Detroit Red Wings
Dean Youngblood here as the newest member of the "Team Coverage Pages". After viewing the section, I found it necessary to step up and volunteer my services as the team from "HOCKEYTOWN" needs to be represented.
First off, I must admit, I am by no means a die hard wings fan but I have grown up about an hour northeast of Detroit and share the shores of the same waterway as the Joe Louis Arena. I have decided to take on the Red Wing thread because I have always admired the entire organization. The Red Wings organization seems to be put one of the best put together franchises in all of sport. The Ilitches represent the ideal ownership, the management team and coaching staff are idolized around the league. The roster is comprised of the perfect mix - savy veterans who don't seem to age (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Holmstrom), a whack of players in their prime (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Filppula, Franzen) and a bunch of hungry rookies anxious to make their marks in Red Wings history (Jimmy Howard, Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, etc).
I have attended a number of games at the Joe Louis Arena and the Red Wings seem to win every game I attend (seriously, they are like 23-0). Unfortunately, the Joe Louis Arena's days are numbered but if you ever get a chance to attend a game then I recommend you give it a go for a number of reasons:
1. One of the cheapest tickets around - you can get standing room for under $20 (I pay that for standing room at the local OHL game :confused:),
2. Taking a leak in one of the Joe Louis' bathroom's "troughs" is a must do on all sportsmens/womens list
and ....lastly.....and the most important reason to attend a Red Wings' game at Joe Louis Arena.......
3. Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, and Niklas Lidstrom are simply the best players to watch. Datsyuk is the best puckhandler the game has seen since Mario Lemieux and I marvel at his talents.
So before we get started, I want to invite everyone to contribute to this Hockeytown thread as it's the best way to get full value out of it. Like I stated above, I am NOT a DIE HARD WINGS FAN (actually a closet leaf fan ;) )but I felt as though this team NEEDED to be represented. I live in an area that has a lot of Red Wings coverage so I will pass on any information I come across. Ideally, I would love for our largest red wings fan Sentium to come about and contribute because he does have a vast knowledge of the Detroit Franchise (past and present) but I will do my best to keep all things Detroit here for the "WING NUTS" to enjoy.
I will utilize the same format as Shakedown has for his Hawks.
Player news. lines, trades, injuries, etc etc
Some Grand Rapids news that is relevant
Red Wing History ( going down memory lane)
Much much more....
Suggestions are welcomed.
Hey Shakedown, the wings plan an equally great tune in their own barn. The place goes nutts whenever it's played....
Here is probably the number 1 reason why I could never hate the Red Wings (being a Leaf fan)
LOVE this guy
Some Thoughts on Tonight's Game vs the Columbus Blue Jackets
-The Red Wings won tonights game against their division rivals the Columbus Blue Jackets. The Wings came into tonights game needing to beat the Jackets to maintain first place in the Central Division
- Both Steve Mason and Jimmy Howard had strong games but it was Howard's 34 save effort that won the game for the Red Wings. Howard stopped a penalty shot by Jared Boll midway through the 2nd period.
- Hudler played a measly 10:33, 1:57 of which was on the PP and he did register a PPA. However, from the parts I watched him play he seemed to play too passive of a game. He made several unnecessary turnovers and his defensive play leaves something to be desired. I was not impressed with his play at all and now that I have traded him (tonight) I can say that I can see why Babcock has made him a healthy scratch several times.
- Nik Lidstrom went his 2nd straight game without registering a point (+1 though) - I guess he is human after all. Lidstrom is simply amazing. He has registered a point in 14 of his 20 games this season! He is currently on pace for 82 points!
- Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk failed to reach the scoresheet as well but they once again the Wings showed that their wealth of depth pays off as Franzen and Filppula had very very strong games.
- The Wings have reached the 20 game mark and they currently sit 1st in the Western Conference taking 30 of a possible 40 points.
- The Wings will face the BlueJackets in a rematch Sunday in Detroit at 5pm EST
Feel free to add your observations/thoughts
Modano has had surgery on his right wrist - out indefinitely.
Look for this to give Hudler a little longer leash and Abdelkader more icetime on even strength. He will replace Modano as the 3rd line C. I expect Hudler will replace Modano on the 2nd PP unit. It will be interesting to see what Babcock does.
great stuff. so what were the lines from last nights game. bc i thought franzen was going to be on a line with zett and datsyuk or atleast i thought that was the lines the last few games. but i see franzen scoring wihtout datsyuk or zett getting assists.
also what is going on wih datsyuk not recording points each game. he is doing well on the season but seems to be a bit upsetting everyother game. is his game turning more into a team role or is he still have that explosive scroing touch?
Watching a bit of the Wings-Columbus Sunday game right now and the here is how he lines look
PP1 - Datsyuk, Franzen, Holmstrom, Lidstrom and Rafalski
PP2 - Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Filppula, Kronwall and Hudler
1st - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom
2nd - Franzen, Filppula, Bertuzzi
3rd - Cleary, Hudler, Abdelkader
4th - Miller, Helm, Eaves
Lidstrom - Stuart
Rafalski - Ericsson
Kronwall - Salei
Quite the interesting day for the Detroit Red Wings. They were unable to take the morning skate because of a power outage and until a couple of hours ago neither the Sharks or Wings knew if the game would be played.
No worries Wing Nuts, the power has been restored at HP Pavilion and the game will be played at 10:30EST as scheduled
For a little pre-game read, follow this link. It's pretty funny.
Apparently the Red Wings aren't going to be promoting Twitter anytime soon
Some Tidbits from the article,
From Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts this week
Tonight's game vs the SJ Sharks will be the first of 4 regular season games between DET and SJS in 2010-11
Detroit's Record vs. San Jose
60 - 28 - 4 - 0 - 1 (SOL)
Goals for Detroit: 355
Goals against Detroit: 237
24-20-3 Record on the Road vs. San Jose
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.