11/14/11 Studs & Duds
With only three games on the docket last night there was plenty of news off the ice. Hall of fame inductions, a waiver claim, injury news and fall out from the Lucic/Miller hit.
1. Congratulations to Joe Nieuwendyk, Eddie Belfour, Mark Howe and Doug Gilmour on being inducted into the HHOF last night. Doug Gilmour also closed out his speech by mentioning he hopes to see the Late Pat Burns honored in the hall soon.
2. Winnipeg Jets finally win a game to earn a rare spot in the studs column.
A solid team effort lead by Evander Kane, Dustin Byfuglien and Tim Stapleton each having a two point night. The win puts an end to five game losing streak.
3. Claude Giroux and Chris Pronger lead Philly offense to victory.
Giroux and Pronger each had a three point night as the Philadelphia offense continues to surge and delivers another win.
Buffalo Sabers rally from down 2-0 to beat Montreal in the shoot out.
Eric Cole had a strong game with two points playing 19:28
Paciorety had another solid game and continues to exert himself as Montreals best forward with a two point night.
Derek Roy's hot streak continues with a two point night and now has eight points in his last four games.
Jhonas Enroth's season record is now 6-0-0 after last nights shoot out win. Enroth made 27 saves on 29 shots posting a .925 save%
1. Cam Ward had a poor game allowing four goals on 21 shots and a pitiful .764 save%. Ward was pulled in the game.
2. Downie soft
Steve Downie continues to struggle this season. Last nights no points and minus three effort brings him to zero points in three games. On the season he has only three points and is a minus 12
3. Flames continue to get burned in Phaneuf deal
Calgary traded Phaneuf to Toronto for Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Ian White, and Jamal Mayers. What is left of that return now?
Stajan was resigned to a contract that has three years left at $3.5M. Stajan has been a regular in the press box this season
Ian White was traded for Anton Babchuk. Babchuk was resigned to a contract that has two years at a $2.5M cap hit. Babchuk has also been a regular in the press box.
Mayers left as a UFA
And now Niklas Hagman has been claimed on re-entry waivers by Anaheim, leaving Calgary with a $1.5M cap hit.
In Toronto this season, Leafs Captain Dion Phaneuf has played all 17 games and has two goals, 10 assists for 12 points and is a plus -4.
No question Calgary hit bottom with the Phaneuf deal. As you point out all they have from that deal is Stajan and Babchuk.
Don't forget they also gave up Keith Aulie. While Aulie is having trouble cracking the Leafs deep lineup on defence some how I think he would have been a nice fit in Calgary.