through the Keyhole - the latest Dark Tower story, set in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

For those who have read the new ones already, please NO SPOILERS!
    I am currently reading Keyhole - it's only about 300 pgs which was a disappointment. Pretty good so far, but not what I was expecting. Not a lot of time atm to read so I am only about 1/2 way through it.

Under The Dome was brilliant, hope the movie does it justice.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Im almost done the first book of that series. It's been decent so far but is it worth continuing the series?
    Definitely - Drawing of the Three and Wolves of the Calla were my favourites.
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello

I...am your father.

Good list. Another one that I love and is a bit under the radar (other than for us hardcore SK fans) is the Long Walk. Desperation is up there for me as well.

Looking forward to his new ones as well. Being patient and waiting for them to come out in paperback here in the UK. Also, don't forget about Wind Through the Keyhole - the latest Dark Tower story, set in between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla.

For those who have read the new ones already, please NO SPOILERS!
    Long Walk was excellent! I wasn't really counting it since it was part of a collection, although I think it was around 100 pages so one of the longer ones? But thoroughly enjoyed that one.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Long Walk was excellent! I wasn't really counting it since it was part of a collection, although I think it was around 100 pages so one of the longer ones? But thoroughly enjoyed that one.
    It's also available as a stand alone novel. It's actually over 300 pages, but didn't take long to get through it.

Dobber Sports Icon

Not sure how I feel about this - I don't think either actor is right for Roland...Crowe would be better than Bardem though:

http://www.sohood.com/2012/08/russel...rk-tower-lead/

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Not sure how I feel about this - I don't think either actor is right for Roland...Crowe would be better than Bardem though:

Very interesting. For some reason I already envision him as either my character from Red Dead Redemption or the main character of Hell on Wheels.

Either way....I plan to start book 2 of this series tonight. FINALLY.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post

Hmm..I'm not sure about this. It could work, but I just can't see him in the role. Wasn't convinced about Bardem either. Would rather a no-name or young aspiring actor but maybe he'll be ok - time will tell. As long as they don't mess it up and stay true then I say thank ya.

Dobber Sports Icon

Well King said he modeled Roland after a young Clint Eastwood - Crowe is closer to that than Bardem. I think Daniel Craig would be a good choice...

As for Anson Mount (Cullen from Hell On Wheels) he might be a good choice too - would have to see him without the beard though. Apparently there is a Red Dead Redemption movie in the works, and I think he would be perfect for that.

The Wolverine

Another setback:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/08/2...epic-breaking/

Mentioned on the official King website as unofficial, but that several sources are reporting it.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Started the second Dark Tower book on the weekend. Already a couple hundred pages in and loving it.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I'm about to start reading it.