Studs & Duds - 4/3/2013
1. Boyle & Brassard Clowe in
Wednesday was a big night for these three. All three have been a major disappointment this year on their teams but it seems like the stars have aligned for them together in New York. Check these stat lines:
Brian Boyle - 1G, 3A, 3 SOG, 3PPP, 4 hits, 1 BLK, 3 FOW
Ryane Clowe - 2G, 1A, +2, 5 SOG, 1PPP, 4 hits, 1 BLK
Derrick Brassard - 1G, 3A, 2 SOG, 3PPP, 11 FOW
Even John Moore got in on the action with his first goal of the year. Hell, even Brad Richards grabbed a couple of points!
2. It's about GODDAMN time
For those of us who have been waiting for the kids on Edmonton to break out in a big way, this was everything we could have wanted and more. Taylor Hall was no surprise as he led the way with a goal and a whopping four assists, bumping him up to 41 points in 33 games. Jordan Eberle scored a couple of goals. But the biggest relief to fantasy owners was the production from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. RNH scored a goal and added three assists, and now has 14 points in his last 10 games. This is the RNH that owners were waiting for.
3. Getz some!
With a goal and two assists last night, Ryan Getzlaf finds himself tied for fourth in the league in points. Getzlaf has scored 13 goals and 30 helpers for 43 points in 37 games, and is a sparkling plus-15. He has been a solid contributor across the board averaging almost two hits, a blocked shot, and around eight faceoff wins per game.
Upping the Antti - Antti Niemi has been lights out for the Sharks down the stretch as they cling to a late playoff spot. Niemi stopped 31 of 33 shots tonight, giving him his sixth consecutive victory. He has only allowed six goals on this string of wins, with two shutouts.
Eeexcellent - What a turnaround. Since returning from his second stint on the IR this year, Brent Burns has five goals and seven assists in 12 games. Burns has been bouncing back and forth between forward and defense, and is adding a significant boost in value to owners slotting him in a D slot in deeper leagues.
Stajan hot at the Saddledome - Imagine that you're reading that title as Gary Thorne. Matt Stajan's home and away splits are insane this season. After his two goals tonight, Stajan has 15 points in 18 games at home, versus six points in 16 games on the road.
1. Fleury of goal horns
MAF is probably going to hear them in his sleep tonight after he allowed six goals on 39 shots. Not what owners were hoping for as this was his first start since returning from injury, after stopping all 16 shots he faced last night against Buffalo.
2. Can't start a fire without a spark
Since losing their captain, the Flames have lost three games in a row and allowed a combined 18 goals against, capped off by tonight's eight goal shellacking from the Oilers. Joey MacDonald was left in for a rough one as he was given the task of playing all 60 minutes, and allowed eight goals on 39 shots. Doesn't look like Flames fans are going to have something to look forward to for awhile.
3.What else is new
Another game, another doughnut for Patrick Marleau. After scoring 14 points in his first six games, he's only managed to score 12 points in the past 30. While the rest of the Sharks' stars have at least shown signs of life over the past 30 games or so, Marleau has easily been the least productive.
- Loui Eriksson is back to his slumpy ways as he was held off the score sheet for the fourth consecutive game, and was minus-two.
- Kari Lehtonen allowed four goals on 26 shots.
- Brendan Morrow finally scored his first point as a Penguin. An awesome secondary assist! Woohoo! It was his first point in 11 games...
- The Flyers scored three goals in the final six minutes of the game to pick up the 5-3 win. Jakub Voracek owners got a nice surprise as he scored his 15th goal of the year and added his 22nd assist with less than four minutes left in the game.
- Wayne Simmonds had a fantastic roto night, scoring a goal, adding five penalty minutes, and seven shots on goal, with a hit and a block to boot!
- Remember Radek Dvorak? He scored his first goal in his third game since signing with the Ducks, and it just happened to be against his team from last year (the Stars)
- Kudos to Devan Dubnyk for having the mental toughness to battle after allowing two goals on Calgary's first two shots of the game. Dubnyk stopped the remaining 19 shots on for the W.
- Viktor Fasth followed up his shutout with a solid 23/25 game for the win.
- Okay did anyone else know that Sheldon Souray is tied for first in +/- at +26 with Sid the Kid?...when did that happen?
That's a crazy, but fantastic, stat. Love it.
Originally Posted by bondon
Great job on the post!
^ I second that. Great nugget, bondon.
Originally Posted by newfcollins
Originally Posted by newfcollins
Wanna hear something else that's crazy? I just took a look at his game log and he's only been minus twice in 36 games, and in both cases he was only minus-one.