Studs & Duds - 3/21/2013
1. Vintage Yammy Yager
He did his best to keep the Stars in the game, contributing on all three goals scored, but unfortunately Jaromir Jagr's great performance was wasted tonight. Jagr scored a goal and added two assists, with a plus two rating and three shots on goal.
2. Nasty Nazzy Kadri.
With three assists in tonight's game, Nazem Kadri now has 30 points in 30 games. I think it's safe to classify this as more than a streak. The line of Kulemin, Kadri, and Lupul have been extremely effective in the two games they've played together so far, with a combined 11 points in two games. Kadri has been responsible for five of those 11 points, and is proving to be a key piece in the Leafs' offense.
3. Worth every penny
Ryan Getzlaf is doing his best to make the Ducks look smart for locking him up, as he assisted on both the game tying goal and the game winning goal late in the third period to get the 4-2 win over the Blackhawks. Getzlaf has been spectacular this season with 35 points in 29 games, a huge plus-13 rating, and has pretty much contributed well across the board.
- Niklas Backstrom put out another stud-like performance, making 36 saves on 38 shots for the win.
- Joffrey Lupul now has three goals and an assist, with eight penalty minutes and eight shots on goal in two games since his return. Talk about providing a boost to the lineup.
- Devin Setoguchi and Matt Cullen have easily been the Wild's most effective line over the past month. After posting two points in his first nine games, Setoguchi has exploded for 18 points in his past 19 topped off by tonight's two goal performance. The most impressive stat? Seto is 13th on the team in time on ice per game.
1. Jimmy How-did my ratios get so big
Four goals allowed on 19 shots. .789%. Ouch. that's enough to put owners behind the eight ball this week in head to head leagues. Owners should feel fortunate though as this was Jimmy Howard's first bad start in an otherwise superb month of March.
2. Pat on the back Mr.Kane, you were on the ice for all of the goals...
...scored by your opponent. While Patrick Kane grabbed an assist on the powerplay, that just didn't quite even out the fact that he was on the ice for all four of the Ducks' goals tonight. Johnny O-do you want a goal-ya? and Dave Bolland were minus-three.
3. I'll take One Word Descriptions for 500!
The clue: Ugly
Answer: What is, the Tampa Bay Lightning's goaltending situation tonight.
Ding ding ding!
So Garon gets the hook after allowing three goals, then Lindback comes in. Lindback gives up a goal, and then gets injured, putting Garon back into the net. It just wasn't a pretty one tonight for the Bolts.
- Ryan Useless Hopkins sucks. Oilers only play two games this week and he misses one (so far) due to illness. Oh well, at least he wasn't in the lineup to go minus.
- The Dallas Stars are falling in the standings, as they've gone 1-3-1 in their last five games played. They capped that record off by choking in the third period and allowing the Avs to come back and win the game. Erik Cole, Derek Roy, and Brendan Morrow all went minus-two.
- Paul Stastny went without a point and was minus-two, giving him one point and a minus-six rating in the six games since his three point burst that ended the Blackhawk's winning streak.
- James Reimer had his first good start in a long time, making 26 saves on 28 shots (.929%, 2.00GAA).
- Gustav Nyquist scored his first goal of the year
- Ryan Suter - Just, Wow. 20 points in his last 19 games after tallying another assist. Boy did I have him pegged wrong this year.
- Ray Whitney scored a goal and provided a beastly eight shots. The wizard has five points in five games since returning from injury.
- Teemu Selanne finally scored a goal, his first in 10 games. After posting 14 points in his first 11 games, he went ice cold with only five points now in his last 18 games.
- Shawn Horcoff scored another goal giving him three goals and an assist in five games since returning from injury. During that span the Oilers are 3-0-2. Coincidence? I think not.
Stevie Y should give GMMG a call about Bobby Lu.
Make it happen!
Nice write up bondon. By the way, you skipped a day. ;)
Ugh haha. I woke up too early, I shoulda gone back to bed. I think I might have messed up getzlaf's +/- too. Hehe I'll fix it later thanks!
Originally Posted by horrorfan
I believe Getz is +14, but that's close enough for government work.
Originally Posted by bondon
Solid. "Ryan Useless Hopkins" was classic. LOL